Krystian Bielik - Joined Birmingham on a 3 year deal

DCFC1388

17 minutes ago, papa_lazarou said:

On the point made about him getting injured again or being totally crocked, you’d hope and even expect the club have insurance on him as an asset should the worse happen?

It begs the question with him getting injured previously was there a payout/s in terms of insurance to cover his wages? I’m sure the more enlightened amongst us can elaborate how this works in terms of protecting your football assets (i.e the players)

I'm wondering if say he is on £20k per week here, maybe Birmingham offer to pay £15k per week but they can send him back if injured.

But maybe Derby say you can have him if you cover £12.5k per week but you have to pay him for the whole season regardless of injury.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Step up in terms of league. But step down in terms of club size.

Fully expect him to be in a relegation battle at Birmingham too.

Cannot understand why he's gone there at all.

Because he wants to go to the world cup. Poland manager has made it clear he has to play at a higher level or he won't be selected.

Bielik himself probably wants to stay in England. I don't imagine there would be that many clubs wanting to take an injury prone player. Birmingham are one and it's not that far from Derby. Makes sense for all parties.

His wages will be massive so it must have been a huge dilemma for the club. If he's only going to Brum and they're not paying his full wages, that shows we're pretty desperate to get a lot of his wage off the monthly outgoings. 

But a terrible move for Bielik. For his World Cup hopes I feel he'd be better starring at the top of League One than in the mire at the foot of the Championship with Brum. Presumably it was the only option. 

Obviously it would have been nice to have kept him but if he wants to go to the world cup it's clear he can't be with us this season. The big chunk off the wage bill alone is sufficient to perhaps bolster our numbers in key areas. Ultimately as others have said, we need to maintain the same spirit on and off the field we had last season, so if someone is stewing in the background then ultimately it is necessary to ship them out

8 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Obviously it would have been nice to have kept him but if he wants to go to the world cup it's clear he can't be with us this season. The big chunk off the wage bill alone is sufficient to perhaps bolster our numbers in key areas. Ultimately as others have said, we need to maintain the same spirit on and off the field we had last season, so if someone is stewing in the background then ultimately it is necessary to ship them out

Excellent post

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think they'd agree to a big chunk of his wages precisely because they are a basket case. Sensible clubs don't splash big wages on players with dodgy knees and few suitors.

Birmingham are not a sensible club.

BBC has confirmed they are paying a substantial chunk of his wages.. in other words we are paying for him to play for someone else, which makes no sense at all.

Can see how it's a good move for him if his international manager has said he won't to to the world cup playing in League One. Whether it's good for us will depend on a couple of things: a) how good is 22/23 Bielik after all the injuries, and how much will he play? but moreso b) what we do with the money we have saved. I think we are still two or three good players off having the squad we need. If the 'Bielik money' gets us a great right back and striker I'll be happy. If it goes on a couple of average squad players who don't really improve us, not so much.

Edited by vonwright

13 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

I've not seen/heard much of Korey Smith, but doesn't he fill the dictating play from deep role as well? From having only 5 contracted players, Iare we now going too much the other way?

I’ve not watched a great deal of Korey Smith either - but based on what I’ve seen in pre-season, yes he is a possession based player that controls the play, but again he’s better utilised slightly further up the pitch as a creative force, where he can keep hold of the ball in tight areas and unlock space with intricate one twos. Think a Will Hughes type. Again, he can’t really replicate what Bird offers defensively, we need someone who can. 

Don’t get me wrong, we have definitely made a huge amount of progress from where we were at the start of the window. We’ve now got enough players to field a match day squad, which, give we had to put one together in such a short space of time, is a credit to everyone involved. We can’t stop here though, the rebuild isn’t done. By my maths, we have a first team squad of 20 players. That’s still way too thin in my view, probably 5 players short. A GK, RB, CDM and 2 wingers. Depth is so important in this gruelling league. 

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

image.png.fc3a205df95d96a97bb5a72e97dd7288.png

This fella plays for Barnsley and Poland.  He's still at Barnsley with no talk of playing in league 1 damaging his selection .  All seems rather odd to me.

A sensible post SCREAMER, Too many posters think they know the reason why he's bailed, Our finances were a stumbling block with KB, Polands manager may have or may not have got into KBs head, But not with the Barnsley player...strange, How about LR sat KB down and told him the realities of our situation and said the best thing all round would be a loan move.

If Brum are cute, They'll have a clause where if injured they can send him back, If DCFC are cute they will send him there for the season with no recall.

For me, League 1 takes no prisoners, Very physical players, KB would have been a player that would have been a target for a physical tackle, He's not the player he was, We've done well to move him on for a season.

7 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

BBC has confirmed they are paying a substantial chunk of his wages.. in other words we are paying for him to play for someone else, which makes no sense at all.

He has a history of injuries, clubs are having to tighten their belts so seemingly not lots willing to take the risk, if this was the best deal on the table it suits him, suits them and most importantly suits the club. 
It makes perfect sense. He’s rumoured to be on £20k per week, we’re rumoured to have an £8million spending cap for the season. Bielik’s wage accounts for 1/8 of that total figure. So we loan him out, Birmingham pick up a chunk of his wage £10/12/15k per week maybe, and we are then able to add a further 2, 3, 4 faces to the squad using the funds that are freed up. 

People don’t want expensive players on big wages that are injury prone it is as simple as that so well run clubs won’t touch him.

so you only get clubs like Birmingham or us of old that will touch them. 

whatever Birmingham are covering wages wise we are losing a lot of money on him because we are still paying for him, a big problem for us going forward - we need to hope he does well so we can sell

Logical move loaning him out even though it's Birmingham. He was going to miss 2-3 months with the World Cup anyway and the first few weeks of the season. Add to this his appalling injury record since he joined us. No point in paying a player 20k in wages a week in the league 1 in those circumstances.

Hopefully getting a substantial amount of savings on his wages allows us to get the 4-5 players of sufficient quality we need to bolster the squad.

1 hour ago, JPRamFan said:

Logical move loaning him out even though it's Birmingham. He was going to miss 2-3 months with the World Cup anyway and the first few weeks of the season. Add to this his appalling injury record since he joined us. No point in paying a player 20k in wages a week in the league 1 in those circumstances.

Hopefully getting a substantial amount of savings on his wages allows us to get the 4-5 players of sufficient quality we need to bolster the squad.

My thoughts exactly, had he stayed with us there's no guarantee he'd have been available for selection for a sizeable amount of the season. 

Staying here wasn't an option if he wants to play in World Cup.

Birmingham isn't that bad an option for us, last thing we want is for him to go to a team performing well, enjoy it, and want to stay! 

Hopefully he plays for them, they go down despite his magnificent performances and he comes back to us in the championship with a decent season under his belt