Second Half Performances

RAM1966

I do not want to get on anyones back at such an early stage of the season, but, our second half performances seem to be lacking.

Yesterday we hardly got out of our own half after the break.  Maybe its because the players are running out of steam, or could it be that teams are working out how to makes tweaks to play better against us? I'd suggest the later.

I hope LR works on this, because the game last week we really should of won, but, the second half we looked like a different team.

Yesterday we had a nervous 30+ mins trying to hang on.  Like I say, I'm not knocking LR so early,but, I think he needs to be able to address HT adjustments made by the opposition better than we currently are.  

COYR

Edited by RAM1966

Think it's mainly a fitness thing, but it is alarming and could be addressed better. When we didn't have a proper pre-season people are saying we won't get up to match fitness until October. 

For me our fittest player is Knight and we need him in the heart of midfield to give us more energy there. I think the physical transformation in Sibley this season is amazing and we also need his physicality in the middle of midfield. 

Neither of our two new wingers has the stamina right now and it seems the wrong approach to start them both and have them run out of steam by half-time. If we want consistent energy throughout the game it makes more sense to rotate Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen rather than play them together.

We need to sort it out for sure.

Yes, fitness is some of it but surely some of it is the coaches of the other team saying "right, that's what they're doing, start doing this to stop it" and "you got pasted that half do not let it happen this half" and whilst the other team trying harder is kind of their job, adapting when they've started to shut down things that were working before is something for LR to think on.

13 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

I do not want to get on anyones back at such an early stage of the season, but, our second half performances seem to be lacking.

Yesterday we hardly got out of our own half after the break.  Maybe its because the players are running out of steam, or could it be that teams are working out how to makes tweaks to play better against us? I'd suggest the later.

I hope LR works on this, because the game last week we really should of won, but, the second half we looked like a different team.

Yesterday we had a nervous 30+ mins trying to hang on.  Like I say, I'm not knocking LR so early,but, I think he needs to be able to address HT adjustments made by the opposition better than we currently are.  

COYR

100% agree,rosenior doesn't seem to be able to work out and counter what the other managers have done to change their play,hope he learns quickly.this is exactly why clowes is right not giving him the job full time just yet,see if he can adjust to the task and then give him the job

a) Pre season started 2 weeks behind everyone else

b( No players aged 22-29

c) we don't have a full and fully fit bench 

These issues were inevitable and i'm surprised at so many supporters who can't understand this. 

Our biggest issue for me that we can control is the front three/four not holding on to the ball to allow the back six/seven to move forwards then maintain possession.   

Give us a little more time, We're still behind others where a late close season training programme is weeks behind others, Yesterday was 35 degrees OFF THE PITCH Christ knows how hot it was on the pitch, I'm very pale skinned not Albino esq but yesterday wiped me out, Walking too and from the ground, I had to bail out at 6pm from the pub I was bol loxed, Recovered enough to go out for a walk this morning.

It'll come good as we play and train more, 3 wins from 4 with a new team is a very good sign for a good season ahead.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

a) Pre season started 2 weeks behind everyone else

b( No players aged 22-29

c) we don't have a full and fully fit bench 

These issues were inevitable and i'm surprised at so many supporters who can't understand this. 

Our biggest issue for me that we can control is the front three/four not holding on to the ball to allow the back six/seven to move forwards then maintain possession.   

I appreciate we've not had as much time to prepare, if its down to fitness that's fair enough.

As I've said, its not a major criticism, its just an observation that LR seems to be at the moment struggling with addressing second half tactical changes.

I'd really like LR to succeed, he's stayed when he could of gone to Blackpool.  He's still learning as a manager and 6 points out of 9 is not a bad return either, so Im not lambasting him just yet.

Also we have played 3 teams who are amongst the strongest in Lg 1. Oxford we’re good & very tactically astute. Barnsley also looked a Vg footballing side. But I demure to @Carl Sagan above: our midfield just isn’t right…please Liam get a right full-back in and get Knighty in right-midfield. This will relieve the defensive onus on NML to track back and give us more of a platform. Get Bird, and Knight together more and the pressure on our defence will reduce. It ain’t rocket science. 

