Leicester city in a mess

Geriatram

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sounds about right.

Either way, Leicester’s wage bill was a good 70%+ higher than the likes of Brighton, Soton and Wolves.

Which isn’t sustainable without CL football for a club of that size.

Seems the sales of Maguire, Chillwell and Mahrez in recent years have kept their head above water.

In 20/21

Leicester - £192m wages, £226m revenue

Wolves - £138m wages, £194m revenue

Palace - £127m wages, £134m revenue (11 months)

Southampton - £113m wages, £157m revenue

Brighton - £107m wages, £139m revenue 

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

£107m? Where have you got that figure from?

That is £2m a week. That puts 25 players on an average of over £80k per week. There is no chance of that.

Don’t get me wrong, the salaries above which I wrote were off Spotrac. Some need updating, and they are base salaries which do not include clauses, bonuses or other incentives.

"The average wage of a Brighton player topped £50,000 a week for the first time
Brighton players earned an average of £50,601 per week in 2020-21, the first time in the club’s history that pay has gone beyond the £50,000. The average wage of the Albion’s 2016-17 promotion winning squad was £18,753 per week.

In 2017-18, Chris Hughton’s side ended the campaign 15th in the Premier League with an average weekly pay of £36,049. Graham Potter worked with a squad of players in 2020-21 who were paid around 38% more than Hughton’s team and finished a place lower.

The Albion’s total wage bill increased by over £5 million, up from £103.2 million in 2019-20 to £108.9 million. Expenditure on matchday staff dropped as games took place behind closed doors, requiring only 90 non-playing staff employed on a part time basis compared to 536 in 2019-20."

And from 2019

Edited by GenBr

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In 20/21

Leicester - £192m wages, £226m revenue

Wolves - £138m wages, £194m revenue

Palace - £127m wages, £134m revenue (11 months)

Southampton - £113m wages, £157m revenue

Brighton - £107m wages, £139m revenue 

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

"The average wage of a Brighton player topped £50,000 a week for the first time
Brighton players earned an average of £50,601 per week in 2020-21, the first time in the club’s history that pay has gone beyond the £50,000. The average wage of the Albion’s 2016-17 promotion winning squad was £18,753 per week.

In 2017-18, Chris Hughton’s side ended the campaign 15th in the Premier League with an average weekly pay of £36,049. Graham Potter worked with a squad of players in 2020-21 who were paid around 38% more than Hughton’s team and finished a place lower.

The Albion’s total wage bill increased by over £5 million, up from £103.2 million in 2019-20 to £108.9 million. Expenditure on matchday staff dropped as games took place behind closed doors, requiring only 90 non-playing staff employed on a part time basis compared to 536 in 2019-20."

And from 2019

Interesting. Spotrac had the proportion correct, but most of the wages at 50% the reflected value above. It was listed at base salary, wonder if clauses/bonuses really accounted for 50%. Seems unlikely, but then again I don’t know how football contracts are put together.

What I don’t understand is how Brighton had an average of £50k yet a £107m bill. That covers 40 players.

But going back to Leicester, they were making smaller profits than the likes of Wolves and Southampton. Now they’re not in Europe, without big sales their wage expenditure will be more than their revenue.

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

What I don’t understand is how Brighton had an average of £50k yet a £107m bill. That covers 40 players.

Yeh i thought that was strange as well. I think it covers non playing staff as well, but even so you wouldnt expect those wages to make a massive dent on that total

In the same way that many clubs who were once in the PL view themselves as PL clubs still (ask a Stoke or Bolton fan etc and I'm fairly sure they'd say "we're a Premier League club, we should be up there") there is now a small cohort of teams emerging who equally think they deserve to be an elite club. Their fans then insist on the club spending elite money on players in the hope of getting into the CL but the obvious major obstacle to this is that there are only four places in it.

When you have 7 or 8 clubs competing for 4 CL places then half of them will lose out and have their delusions of grander burst in front of their eyes. For me this is what is happening to Leicester now, and may happen to Newcastle in the future too.

