Words you don't hear much these days

sage

Bobbing.

When I was a teenager, my father owned a pub which had a residential caravan site attached to the property.

There was an old guy named Alec who lived in one of the caravans. Alec was retired, but he was a poacher who made a few bob snaring rabbits, shooting pheasants where he shouldn't and so on.

He also used to catch eels in one of the local ponds using a technique called 'bobbing'.

I used to fish for eels using rod and line, but Alec didn't bother with that fancy stuff. He used a length of flax twine and used a darning needle to thread a dozen or so lobworms on to one end. He would then roll that into a ball and lob it into the pond. (holding on to the other end of the yarn, of course) Sure enough, some time later, 'something' would be attracted to the worms. If it was a tench, it would invariably let go but most of the time it would be a pike or an eel. It would just take him a few seconds to pull the fish in - they couldn't let go immediately because their teeth would get caught in the fibres of the flax.

A quick belt over the head with his 'priest' (a metal club for administering the last rites to the fish), then a couple of minutes gutting the fish and it was ready for the main event. He had a portable 'smoker' - like a big cigar box with charcoal in the bottom, a griddle and a lid. Similar to those portable barbecues you can buy. Light the charcoal, wait 10 minutes, chop the fish up, onto the griddle,, close the lid and half an hour later, he would be tucking into the freshest smoked eel imaginable.

I tried it once. Bloody horrible.

Shewn, as in shown here, or it can be shown….

My Nan used some great words.

Wizened - as in the skin of a an apple that is past its best.

”Nan can I have an apple?”

”You can if you like, but they are a bit wizened.”

Grozzled  (I think she might have made this one up).  When you fry an egg, and the bottom and edges get a bit over cooked and go brown and crispy.  I personally like a grozzled egg…

I quite like…

Pantechnicon - a big removals Lorry.

9 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Macaroon.

Everyone seems to say macaron now and I don't know why.

I reckon it probably started when the current French president took power and I hope it goes back when he's deposed.

9 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Macaroon.

Everyone seems to say macaron now and I don't know why.

I reckon it probably started when the current French president took power and I hope it goes back when he's deposed.

Can we get back to macaroni cheese then as well?

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

This is so true.  Must be 3 decades at least, for me.  So much so, it took a few seconds before I remembered what it was!

Good word though.  I may start using it again!

*The word, not the nongy itself!   ?  

Yes, reminiscing about my school days and it must have been about the same timescale since I've been called one ?

1 hour ago, Hans Datdo-Dishes said:

Nongy

59 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

This is so true.  Must be 3 decades at least, for me.  So much so, it took a few seconds before I remembered what it was!

Good word though.  I may start using it again!

*The word, not the nongy itself!   ?  

56 minutes ago, Hans Datdo-Dishes said:

Yes, reminiscing about my school days and it must have been about the same timescale since I've been called one ?

Never heard of it but its in the Urban dictionary....

nongy · Condom · Put ; Nongie · Condom. Used in Derby, England · Are you ; Nongi. A word for condom used mostly by older british males