If Quantuma hadn't accepted the extra 9 points....

I know it's all what's, whys and wherefors, but what if they hadn't rolled over bared their bellies to the EFL and left the issue " in abeyance " in the hands of lawyers?

We'd still be a Championship side. Yes we obviously wouldn't have avoided the -12 penalty for administration, but we'd be a much more attractive option.

Any half-decent lawyer could have exposed the EFL's inconsistencies in not having a written policy of amortization, allowing us to interpret that inconsistency in otherwise perfectly legal accountancy practices, then the fact that they  retrospectively changed their rules, announcing that " the straight line method " was retrospectively the only way. I think we'd have had an excellent chance of winning that argument with a robust " lawyered-up " team.

These legal ramblings would have rumbled on for many months, well into next season. Meanwhile we'd be a much better business opportunity for any potential buyer. Even to the point of paying the extra £8m or so to avoid the --15 points by being more generous with our creditors.

A Championship team, with our support-base, coming out of administration free of debt is surely worth £8m more a Division 1 team, starting on minus 15 points, with various suitors fighting over our carcass for ever decreasing amounts.

With wise management and spending we could potentially have had a good shot of getting to the Premier League.

The current way things are shaping up we're a Division 1 club starting on -15 points.

Am I being too idealistic? It could have been so different. It's not as though accepting the extra 9 points deduction got us anywhere...

Edited by Kernow
Title

22 minutes ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

I know it's all what's, whys and wherefors, but what if they hadn't rolled over bared their bellies to the EFL and left the issue " in abeyance " in the hands of lawyers?

We'd still be a Championship side. Yes we obviously wouldn't have avoided the -12 penalty for administration, but we'd be a much more attractive option.

Any half-decent lawyer could have exposed the EFL's inconsistencies in not having a written policy of amortization, allowing us to interpret that inconsistency in otherwise perfectly legal accountancy practices, then the fact that they  retrospectively changed their rules, announcing that " the straight line method " was retrospectively the only way. I think we'd have had an excellent chance of winning that argument with a robust " lawyered-up " team.

These legal ramblings would have rumbled on for many months, well into next season. Meanwhile we'd be a much better business opportunity for any potential buyer. Even to the point of paying the extra £8m or so to avoid the --15 points by being more generous with our creditors.

A Championship team, with our support-base, coming out of administration free of debt is surely worth £8m more a Division 1 team, starting on minus 15 points, with various suitors fighting over our carcass for ever decreasing amounts.

With wise management and spending we could potentially have had a good shot of getting to the Premier League.

The current way things are shaping up we're a Division 1 club starting on -15 points.

Am I being too idealistic? It could have been so different. It's not as though accepting the extra 9 points deduction got us anywhere...

There was no right of appeal, unfortunately so bound to be a penalty for FFP even though it was a very dodgy decison by FAP  made by non-accountants. Nine points was very harsh and double counted with the 12 point deduction. Q's justification at the time was they were trying to move things forward quickly and needed certainty. Well that went well.    

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Playing Devils Advocate if it was all so easy for them to challenge the 9 points deduction and win why didn't they then do it?

I can’t be bothered to look for a source, but from memory, didn’t they say something along the lines of ‘we’re accepting it rather than fighting it because we believe it’ll streamline a takeover’? 

We had a damn good case against the 12 points (proven by subsequent EFL rules changes that allowed clubs to lose more money because of COVID) - Q simply abandoned the appeal to speed up the process. They have made a series of poor decisions throughout this whole fiasco - doubt they’ll get much future work in football…..

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

We had a damn good case against the 12 points (proven by subsequent EFL rules changes that allowed clubs to lose more money because of COVID) - Q simply abandoned the appeal to speed up the process. They have made a series of poor decisions throughout this whole fiasco - doubt they’ll get much future work in football…..

I hadn't considered that one, but yes, we'd certainly have a Covid defence to that one as well.

Rules that have since been changed, grants we weren't allowed to apply for. Then we've had administrators that have offered us up for a damn good thrashing before putting us up for sale - to facilitate what? 

A bit like being cut adrift on a life raft and days later you spot a rescue ship.  Hooray! But it's a pirate ship. Quantuma have been our pirate ship.

Edited by Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster

I'd be astounded if a good lawyer was unable to get the 9 point deduction overturned.

The IDC pretty much ripped the EFLs case apart and I imagine a lawyer would do the same.

The case would be even easier now given that the EFL have had to put the rule on amortisation in place, clearly demonstrating that there was no rule there to be broken.

I'd go even further and suggest a decent lawyer would perhaps also get our 12 point deduction overturned or, at the very least, reduced.

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

Well, I think Q will be a bit on edge at the moment.  I’d love them to put a statement out to explain away all the accusations and put the record straight.

But alas, communication isn’t their greatest asset unless they can charge for it.

That's not going to happen. They'll just say they were doing their job - getting the best deal for the creditors. The slight matter of whether the buyer can pay is what is causing the problem. But they were happy he could pay, so they'll wait.

23 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

Remember Nixon claimed we got quantuma because nobody else would do it. Pity we can never find out if that is was true or not. Feel we would not be where we are if someone else took the gig and of Morris had not made it all so difficult to wade through

With the amortization I was surprised that they did not apparently go to the auditors ruling body, show them the way we had done it, and get something off them saying our was was with FS102? rules and base our defense of that. If I had been in that position that's what I would have done

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd be astounded if a good lawyer was unable to get the 9 point deduction overturned.

The IDC pretty much ripped the EFLs case apart and I imagine a lawyer would do the same.

The case would be even easier now given that the EFL have had to put the rule on amortisation in place, clearly demonstrating that there was no rule there to be broken.

I'd go even further and suggest a decent lawyer would perhaps also get our 12 point deduction overturned or, at the very least, reduced.

You never know, some new competent owners might be able to sue the EFL for all this still?