The positive....

IslandExile

So, we're starting to look back at Mel's tenure, the last few seasons and almost going out of business.

I have to say that the threat of Derby County, the club that has been such a big part of my life, being liquidated was mentally and emotionally debilitating.

Sure there are far more serious things happening in the world but I personally found it really tough to deal with.

Nevertheless, thanks to many people - especially David Clowes, of course, but also Rooney, Team Derby, everyone at the club, and the supporters (more of them in a moment) the Rams have survived and can start to look forward again.

So now, knowing that the worst is over, we can start to look back and pick out the truly good things that came out of the past year.

The supporters.

Unbelievable. Fantastic. Superb. Remarkable.

There are no words that do justice to the pride I feel to count myself as a Derby fan.

I'm so sorry that my circumstances meant that I wasn't able to be on the walk, at Moor Farm on relegation night or at Blackpool but my physical absence doesn't make any of those events any less than real stand out moments.

The petitions, the lobbying, the campaigns, the support from other clubs' genuine supporters was outstanding.

The togetherness though, between fans, players and club.... I've never seen anything like that before and I doubt we ever will experience anything quite like that again. Beautiful.

Knowing that Derby County has come through it all and survived, I believe we can now look back and say "that was a great season".

Thank you.

COYR ?

Edited by IslandExile

16 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

So, we're starting to look back at Mel's tenure, the last few seasons and almost going out of business.

I have to say that the threat of Derby County, the club that has been such a big part of my life, being liquidated was mentally and emotionally debilitating.

Sure there are far more serious things happening in the world but I personally found it really tough to deal with.

Nevertheless, thanks to many people - especially David Clowes, of course, but also Rooney, Team Derby, everyone at the club, and the supporters (more of them in a moment) the Rams have survived and can start to look forward again.

So now, knowing that the worst is over, we can start to look back and pick out the truly good things that came out of the past year.

The supporters.

There are no words that do justice to the pride I feel to count myself as a Derby fan.

I'm so sorry that my circumstances meant that I wasn't able to be on the walk, at Moor Farm on relegation night or at Blackpool but my physical absence doesn't make any of those events any less than real stand out moments.

The petitions, the lobbying, the campaigns, the support from other clubs' genuine supporters was outstanding.

The togetherness though, between fans, players and club.... I've never seen anything like that before and I doubt we ever will experience anything quite like that again. Beautiful.

Knowing that Derby County has come through it all and survived, I believe we can now look back and say "that was a great season".

Thank you.

COYR ?

Super post ???

Yes to all of that. I found it particularly tough to deal with as the timing mirrored my dads sudden decline with dementia. The day we went into admin was the first "come now please" urgent call from my mum. Derby was mine and dad's thing together and unbelievably bad Derby news usually coincided with bad dementia days. Dad is now stable, settled and as happy as he will be in lovely residential care right near us and he still loves to chat Derby although often muddled. He has told the care staff some horrendous tall stories about it all! Attendance obviously reduced a lot last year in the circumstances (hence my total annoyance at those making comments about part-time fans - just count your blessings you can attend when you want) but was so happy to get season tickets on the first day of sale. Really excited about the season ahead.

11 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Yes to all of that. I found it particularly tough to deal with as the timing mirrored my dads sudden decline with dementia. The day we went into admin was the first "come now please" urgent call from my mum. Derby was mine and dad's thing together and unbelievably bad Derby news usually coincided with bad dementia days. Dad is now stable, settled and as happy as he will be in lovely residential care right near us and he still loves to chat Derby although often muddled. He has told the care staff some horrendous tall stories about it all! Attendance obviously reduced a lot last year in the circumstances (hence my total annoyance at those making comments about part-time fans - just count your blessings you can attend when you want) but was so happy to get season tickets on the first day of sale. Really excited about the season ahead.

Yeah, I've been saddened by your stories of your father but I'm glad to hear that he has stabilized.

