Words you don't hear much these days

sage

3 hours ago, sage said:

In the ghettos of South Normanton a jitty was a footpath between houses from one street to another. A gennal was the arched passage between terraced houses. Some old folk said ginnel. 

Ghettos? I'm from 'proper' Normanton - and I don't think we were posh enough to have two seperate words. I think (iirc) we just called it a siding down Stanton Street way. It wasn't a jitty, that was definitely a narrow alleyway linking streets, full public access.

32 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Ghettos? I'm from 'proper' Normanton - and I don't think we were posh enough to have two seperate words. I think (iirc) we just called it a siding down Stanton Street way. It wasn't a jitty, that was definitely a narrow alleyway linking streets, full public access.

Agreed on jitty

On 10/09/2022 at 09:05, therealhantsram said:

Having left Derbyshire many years ago, I haven't heard anyone use the word ginnel in many years. Is it still in use in the homeland?

Very much so. When I lived in Glossop I lived next to a ginnel. We all called it THE ginnel!!

You don't hear the word 'scurrilous' used at all these days despite it being a fine word.

Edited by Miggins