James Collins and the positional movements

TuffLuff

I know it’s a forum, I know it’s about supporters opinions, I know others like to challenge those opinions, and I know others like to challenge those opinions of those who have challenged their opinions.

but……..sometimes you just gotta scratch yer head and move on to the latest transfer threads! ?

1 minute ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I know it’s a forum, I know it’s about supporters opinions, I know others like to challenge those opinions, and I know others like to challenge those opinions of those who have challenged their opinions.

but……..sometimes you just gotta scratch yer head and move on to the latest transfer threads! ?

Spot on, But you can't blame Collins trying to escape the yellow circle I mean it must be electrified and with an arrow pointing to him ?‍♀️

27 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I mean I thought Collins did well on Saturday and I don't think we should be having this discussion after his debut. I think he will score plenty in this team

And I'm into technical analysis

But this is just rubbish. "Man stands still and then turns around" tells you precisely nothing about him or his game. 

Yeah, but just as easily you could say Man stands still because he’s put himself in the right place, which might actually tell you something about his positional awareness.

Hey you’re right though it’s way too early. We need to see how the team sets up and how well he makes himself fit in it with assists and goals. I’d love him to get a couple in the next game or three but my judgment isn’t going to solidify for 10 games or so. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

killing eve bullshit GIF by BBC America

Mature response (not). 

I take it you've not bothered to try extending the line for the six yard box (cue for some predictable comedian to draw a crooked line). If you did you'd see he clearly has moved further away from goal. Whether he just drifted wide or it was a deliberate action to create room for the shot/pull a defender wide we'll never know but I think it is indisputable he did move away from goal. But he ho, you stick with your belief if you like and ignore the evidence. 

Think analysing just one moment from his first game isnt going to tell you a lot, especially from some crude stills. 

That said, he will frustrate at times this season but still score goals. He did a few poor Martin impressions with going down like a sideboard, more than a wardrobe. He isn’t the most athletic and you can see from his run through first half he’s certainly not a dribbler. But that said, an inch difference on that volley and he scores and it’s a perfect debut. There will be a lot of that I feel. 

To be fair, it's not clear how much Collins moved from the OPs two pictures. But, if you watch the replay he did the following:

• initial movement outside of the box was towards the front post, in front of Moore.
  • drifted towards the back post behind Moore, dragging the RB inside and leaving Barkhuizen in space
  • took two hops to the side to give Hourihane a clear shot on goal.

image.thumb.png.0ad93c34005776b3809aa30bcbaa2ff4.png

He does move sideways... How much this is inspired movement knowing what will happen next is questionable.

Outside of this narrow debate, I think he's the type of player we need in this league. He will cause defenders problems and will bring others into the game, like a less technically proficient Martin.

I've said it multiple times but I'd like to see Rosenior to be more positive with an attacking midfielder or second striker getting closer to him - Sibley, Knight, McGoldrick, Dobbin etc.

There's a lot of goals up for grabs in this league but you need players in advanced positions to capitalise.

6 hours ago, sage said:

I'm not criticising him, just pointing out he stood still, not making some genius movement as per the long original post and accompanying pictures, which show the exact opposite of the point he is trying to make. 

Frankly is was a Liz Truss post and response. 

Must admit I'm with @sage on this...The original post does sound a bit like one of those MOTD Over-Analyses where Alex Scott says something like "Since Pep came in, he's got Sterling playing just 3 yards further forward and it's paying dividends in terms of Sterling's goals"...{cue picture of Sterling last season just over the half-way line and contrast with another picture of sterling from this season 3 yards further up the pitch as irrefutable proof}. #tacticalbollox

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Mature response (not). 

I take it you've not bothered to try extending the line for the six yard box (cue for some predictable comedian to draw a crooked line). If you did you'd see he clearly has moved further away from goal. Whether he just drifted wide or it was a deliberate action to create room for the shot/pull a defender wide we'll never know but I think it is indisputable he did move away from goal. But he ho, you stick with your belief if you like and ignore the evidence. 

In which direction do you think he moved and how far. 

I'd say about two paces wider at the most. 

I don't know about him but that's my turning circle

Edited by sage

39 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Must admit I'm with @sage on this...The original post does sound a bit like one of those MOTD Over-Analyses where Alex Scott says something like "Since Pep came in, he's got Sterling playing just 3 yards further forward and it's paying dividends in terms of Sterling's goals"...{cue picture of Sterling last season just over the half-way line and contrast with another picture of sterling from this season 3 yards further up the pitch as irrefutable proof}. #tacticalbollox

I feel this is an over analysis of my over analysis

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Do we really have naysayers already? After one game?!

I thought we were all getting behind every player, nowadays? I thought that was our new thing from last season.

Not overly, but reading the matchday thread post game I got the sense of a few being critical towards Collins and odd little bits in the days since. Small minority of know it alls admittingly, just thought it was worth pointing out about his contribution to the goal

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To be fair, it's not clear how much Collins moved from the OPs two pictures. But, if you watch the replay he did the following:

• initial movement outside of the box was towards the front post, in front of Moore.
  • drifted towards the back post behind Moore, dragging the RB inside and leaving Barkhuizen in space
  • took two hops to the side to give Hourihane a clear shot on goal.

image.thumb.png.0ad93c34005776b3809aa30bcbaa2ff4.png

The Rocky Horror Picture Show Dance GIF by IFC

2 hours ago, sage said:

In which direction do you think he moved and how far. 

I'd say about two paces wider at the most. 

I don't know about him but that's my turning circle

He clearly moved away from the goal and possibly only a couple of paces but at that range it could have made all the difference. No one is suggested he did a few laps of the pitch whilst the shot was coming in.

As I said earlier, we'll never know if it was just his casual direction  of movement or a deliberate action to open up a space but at least it seems you may have conceded he did move after all.