Talking to him about the Rams will be great therapy for him. I'm sure I've also read that looking at pictures is really good for anyone with dementia. If you can get hold of some books, programmes or even play YouTube videos on your phone when you visit.

(It might help to cast them to a TV using a chrome stick or the like).

36 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

The supporters.

Thank you.

COYR ?

We spent to whole season being bullied (by EFL).
From September onwards, we were warded by... what at least appeared on the surface... buffoons.
We were permanently "Up against it", and whilst we all, to a man, woman and child, dared to dream, reality finally kicked each and every one of us viciously... if unsurprisingly... in the very pit of our stomachs.

Not a season I ever want to see again, let alone be a part of.

And yet... a season we should all be immensely proud of.  A season we should never forget, and never allow others to forget.  A season to pass on to future generations as the epitome of Derby County lore.

"A great season"?

DAMN RIGHT IT WAS!   ?

19 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

We spent to whole season being bullied (by EFL).
From September onwards, we were warded by... what at least appeared on the surface... buffoons.
We were permanently "Up against it", and whilst we all, to a man, woman and child, dared to dream, reality finally kicked each and every one of us viciously... if unsurprisingly... in the very pit of our stomachs.

Not a season I ever want to see again, let alone be a part of.

And yet... a season we should all be immensely proud of.  A season we should never forget, and never allow others to forget.  A season to pass on to future generations as the epitome of Derby County lore.

"A great season"?

DAMN RIGHT IT WAS!   ?

So many fans of other teams expressed sympathy last season and I explained to them that I was so proud of my club, my team, my manager and my fellow fans and that whatever happened it was an amazing season and unique experience … you should have seen their faces.. especially those that supported Liverpool, Man Utd etc who weren’t born there. Totally didn’t get it

Can’t wait for Oxford!

57 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, I've been saddened by your stories of your father but I'm glad to hear that he has stabilized.

Talking to him about the Rams will be great therapy for him. I'm sure I've also read that looking at pictures is really good for anyone with dementia. If you can get hold of some books, programmes or even play YouTube videos on your phone when you visit.

(It might help to cast them to a TV using a chrome stick or the like).

Yes he loves all that. Have quite a few old photo books of Derby generally also which he loves to look through as you say

Last season was one of my favourites of all time. The togetherness in adversity was quite unique. I enjoyed celebrating each goal, each win, each throw in when our backs were against the wall. The last minute mental against those lovely Birmingham fans so full of empathy, the incredible atmosphere against Fulham when we all reasonably knew it was over and Forsyth wiping the ball with a towel against the cockwombles from West Brom. All with my lad by my side and a heart full of Pride. Duck the EFL. 

4 hours ago, CBRammette said:

A really moving post. Hopefully you'll have plenty of good news for him this season when you visit.

5 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Hey buddy you had a good reason for not attending and your dad needs to be looked after and I thank my lucky stars my grandma never went through cov 19 as she would not understand that we were not allowed to see her. I miss her every single day and every min. Even through been gone a few years now I still wished I could see her just one more day sigh. And my grandad too and my mum sister all people I cared deeply all gone to great sky above.?

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Hey buddy you had a good reason for not attending and your dad needs to be looked after and I thank my lucky stars my grandma never went through cov 19 as she would not understand that we were not allowed to see her. I miss her every single day and every min. Even through been gone a few years now I still wished I could see her just one more day sigh. And my grandad too and my mum sister all people I cared deeply all gone to great sky above.?

