Richard Stearman signs one year deal

Boycie

Little bit unexpected this one.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy we’ve given him a new contract - he was still competent at Championship level, so you’d expect him to be extremely solid in League One. A top pro to have in the dressing room, and will provide excellent cover for Chester and Cashin without kicking up a fuss. 

But if we’re signing Davies and Roberts as well, that will leave us with 5 CBs, which seems excessive to me. Do we really need to waste a loan on Roberts now that we could use elsewhere?

Fantastic pro. Another future coaching candidate.

My only concern with the centre halves is aerially we could be better. Flint or one or two others we were linked with would have obviously helped in that department. Pace-wise could be better too, although Roberts looks an athlete. In terms of reading the play though, we are more than covered.

6 minutes ago, inter politics said:

My only concern with the centre halves is aerially we could be better. Flint or one or two others we were linked with would have obviously helped in that department. Pace-wise could be better too, although Roberts looks an athlete. In terms of reading the play though, we are more than covered.

If you can read the game as well as these lads can, we will be fine in league 1. 

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Yet more sensible business!

Asked this before  and no one replied-  who is negotiating these deals? 

A name I’ve not heard before until tonight but rosenior and stearman mentioned a man called Pete shuttleworth I think it was and saying he’s had a big part to play in signings. 

34 minutes ago, inter politics said:

I would have argued that aerially is a strength of Stearman and Davies, whilst Cashin has shown Bucko levels of determination and strength to be competitive! 

Pace and mobility would have been a concern except as @Bald Eagle's Barmy Armysaid  they can read the game

20 minutes ago, Ramos said:

A name I’ve not heard before until tonight but rosenior and stearman mentioned a man called Pete shuttleworth I think it was and saying he’s had a big part to play in signings. 

First team scout at Birmingham - 2015-2017

Head of Performance Analyst at Birmingham - 2018-2020

First Team Analyst at Derby - Oct 2020- present 

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

First team scout at Birmingham - 2015-2017

Head of Performance Analyst at Birmingham - 2018-2020

First Team Analyst at Derby - Oct 2020- present 

So basically until now he’s barely been able to do any recruitment. Ticking the boxes so far. 

1 minute ago, Ramos said:

So basically until now he’s barely been able to do any recruitment. Ticking the boxes so far. 

Correction: he started in September 2020.

His role is more than just a scout. Paraphrasing a few of bits from his LinkedIn page:
- Opposition reports 
- Set-piece analysis and development - Training analysis and schedules
- Devising training plans

9 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Not sure if this is a slight at him or a reference to our administration position but for clarity Rosenior mentions in his interview on Rams TV that recruitment isn't really his area.

However since he is an analyst who's job is to pore over match footage and do opposition scouting he has been able to not only identify targets but also directly make contact with players and their agents to help get deals done. So he has gone above and beyond his role

Apologies if I'm missing what you're saying but I wanted to help set the record straight in case there was confusion

5 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Not sure if this is a slight at him or a reference to our administration position but for clarity Rosenior mentions in his interview on Rams TV that recruitment isn't really his area.

However since he is an analyst who's job is to pore over match footage and do opposition scouting he has been able to not only identify targets but also directly make contact with players and their agents to help get deals done. So he has gone above and beyond his role

Apologies if I'm missing what you're saying but I wanted to help set the record straight in case there was confusion

No slight at all… was just a comment on the fact that rosenior talked about his involvement in signings and since September 2020 we have effectively been under an embargo so he’s never been able to get involved. Why I said he’s ticking all the boxes so far with what he’s been able to do now we can sign players. Whether it’s his core responsibility or not. ??

Edited by Ramos

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Consider himself very unlucky last season. Wasn't sure when he arrived but actually looked decent. At this level he is a great player.

Disappointing how little we saw of him last season   Great signing 

Edited by kevinhectoring

Keeping a core of the dressing room together was massively important this season in spite of players leaving, so well done Liam, David, Curtis, whoever.

Stearman gives us further depth and is solid enough when called on, especially if the players around are less experienced. As much as I hope Davies can play another full season, cover is essential in a particularly bruising league over a very long season.

Love this quote from @Owen87ITK

Liam described you to us as a “culture signing”.

And Stearman’s response acknowledged he’s at a point in his career where he might not play every game but will bring other strengths through the week etc. That’s the continuity I’ve been hoping for within the squad, Stearman and Davies will set standards within the squad and help the team gel, which will be vital this season. I think it’s a really good signing even if he’s used sparingly and to support the u23s, he’ll always do a job and will bring character to the squad.