George Thorne

Carl Sagan

Gorgeous George doing the Radio Derby punditry beside Ed Dawes tonight in the League Cup against West Brom. What might have been? Almost everyone thought signing him was the closest guarantee of promotion we could get. 

I remember one evening when Sam Rush was doing an event with some London Rams (he even brought free iPro with him - yes it did exist!) and he asked us the question, "Where were you when you heard George Thorne had got injured". Had it not happened, I daresay Mel Morris would now be lauded as a hero. Fate is a fickle mistress.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Gorgeous George doing the Radio Derby punditry beside Ed Dawes tonight in the League Cup against West Brom. What might have been? Almost everyone thought signing him was the closest guarantee of promotion we could get. 

I remember one evening when Sam Rush was doing an event with some London Rams (he even brought free iPro with him - yes it did exist!) and he asked us the question, "Where were you when you heard George Thorne had got injured". Had it not happened, I daresay Mel Morris would now be lauded as a hero. Fate is a fickle mistress.

That injury on what constituted a turned over crop field in 14/15 preseason stopped us getting promoted.  Wassall playing him against the filthiest midfield in the league, against a player with a broken ankle and leg already notched on his boots that season cost us promotion.  My mind won't be swayed.  Doesn't really endear himself to me as a person from when I've heard him but a hundred miles apart from any all round midfielder I've seen in the championship in the last 10 years. 

He didn't sound bitter in fact to the contrary praised most of the managers he had. Sadly a misdiagnosed injury ruined his last comeback . Worse unknown to him the club had a pay each game £ WBA more and MM blocked that and Frank had to conceal that reason. Anyway, seemed insightful not sure what he is up to these days . Anyone know ?

11 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

Still have a clear memory of him breaking his leg, it was awful right in front of the north stand.. Johnny Russell was shouting to the bench before play had stopped. Awful sight, but they both went for the same ball, not really the fault of the other guy. 

That bloke had a reputation as a dirty bar steward. He may not have intended to break his leg but he wasn’t going to pull out a 50/50 that involved full force.

27 minutes ago, Magicman said:

He didn't sound bitter in fact to the contrary praised most of the managers he had. Sadly a misdiagnosed injury ruined his last comeback . Worse unknown to him the club had a pay each game £ WBA more and MM blocked that and Frank had to conceal that reason. Anyway, seemed insightful not sure what he is up to these days . Anyone know ?

Just listened to the full interview.  It was really good.  Said that he’s doing some coaching with the academy, looking to get his qualifications and then, hopefully, be part of the coaching staff.

I don’t know whether I look back with rose tinted glasses but he was a superb player.  Top quality and too good for the Championship.  A fit George Thorne and we’d have walked the league in 15/16.  Quite sad listening to him talk about his leg break.  Sounds like everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

38 minutes ago, Magicman said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/george-thorne-derby-county-coaching-7505847

George Thorne has revealed how he has had "brief conversations" about a return to Derby County in a coaching capacity.

"I've got to do specific qualifications in order to meet the requirements because it's a category one academy. Once I've got those sorted, I've had brief conversations with the club and hopefully, it's something we can do."

Best player my generation’s seen in a Derby shirt. 

Positioning wise he was absolutely perfect as a #6. I’ve eulogised it before, but if you were to coach somebody how to play the position, his involvement in both of these goals is textbook. 

Ensuring he receives the ball on the back foot, opens his body, zips a ball forward.

Huddlestone was more aesthetically pleasing, better left foot, maybeeee even better at making half a yard… but he wasn’t anywhere near as effective as George.

George would sometime zip them at the receiver too hard, but at the end of the day, that’s the matter’s problem, really

On 24/08/2022 at 17:24, Simmo’s left foot said:

Still have a clear memory of him breaking his leg, it was awful right in front of the north stand.. Johnny Russell was shouting to the bench before play had stopped. Awful sight, but they both went for the same ball, not really the fault of the other guy. 

Filthy player Douglas. Studs up .  Had another broken leg and shattered ankle to his credit that season.  Had another one in midfield Hyam who was equally filthy.

The part I liked was how he said he’d loved to have had McGoldrick playing in front of him.
Also Hugely revealing when you hear how Frank couldn’t tell him about the WBA / Mel money thing but how straight Gary Rowett was both about that and his fitness training. We christened him Snakey but when you think think of the background, would you have stayed ? 

His delivery is dull but the content was fascinating. Hope he makes a new career with us or elsewhere. Was a pleasure to watch. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
48 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

He started for Bedford against Mickleover yesterday,went off injured after 12 minutes. He’s still only 30 years old, he was the best midfielder we’ve had since Jim Smith’s time just very unlucky with injuries 

He was joy to watch, That goal he scored at Blackpool from 30 yards was worth the entrance fee alone 👍