That's really sad. You clearly would have loved and cared for them all deeply and you will have lots of good memories of them to cherish. It shows why you and your dad are obviously so close which comes through in many of your posts. Take care of each other and lets hope we can now see some bright times ahead for the mighty Rams

It was an extraordinary season. It was surreal at several points but to hear Jacob Rees-Mogg saying “Derby County …” in the House of Commons was probably the moment when it all seemed like a Viz cartoon. The moment of the year for me, apart from of course reading David Clowes’s statement with tears rolling down my cheeks, was away at Huddersfield, down to 10 men after 1 minute, 0-1 down 2nd half, and the away end jam-packed with Rams belting out the Allez Allez for 15 minutes non-stop, was mesmerising and moving. It will stay with me forever. Some people used to say “why do people get so worked up about 22 men kicking a ball?”… There’s a whole Phd thesis in the answer to such a simple question. 
We started last season being called cheats but the remarkable behaviour shown by Derby County fans - loyalty, unity, support at the time of crisis, dignity, defiance, humour, changed the narrative and put the pride back into our remarkable football club. 

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It was an extraordinary season. It was surreal at several points but to hear Jacob Rees-Mogg saying “Derby County …” in the House of Commons was probably the moment when it all seemed like a Viz cartoon. The moment of the year for me, apart from of course reading David Clowes’s statement with tears rolling down my cheeks, was away at Huddersfield, down to 10 men after 1 minute, 0-1 down 2nd half, and the away end jam-packed with Rams belting out the Allez Allez for 15 minutes non-stop, was mesmerising and moving. It will stay with me forever. Some people used to say “why do people get so worked up about 22 men kicking a ball?”… There’s a whole Phd thesis in the answer to such a simple question. 
We started last season being called cheats but the remarkable behaviour shown by Derby County fans - loyalty, unity, support at the time of crisis, dignity, defiance, humour, changed the narrative and put the pride back into our remarkable football club. 

He was probably impressed by Steve Bloomer's recent scoring exploits.

Last season it felt like all supporters woke up to the fact that the club, the players, each other needed our support That this was more important than performance on the pitch, players making mistakes, the result. It was so great to be in Pride Park and witness this. It was great to be on the March with 10,000 others. Just great to feel the passion for Derby County. My hope is that this will continue this season and not be doused if the team don’t immediately perform. This season and going forward we need to maintain the ‘sod everyone this is our club and we love it’ mentality and support our club back up where we belong COYR.

17 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

Last season it felt like all supporters woke up to the fact that the club, the players, each other needed our support That this was more important than performance on the pitch, players making mistakes, the result. It was so great to be in Pride Park and witness this. It was great to be on the March with 10,000 others. Just great to feel the passion for Derby County. My hope is that this will continue this season and not be doused if the team don’t immediately perform. This season and going forward we need to maintain the ‘sod everyone this is our club and we love it’ mentality and support our club back up where we belong COYR.

Superb ^. All of that. We need to harness that positivity that enveloped us all. That wave can take us a long way forward again…what can we do to keep it going?

What a season, I cheerfully salute, smile and wipe away a tear when reading the other’s moving stories. 

I have never seen the like, week after week, win or lose, every fan behind every Derby kick of the ball. Even when goals went against us the stadium rolled its sleeves up and roared again. 

And the players ! So many young rams finding teeth, courage, grit and reserves they didn’t know they had. Senior players who just kept fighting and our 37 year old club captain who played every minute of every game. As a team, a brotherhood of men I don’t think I will see the like again and am proud to have been there to see them play and to see what it’s really like when everyone players and fans alike  are heaving on the same rope.

We knew it was a virtually impossible task that got harder as points from away games didn’t materialise yet they never gave up. Instead, latecomers to the team like Festy and Ebiowe, joined the fight with the same spirit and lifted our hearts, throwing the last pieces of kindling on the fire. 

I am so thankful and happy that DC became our saviour. A classic local business man who already had his own seat in the ground, because like us he loves his club and the game. He stepped in perhaps as a reluctant hero yet he stood up and was counted in our darkest days. Yes because he could; but not because it was a gamble on the premier league or because it was a strategic business investment or he was working on behalf of a group of “investors from overseas” or some consortium or other in the “sport and entertainment industry”. He did it because he felt he had to -  “We Are Derby” …. And so is he.