1 hour ago, LittleEatonRam said:

In the same way that many clubs who were once in the PL view themselves as PL clubs still (ask a Stoke or Bolton fan etc and I'm fairly sure they'd say "we're a Premier League club, we should be up there") there is now a small cohort of teams emerging who equally think they deserve to be an elite club. Their fans then insist on the club spending elite money on players in the hope of getting into the CL but the obvious major obstacle to this is that there are only four places in it.

When you have 7 or 8 clubs competing for 4 CL places then half of them will lose out and have their delusions of grander burst in front of their eyes. For me this is what is happening to Leicester now, and may happen to Newcastle in the future too.

Newcastle fans have always had delusions of grandeur. Gonna be even worse if the petro state can't achieve their rightful place a the top of English football

12 hours ago, GenBr said:

Newcastle fans have always had delusions of grandeur. Gonna be even worse if the petro state can't achieve their rightful place a the top of English football

11 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

They are increasing the capacity of their shed by 8000. Seats that won’t ever be required. 

They’re a massive club, massive under achievers for years. 

15 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

The stars aligned for Leicester   They had good owners, good management and lots of luck. For Newcastle for the last 30 years the turds have aligned. That’s changing and if they get it right they’ll be at the top table 

Leicester are massively under performing. I rate Rodger’s as a manager but after 2 seasons his methods do tend to go boobs up. 

Actually fear them as it’s reported they’d need to give BR a £20m payout and they’re cutting their cloth to stay within FFP. 

BR doesn’t want to be there and the players don’t want to play for him. A change is needed otherwise they could end up back in the championship which would be crazy for saying how well they’ve played these last 5 seasons.

19 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Leicester are massively under performing. I rate Rodger’s as a manager but after 2 seasons his methods do tend to go boobs up. 

Actually fear them as it’s reported they’d need to give BR a £20m payout and they’re cutting their cloth to stay within FFP. 

BR doesn’t want to be there and the players don’t want to play for him. A change is needed otherwise they could end up back in the championship which would be crazy for saying how well they’ve played these last 5 seasons.

They’re massively underachieving considering they finished 8th last season and are currently bottom.

But they have time to turn it around.

Injuries haven’t helped, and they were dealt a tough start with Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd in their first six games. Throw in Brighton away too and they’ve probably had the toughest start of any club in the bottom half.

They have Spurs away next.

But after that they have a run against Forest, Bournemouth, Palace and Leeds. If they’re cut adrift after that it could be panic stations.

You’re right though. Seems obvious BR doesn’t want to be there anymore. And why would he? He left Celtic for a PL club with European ambitions. I don’t think he would have left them for say Crystal Palace and now Leicester are back within that group.

On 08/09/2022 at 00:33, kevinhectoring said:

The stars aligned for Leicester   They had good owners, good management and lots of luck. For Newcastle for the last 30 years the turds have aligned. That’s changing and if they get it right they’ll be at the top table 

I've always thought, if I excluded Derby, what team would I like to manage and win the PL with, it would be Newcastle.

The manager who brings success back to their door will be remembered forever.

They're paying the price for choking 2 seasons in a row for a champions league spot. Personally, looking at the highlights, the discontent amongst the squad and the inability to make any real additions I think they're in real trouble. Players are wanting to jump ship and Rodgers will struggle to get a tune out of them. I think the plan for expanding the stadium may now be looking a bit silly ending up with a Sunderland size stadium but without the fanbase to fill it. They've done tremendously well to overreach themselves, their fans have not exactly covered themselves in glory during this time but I can see a bump back down to earth coming soon.

On 07/09/2022 at 23:00, kevinhectoring said:

They’re a massive club, massive under achievers for years

On 11/09/2022 at 23:54, Rev said:

I've always thought, if I excluded Derby, what team would I like to manage and win the PL with, it would be Newcastle.