Yes we saw the game out yesterday but Barnsley could’ve punished us; they missed 2 opportunities. I expect to see the next signing being a right full-back; if not, we will continue to rely on key individuals and not the Team as a unit winning games. 

Fitness is a factor but an unbalanced formation is too.

36 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Also we have played 3 teams who are amongst the strongest in Lg 1. Oxford we’re good & very tactically astute. Barnsley also looked a Vg footballing side. But I demure to @Carl Sagan above: our midfield just isn’t right…please Liam get a right full-back in and get Knighty in right-midfield. This will relieve the defensive onus on NML to track back and give us more of a platform. Get Bird, and Knight together more and the pressure on our defence will reduce. It ain’t rocket science. 

Yes we saw the game out yesterday but Barnsley could’ve punished us; they missed 2 opportunities. I expect to see the next signing being a right full-back; if not, we will continue to rely on key individuals and not the Team as a unit winning games. 

Fitness is a factor but an unbalanced formation is too.

I agree about the midfield three. You can't start Sibley and Hourihane in a midfield three IMO

18 minutes ago, sage said:

I agree about the midfield three. You can't start Sibley and Hourihane in a midfield three IMO

I think you can but in my proposed selections I've been proposing a midfield 4 of Bird, Knight, Sibley and Hourihane with one winger starting likely replaced by the other, rotating wings and lots of rotation and movement in the rest of the midfield. 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think you can but in my proposed selections I've been proposing a midfield 4 of Bird, Knight, Sibley and Hourihane with one winger starting likely replaced by the other, rotating wings and lots of rotation and movement in the rest of the midfield. 

so a 442 or Knight or Sibley playing in the advanced 3?

There was a time, some while ago, when I was often asked to give a second half performance. In truth I could never reach first half heights, which was partly down to stamina, and mostly down to little juice In the tank. Fortunately I was often able to take a stimulant to enhance the performance, but both the EFL and FIFA take a dim view of such arrangements. I therefore have some sympathy for some of the limp performances second half, and given the heat I think a number of our players would have been grateful to be quickly yanked off. 

1 hour ago, RAM1966 said:

I appreciate we've not had as much time to prepare, if its down to fitness that's fair enough.

As I've said, its not a major criticism, its just an observation that LR seems to be at the moment struggling with addressing second half tactical changes.

I'd really like LR to succeed, he's stayed when he could of gone to Blackpool.  He's still learning as a manager and 6 points out of 9 is not a bad return either, so Im not lambasting him just yet.

But it is not just down to LR's instructions. Adapting to the other team's changes is easier when you have a settled team who know how they all work together. The players on the pitch and especially the leaders can see where changes are affecting them. If you have only just started playing together it's not that easy.

1 hour ago, TINMANTED said:

100% agree,rosenior doesn't seem to be able to work out and counter what the other managers have done to change their play,hope he learns quickly.this is exactly why clowes is right not giving him the job full time just yet,see if he can adjust to the task and then give him the job

He did make a change. When Smith had been on about ten minutes , he was moved alongside Bird in a 4231. Barnsley stopped running through us and started hitting it long. He then brought on Forsyth to counter this.    

2 hours ago, RAM1966 said:

COYR

Oxford:

They were better team in first half, we dominated 2nd half without creating too many chances. Just about deserved it when it came.

Charlton:

Superb, high energy performance in 1st half where we should have been out of sight. They started better in 2nd half, although we improved just as they caught us on the break. Dominated rest of half and should have equalised, although they could have scored more on the counter as we pushed for goal.

Barnsley:

Seemed like we were a bit lucky to go in 2 goals up. As in nearly all games of football, the team losing ends up with with more of the ball as the leading team naturally drops off and tries to protect their lead. Managed to hold on and get 3 points.

I think we need a much bigger sample size until we should be worried about our 2nd half performances. 6 points against 3 teams who are realisitic playoff contenders is a great start. Especially after short pre-season and loads of new players. I'd give Liam 9/10 so far under the circumstances.