Richard Stearman signs one year deal

Boycie

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Love this quote from Owen B

Liam described you to us as a “culture signing”.

And Stearman’s response acknowledged he’s at a point in his career where he might not play every game but will bring other strengths through the week etc. That’s the continuity I’ve been hoping for within the squad, Stearman and Davies will set standards within the squad and help the team gel, which will be vital this season. I think it’s a really good signing even if he’s used sparingly and to support the u23s, he’ll always do a job and will bring character to the squad. 

? ? Here's that snippet:

The kind of leadership and know how that Davies, Stearman, McGoldrick et al will bring in a tough, competitive league will be critical.

We've needed to recruit consistently and around character and culture for a while, I'm glad we're learning.

Love the attitude of all the signings so far. Hope it helps to convince the youngsters and contracted players to stick around and fight for promotion.

Age and experience doesn't automatically equal know-how.

It seems people are now happy for us to chuck away wages on players happy to sit on the bench knowing and being happy with the fact that  they'll hardly ever have to play to earn them, just because they're popular in the dressing room. Beats me!

Edited by Coconut's Beard

3 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

It seems people are now happy for us to chuck away wages on players happy to sit on the bench knowing and being happy with the fact that  they'll hardly ever have to play to earn them, just because they're popular in the dressing room. Beats me!

Just a couple of days after Club84’s whining, you need to be quicker. 

23 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

But doesn’t having experience mean having know how? The dictionary definition of experience is “getting knowledge or skill from doing, seeing, or feeling things”

23 hours ago, Coconut's Beard said:

Need squad depth. I think Stearman will probably play a fair bit as well. Good characters are vital in a team. Glad we have Stearman and finally getting some depth which will be badly needed after injuries and suspensions. 

On 09/07/2022 at 13:57, Coconut's Beard said:

Stearman has never struck me as having a "bench-warmer's" attitude. LR clearly sees his character as important to the squad and, at L1 level he's more than capable of holding his own when the time comes. With Curtis and Chesters both having had injury problems in the past, I think it's important that we'll have another experienced CB available to step in whenever necessary.

50 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

But doesn’t having experience mean having know how? The dictionary definition of experience is “getting knowledge or skill from doing, seeing, or feeling things”

One of my bug bears when helping people recruit is the amount of emphasis placed on experience over skills.

Just because you've done something for a long while doesn't mean you're going to be great at it.

Insisting on experience also precludes lots of people who might be quicker learners and potentially have a higher summit.

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

That's one definition, another is simply "Practical contact with and observation of facts or events"

Experience is only worth what you learn from it. Just because someone's older and has played a high number of games it doesn't necessarily follow that they'll make better decisions than a younger player, or their younger, less experienced self.

tbf Stearman showed some of this yesterday when he read the situation and got back to clear a header off the line, after Wildsmith & Rooney had failed to deal with a corner. There was a chance for them earlier though which included him being taken out of the game on the half-way line because he went in for a challenge / close a player down instead of standing his ground and tracking the runner instead.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think he was hard done by but rather he was unlucky. Who would you have dropped out of Cashin and Davies in order to bring him in?

You don't have to 'drop' Cashin or Davies. It isn't 90 minutes or nothing, this player or that player.

There were times in games where he could have been subbed on to help shore up the defence, but for whatever reason the manager at the time chose not to.

tbf I think a lot of that was to do with us rarely actually being in a position toward the end of games where we had a lead to hold on to, nevertheless he could have been used more than he was.

25 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Stearman has never struck me as having a "bench-warmer's" attitude. LR clearly sees his character as important to the squad and, at L1 level he's more than capable of holding his own when the time comes. With Curtis and Chesters both having had injury problems in the past, I think it's important that we'll have another experienced CB available to step in whenever necessary.

I'm not saying he has a bad attitude, anything but, it's just that he himself has said that he acknowledges he might not be first choice at this stage of his career.

He's happy enough playing whatever role he can, whether he's selected to play the games or not. Ergo he is happy to sit on the bench because he believes (as do many others) that he has a lot to offer even when not playing.

3 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

You don't have to 'drop' Cashin or Davies. It isn't 90 minutes or nothing, this player or that player.

There were times in games where he could have been subbed on to help shore up the defence, but for whatever reason the manager at the time chose not to.

tbf I think a lot of that was to do with us rarely actually being in a position toward the end of games where we had a lead to hold on to, nevertheless he could have been used more than he was.

Fair point although, given he wasn’t going to displace Davies or Cashin and, as you say we were rarely (if ever) in a position to just and close games out. So, I would maintain, he wasn’t hard done by - just unlucky that Cashin and Davies were playing so well he couldn’t get in the team and couldn’t really be brought on late to see out the game.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think he was hard done by but rather he was unlucky. Who would you have dropped out of Cashin and Davies in order to bring him in?

Not sure mate, but when he did play he was brilliant IMO and maybe deserved more game time

I was at a do last night and a mate introduced me to Richard Stearman. What a lovely guy, he was really friendly and we chatted for 10-15 minutes and he had a photo with my lad. Some of the things he said:

The players were shocked about Rooney leaving and still don’t know why he’s gone.

He doesn’t see McGoldrick as a number 9, says he’s most effective attacking from wide. Said we definitely need to bring in a number 9.

The players we’ve just signed all had offers to play for more money at a higher level. They all really want to be here.

I really got the the impression that they’re all excited about this season.

I do have to caveat the above though. You see…

3A03D6B1-6E30-4B6A-8E81-7C135DB45AFF.gif

On 09/07/2022 at 13:57, Coconut's Beard said:

The more important word in my post is leadership, and I agree age is no guarantee of that or know how. However, the guys we have signed in that bracket have all had successful careers and have held leadership roles at previous clubs. This suggests to me that they have something to offer on and off the pitch in, what will be, a very tough campaign.

Having the right blend of youth and experience, has typically served clubs well at this level. I would like us to recruit on the younger end of the scale for the remaining gaps though.

On 10/07/2022 at 15:15, angieram said:

One of my bug bears when helping people recruit is the amount of emphasis placed on experience over skills.

Just because you've done something for a long while doesn't mean you're going to be great at it.

Insisting on experience also precludes lots of people who might be quicker learners and potentially have a higher summit.

And the other side of the coin as about as frustrating: The expectation that young players always develope. Not they don't, go ask Michael Owen.