New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

So good news/ bad news. The midfielder we were meant to bring in was Kevin McDonald and that was meant to be a replacement for one of Bird/Knight/Bielik who had a bid in for them. McDonald is still training with us but unsure if he’s signing as I’m led to be live it’s a 1 in 1 out policy in midfield. We’re looking at another GK (Blackman has gone to Exeter), a senior RB, 2 Wingers (Murphy gone to Oxford) and a Striker on loan. Expect probably loans in the attacking positions with freebies/ super low fees for the GK and RB 

3 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

So good news/ bad news. The midfielder we were meant to bring in was Kevin McDonald and that was meant to be a replacement for one of Bird/Knight/Bielik who had a bid in for them. McDonald is still training with us but unsure if he’s signing as I’m led to be live it’s a 1 in 1 out policy in midfield. We’re looking at another GK (Blackman has gone to Exeter), a senior RB, 2 Wingers (Murphy gone to Oxford) and a Striker on loan. Expect probably loans in the attacking positions with freebies/ super low fees for the GK and RB 

which one out of bird/knight/bielik do u think? hope its not bird

50 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Liam needs to pull a rabbit out the hat and quick, the signings made so far have been great, but we are still way short of being able to compete, as I'm sure we will find out against Oxford on Saturday.

Sorry but that’s nonsense- we will be able to compete but it will be a case of settling down in the league with some poor performances here and there mixed with some good ones. With better cover at right back and a forward with good pace we will look a different side in terms of really challenging for promotion 

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

Why on earth would you sell Bird to replace him with McDonald?! Who are the bids from, Coventry...

As for the other 'signings' well yes that is where we are weakest, so not really a revelation - names please.

Edited by RoyMac5

37 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Sorry but that’s nonsense- we will be able to compete but it will be a case of settling down in the league with some poor performances here and there mixed with some good ones. With better cover at right back and a forward with good pace we will look a different side in terms of really challenging for promotion 

100% agree

Wildsmith

Roberts Chester Davies Knight

Bird Houraine Smith 

Barkhuizen Collins Mendes Laing 

With McGolrick likely to miss Oxford I think that’s a very decent starting 11 seen as 3 weeks ago we had barely anything! Yeah we need more strength in depth but there’s 4/5 weeks left yet to get a couple decent loans in 

50 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

You are right, what I said was nonsense.

I actually meant, we will not be competing for top 6, currently, imo.

2 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Cheers Nicko.....I mean Big Trav.......lots of maybees and possibles there that might or might not happen......possible bid for one of three midfielders.....thought Murphy was coming to us??????.........wish I was ITK like you......

31 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Yes as it stands i think you are correct,we are in for a rude awakening if anyone thinks this is not going to be tough,we have no proper RB not convinced on what i have seen so for in the GK and to get out of this league you need a 20+ goalscorer which we have not got.

Yes there is the loan market and hopefully we will be active in that,i am a big believer in the fact you cant get promoted in the first dozen games but you can certainly lose it in the first twelve so we need to make at least a decent start around 15-18 points would be a good effort

28 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Yes as it stands i think you are correct,we are in for a rude awakening if anyone thinks this is not going to be tough,we have no proper RB not convinced on what i have seen so for in the GK and to get out of this league you need a 20+ goalscorer which we have not got.

We have a striker who has scored 20 goals at this level in a previous season, the bigger problem in my view is that we have spent a few years now forgetting how to attack effectively. 
As others have said, we’ve at least got a squad, it’s stronger in some areas than it is in others but there is a group of professional footballers about to start the season with a ram on their chest, something we came close to losing.
What I am hoping to see from Rosenior (and it’s not really been there yet in pre season) is a return to forward thinking, attacking play. Let’s play to Collins’ strengths, let’s get midfielders pushing and passing forwards, let’s cross the ball in, and let’s actually have some shots.
Rather than focusing on where we’re weaker let’s focus on our strengths, on paper we’ve got a good forward line (yes, currently with no depth) for this league, a very good midfield, and solid central defenders. 
I said it yesterday, we’re only a few more players away from the right squad given our restrictive situation. Another option up front, a wide player who can play either side to provide competition and cover for NML and Barkhuizen, a right back, and a keeper.  Gives us a good squad, a bit of depth, there’s versatility in there already and then youth to step in from the academy in desperate times. Too many further additions could upset the balance and leave the squad bloated.

The squad on paper (imo) looks alright-to-good, and I think that's as good as we can reasonably expect given circumstances.

Incoming now on is likely to be matched with outgoing and inevitably that'll be a saleable player replaced with a free agent so probably "a downgrade" - but it's how we're going to have to fill the depth out.

Things go well, top six is probably achievable, things go badly and it's "meh" midtable. I don't see this squad really struggling.

I expected some seasons of grind after last year and the promising signings and general relief and happiness after the takeover have kind of taken the focus away from "starting from scratch with restrictions is going to be a hard thing to do"

There's lots of mixed messages coming out with regards to signings from Radio Derby and Derby Telegraph.

We're getting told since the weekend that two signings are very close and then again today Leigh Curtis and Dominic from Radio Derby have said they are still very close.

Then there's an article from the Derby Telegraph saying LR will be patient for new signings.

So who knows what's happening and if anything is close.

4 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Then there's an article from the Derby Telegraph saying LR will be patient for new signings.

I think you have to patient for loans from Premier League clubs.......they tend to hang on to their players until the end of the window to see what they have unless those players have been earmarked for definite loans.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I agree. If we had this starting 11 all season, no injuries, no fatigue. We'd be fine.

Squad depth is a worry at the minute. If last night showed anything it's when we do get injuries some of the replacements are nowhere near good enough.

But LR knows this and has someone has said already if we get these in. Then we can and should be pushing for the top 6. You need 2 players for every position. You can't really have 3 just incase you get injuries in the same position. At the minute we're almost there.

GK - Wildsmith, Loach, New GK

RB - New RB, Oduroh

CB - Davies, Chester, Cashin, Stearman (Roberts if needed)

LB - Roberts, Forsyth

CDM - Bird, Smith, Bielik (Still convinced he will be gone but hews here now)

CM - Hourihane, Knight, Thompson, Robinson

LW/RW - Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen, Sibley, Knight (The last 2 can play there but not their best position. I'd play Knight over Sibley there given the choice) A new winger will come in. Maybe Robertson.

ST - Collins, Mcgoldrick, Stretton. Mcgoldrick could probably play on the wing. In all fairness we tend to get our width from the full backs and the wide players in the front 3 drift inside. So Mcgoldrick is definitely an option there.

So looking at it, Right back, Winger, Striker and a keeper will be the 4 Rosenior wants.

My only worry is the midfield could go from being really good to pretty average with a couple of injuries. 

Get those 4 signings in and we should have enough for a top 6 push. 

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I think you have to patient for loans from Premier League clubs.......they tend to hang on to their players until the end of the window to see what they have unless those players have been earmarked for definite loans.

Oh yeah I get that mate. I just wasn't sure if the 2 that are close are prem league loans or not.