James Collins and the positional movements

TuffLuff

Apologies as I couldn’t find Collins’ previous thread on here so started a new one. Please merge is necessary!

Anyway after watching Hourihane’s goal for the 178th time quite casually on Twitter, for the first time I spotted what Collins did and it’s importance. Just for all the naysayers out there really.

Anyway first phase is show in image one:

EA1288E9-A312-43E2-8F02-5C5332E36F10.jpeg

Collins sits neatly in between the two defenders although one isn’t on screen. As the ball gets passed to Hourihane and the defender directly in front of Collins’ moves to the ball, of which I don’t think he has a choice, what does Collins do?

1C087777-6841-43C4-94C5-211F3949F777.jpeg

As shown in image 2, Collins moves behind the second defender, meaning D2 has to stay wide and this leaves the gap for Hourihane to have a clear strike on goal. Simple movement as it’s effectively two steps left. Hourihane gets the plaudits but never under estimate how a good strikers positioning can impact a goal. Reckon we will see a lot of this over the season, many will whinge about his scoring stats if it’s he’s not banging them in every game but strikers play a valuable attacking role in many different ways

Edited by TuffLuff
Re- formatted

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Apologies as I couldn’t find Collins’ previous thread on here so started a new one. Please merge is necessary!

Anyway after watching Hourihane’s goal for the 178th time quite casually on Twitter, for the first time I spotted what Collins did and it’s importance. Just for all the naysayers out there really.

Anyway first phase is show in image one (sorry I can’t format this on my phone so I written it on the photo),

Collins sits neatly on between the two defenders although one isn’t on screen. As the ball gets passed to Hourihane and the defender directly in front of Collins’ moves to the ball, of which I don’t think he has a choice, what does Collins do?

As shown in image 2, Collins moves behind the second defender, meaning D2 has to stay wide and this leaves the gap for Hourihane to have a clear strike on goal. Simple movement, Hourihane gets the plaudits but never under estimate how a good strikers positioning can impact a goal. Reckon we will see a lot of this over the season, many will whinge about his scoring stats if it’s he’s not banging them in every game but strikers play a valuable attacking role in many different ways

Or he lazily stands offside while defenders try to close down the shot. 

The defenders move. He stands still. 

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

He doesn’t stand still?

But he's still offside and couldn't react to a rebound off the post or keeper. We haven't seen enough of any of these new players, to make a lasting judgement. I remember thinking that Andy Todd and Bob Malcolm were great signings after their first game.

I'd prefer to talk about Sibley's beautifully threaded pass between 4 players, inch perfect.

6 minutes ago, ram59 said:

But he's still offside and couldn't react to a rebound off the post or keeper. We haven't seen enough of any of these new players, to make a lasting judgement. I remember thinking that Andy Todd and Bob Malcolm were great signings after their first game.

I'd prefer to talk about Sibley's beautifully threaded pass between 4 players, inch perfect.

Where do you want him to be? If he’s in any onside position near to where he started he’d be directly in Hourihane’s shooting path. He’s offside when the shot goes in only because the defender pushes out cause he’s not marking Collin’s in the first place.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

He is where you’d want a striker to be. Barkhuizen is calling for the ball, and if he gets played in down the left then Collins is in a great position for a cut-back.

I'm not criticising him, just pointing out he stood still, not making some genius movement as per the long original post and accompanying pictures, which show the exact opposite of the point he is trying to make. 

Frankly is was a Liz Truss post and response. 

I caught it a couple of times in the Berlin game when Mc Goldrick was moving forward on the edge of the box. Ball could go wide to winger or inside to 6 yard box. Colin’s times his peel off into the danger area very well. He’s going to poach, has good positional brain. He’ll score. He also works hard and doesn’t fall over. My only wish is that he gets one asap for his own self confidence. He will want to look at us and his team mates and say I am your number 9, both my shirt and the score sheet say so.

8 hours ago, sage said:

He is in the exact same position, just turned round. 

The defenders have moved about 5 yards. 

Look at the lines on the pitch. 

8 hours ago, sage said:

He is in the exact same position, just turned round. 

The defenders have moved about 5 yards. 

Look at the lines on the pitch. 

If you extend the line for the six yard box (just hold a straight edge up against the screen) you’ll see he clearly has moved further away from the goal. However, you can’t judge a player’s contribution (good or bad) simply based on one movement of play.

I am confident that he will do well for us (goals, assists, movement off the ball, free kicks won in important positions etc) but I will reserve judgement until he’s had a decent number of games to make an impression.

Just now, Tamworthram said:

If you extend the line for the six yard box (just hold a straight edge up against the screen) you’ll see he clearly has moved further away from the goal. However, you can’t judge a player’s contribution (good or bad) simply based on one movement of play.

I am confident that he will do well for us (goals, assists, movement off the ball, free kicks won in important positions etc) but I will reserve judgement until he’s had a decent number of games to make an impression.

9 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Anyway first phase is show in image one:

Collins sits neatly in between the two defenders although one isn’t on screen. As the ball gets passed to Hourihane and the defender directly in front of Collins’ moves to the ball, of which I don’t think he has a choice, what does Collins do?

As shown in image 2, Collins moves behind the second defender, meaning D2 has to stay wide and this leaves the gap for Hourihane to have a clear strike on goal. Simple movement as it’s effectively two steps left. Hourihane gets the plaudits but never under estimate how a good strikers positioning can impact a goal. Reckon we will see a lot of this over the season, many will whinge about his scoring stats if it’s he’s not banging them in every game but strikers play a valuable attacking role in many different ways

Disappointed not to find a yoga tip on this thread 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

If you extend the line for the six yard box (just hold a straight edge up against the screen) you’ll see he clearly has moved further away from the goal. However, you can’t judge a player’s contribution (good or bad) simply based on one movement of play.

killing eve bullshit GIF by BBC America

2 hours ago, jono said:

I caught it a couple of times in the Berlin game when Mc Goldrick was moving forward on the edge of the box. Ball could go wide to winger or inside to 6 yard box. Colin’s times his peel off into the danger area very well. He’s going to poach, has good positional brain. He’ll score. He also works hard and doesn’t fall over. My only wish is that he gets one asap for his own self confidence. He will want to look at us and his team mates and say I am your number 9, both my shirt and the score sheet say so.

I think that’s my point, that the strikers movement is being used as a tactic to make space for a shot from the edge of the box. That whilst Collins obviously needs to score goals, it’s not his only use and what he’s doing off the ball is just as important to how we want to play. Martin used to this for Bryson, by bringing defenders towards him and creating the space for Bryson. When you look at videos which include goals from any season Tom Lawrence is involved it was something he was very good at as well. A strikers job isn’t just go be there for a tap in an can make vital contributions without scoring.

Although maybe I’m wrong and he was lazy and offside, or some whataboutery like that. 

I mean I thought Collins did well on Saturday and I don't think we should be having this discussion after his debut. I think he will score plenty in this team

And I'm into technical analysis

But this is just rubbish. "Man stands still and then turns around" tells you precisely nothing about him or his game.