The manager who brings success back to their door will be remembered forever.

The last 30 years? They haven't won the league since 1927 (before that it was 1909), the FA Cup since 1955 and their only European title is an Anglo-Italian cup win in 1973. They've spent a quarter of their entire history playing below the top level.

How long can you be massive underachievers before you accept that your level is the one you've consistently been at for the majority of the past 100+ years?

Are we really holding something they achieved 5 years short of a century ago as evidence to their size as a club?

What success exactly is it that's being brought back? Ah yes, the glory days of 1905-1909 & 1996-1997. 7 seasons out of 129 years.

They had a couple of flash-in-the-pan spells under Dalgliesh(?) & Keegan where they challenged for the Premiership title (as it was called all 25 years ago) but they were seasons in which the club overachieved, they weren't the norm, nor an indication of their true level.

Their true level is lower to upper-mid table "Premier League" , with the odd flirtation with the top two, and the occasional drop down to a lower level. Exactly as it has been for the past 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90+ years.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

The last 30 years? They haven't won the league since 1927 (before that it was 1909), the FA Cup since 1955 and their only European title is an Anglo-Italian cup win in 1973. They've spent a quarter of their entire history playing below the top level.

You omit the fact that in 1969 they won the Inter Cities Fairs Cup, which in 1971 became the UEFA Cup and is now the Europa League.

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

You omit the fact that in 1969 they won the Inter Cities Fairs Cup, which in 1971 became the UEFA Cup and is now the Europa League.

Not intentionally, I would have mentioned it had I seen it but even so it doesn't really make much of a difference.

It looks like they faced some good teams to win that, although it's difficult to judge the actual quality of opposition at the time by name alone.

It's a competition that's not even recognised by UEFA (doesn't officially go on their European record) and which they qualified for despite finishing 10th (out of 22, again roughly par for the course) which wouldn't usually have been good enough to qualify but for 'a series of fortunate events' - http://nufc-history.co.uk/nufc-1967-68-season.html

It didn't 'become the UEFA Cup' exactly, they're separate competitions with different entry criteria. I'd imagine that Newcastle probably benefited from there being a rule in place at the time that you could only have one club per city in the tournament.

If nothing else this has been an interesting history lesson.

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Not intentionally, I would have mentioned it had I seen it but even so it doesn't really make much of a difference.

It looks like they faced some good teams to win that, although it's difficult to judge the actual quality of opposition at the time by name alone.

It's a competition that's not even recognised by EUFA (doesn't officially go on their European record) and which they qualified for despite finishing 10th (out of 22, again roughly par for the course) which wouldn't have been good enough but for 'a series of fortunate events' granting them qualification - http://nufc-history.co.uk/nufc-1967-68-season.html

For all that, it was an achievement well respected and recognised by all of us who were around at the time. To undermine NUFC for that is similar to those from supporters of other clubs who dismissed Derby County's winning of the League title in 1972, because our players were on holiday in Majorca on the night Leeds and Liverpool 'lost' it; they overlooked the fact that we had more points than both of them.

2 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

How long can you be massive underachievers before you accept that your level is the one you've consistently been at for the majority of the past 100+ years?

Are we really holding something they achieved 5 years short of a century ago as evidence to their size as a club?

What success exactly is it that's being brought back? Ah yes, the glory days of 1905-1909 & 1996-1997. 7 seasons out of 129 years.

They had a couple of flash-in-the-pan spells under Dalgliesh(?) & Keegan where they challenged for the Premiership title (as it was called all 25 years ago) but they were seasons in which the club overachieved, they weren't the norm, nor an indication of their true level.

Their true level is lower to upper-mid table "Premier League" , with the odd flirtation with the top two, and the occasional drop down to a lower level. Exactly as it has been for the past 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90+ years.

Yet, their all-time average (mean) league position puts them ahead of Chelsea and Spurs, and a median position ahead of Man City.

They're only one of twelve clubs to have an average league position of top 20 in the top division.