Leicester city in a mess

Geriatram

2 hours ago, JfR said:

It's remarkable how quickly Leicester have gone from the example a lot of people pointed to on "how to run a club" to being seen as a complete mess.

Their recruitment has got worse. Since they won the title they have had the model of selling one big player every summer (Kante, Mahrez, Maguire, Chilwell etc.) and then using that money to improve the squad. They would bring in uncovered gems, good players with a high ceiling and resale value. They have continued to sell players because they have to but the recruitment has been poor. Last season their additions were poor and this season they haven't signed anyone. Their squad has got worse. If you stand still in the premier league you fall behind.

8 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Their recruitment has got worse. Since they won the title they have had the model of selling one big player every summer (Kante, Mahrez, Maguire, Chilwell etc.) and then using that money to improve the squad. They would bring in uncovered gems, good players with a high ceiling and resale value. They have continued to sell players because they have to but the recruitment has been poor. Last season their additions were poor and this season they haven't signed anyone. Their squad has got worse. If you stand still in the premier league you fall behind.

They doubled their money on Fofana but that will be in this years budget not last. 

Apparently they have had a warning from UEFA that they are close to breaking FFP rules, long with Man City, West Ham and Rangers. 

Unless you're one of the 'Big Six' you can guarantee that your number will be up for relegation eventually. I remarked to a Leicester fan I know just before the season started that I thought they would now begin the slow slide. 

They were never going to be able to compete with the bigger clubs over the long term and it seems silly to think they could, yet that appears to be how some of their fans think.

Also, I'm not Brendan Rodgers' biggest fan (that would be Brendan Rodgers) but to want him sacked is odd to me. In 40 years time they will speak of him with reverence as 'our FA Cup winning manager', but for now they want him gone as they have lost sight of that.

2 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Unless you're one of the 'Big Six' you can guarantee that your number will be up for relegation eventually. I remarked to a Leicester fan I know just before the season started that I thought they would now begin the slow slide. 

They were never going to be able to compete with the bigger clubs over the long term and it seems silly to think they could, yet that appears to be how some of their fans think.

Also, I'm not Brendan Rodgers' biggest fan (that would be Brendan Rodgers) but to want him sacked is odd to me. In 40 years time they will speak of him with reverence as 'our FA Cup winning manager', but for now they want him gone as they have lost sight of that.

Brendan Rodgers is similar to Harry Redknapp. Achieved an FA Cup win with a smaller club but ultimately done so on a budget that was beyond their means. Their wage bill is unsustainable.

You are right in that every side outside the top six is a relegation candidate. I used to think it was a top seven with Everton, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see them drop at some point now.

Teams like Southampton, Brighton and Brentford deserve respect. Their wage bills are all £40m or under for the year. Incidentally Palace were at £60m last year. That seems unsustainable too.

I thought Wolves would be high but they were at £35m too. Probably subsidized by Mendes. 

Also, if you want to read something ridiculous, Derby’s annual wage bill under Lampard hit £40m. 

Edited by Bris Vegas

2 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

That's the nature of modern football. It was the same with Ranieri. Lead the club to a historic league title and got binned 8 months later having taken them to the last 16 of the European Cup.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Brendan Rodgers is similar to Harry Redknapp. Achieved an FA Cup win with a smaller club but ultimately done so on a budget that was beyond their means. Their wage bill is unsustainable.

You are right in that every side outside the top six is a relegation candidate. I used to think it was a top seven with Everton, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see them drop at some point now.

Teams like Southampton, Brighton and Brentford deserve respect. Their wage bills are all £40m or under for the year. Incidentally Palace were at £60m last year. That seems unsustainable too.

I thought Wolves would be high but they were at £35m too. Probably subsidized by Mendes. 

Also, if you want to read something ridiculous, Derby’s annual wage bill under Lampard hit £40m. 

I thought that the Rams wage bill peaked under rowett? 

Don't have any evidence to back that up mind, just thought it was talked about at the time. 

21 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I thought that the Rams wage bill peaked under rowett? 

Don't have any evidence to back that up mind, just thought it was talked about at the time. 

I think you might be right.

The summer of Rowett leaving and Lampard joining saw Bent, Jerome, Baird, Shackell, Weimann, Ledley and Vydra leave. Easily over £150k per week on that.

But we signed Malone, Marriott, Waghorn, Jozefzoon, Evans and Holmes on permanent deals. Probably around £100k per week.

23 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think you might be right.

The summer of Rowett leaving and Lampard joining saw Bent, Jerome, Baird, Shackell, Weimann, Ledley and Vydra leave. Easily over £150k per week on that.

But we signed Malone, Marriott, Waghorn, Jozefzoon, Evans and Holmes on permanent deals. Probably around £100k per week.

Either way, you're right that it's an absurd amount of money for a club that was supposedly growing its own in the academy, and which has neither parachute payments or a sister club to provide subsidies... 

11 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Brighton's wage bill was £107m in 20/21. I'm not going to bother looking at the rest, but I know that those other figures are just as far out (other than Derby's)

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Brighton's wage bill was £107m in 20/21. I'm not going to bother looking at the rest, but I know that those other figures are just as far out (other than Derby's)

£107m? Where have you got that figure from?

That is £2m a week. That puts 25 players on an average of over £80k per week. There is no chance of that.

Don’t get me wrong, the salaries above which I wrote were off Spotrac. Some need updating, and they are base salaries which do not include clauses, bonuses or other incentives.

Edited by Bris Vegas

35 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

That is £2m a week. That puts 25 players on an average of over £80k per week. There is no chance of that.

Don’t get me wrong, the salaries above which I wrote were off Spotrac. Some need updating, and they are base salaries which do not include clauses, bonuses or other incentives.

Brighton's wage is around £50m. At the start of the season Caicado was on £3.5k a week. I would imagine a new contract has been dangled. 

34 minutes ago, sage said:

Brighton's wage is around £50m. At the start of the season Caicado was on £3.5k a week. I would imagine a new contract has been dangled. 

Sounds about right.

Either way, Leicester’s wage bill was a good 70%+ higher than the likes of Brighton, Soton and Wolves.

Which isn’t sustainable without CL football for a club of that size.

Seems the sales of Maguire, Chillwell and Mahrez in recent years have kept their head above water.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sounds about right.

Either way, Leicester’s wage bill was a good 70%+ higher than the likes of Brighton, Soton and Wolves.

Seems the sales of Maguire, Chillwell and Mahrez in recent years have kept their head above water.

Just like the the gap between Prem and Championship, the gap between Prem and Champions League is destabilising football. 

54 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sounds about right.

Fools must have thought it was a given they’d get CL every season because they’d won the Prem.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

From the accounts