Chinny reckon

dog

1 hour ago, Skin em Ted said:

Totally forgot about ‘chinny’, it could range from over dramatic gurning to a subtle scratch. Great way of taking down bulls hitters at school.

Football wise was always cuppy singles/doubles and headers and volleys.

There was a game called lergy which was basically hide and seek but you had to get back to base before whoever was on.

knockadoor run and cat creeping in back gardens.

Have a few Scot’s mates who called it ‘knock a door ginger’

We had this but it was called Haki round our way.

Somewhere along the line at school (ours must have been affiliated with the Hitler Youth) this then got corrupted to Haki (add racist P word here).

We also had a game called Lob. Which was some mutant version of dodgeball/bulldog/World War 1.

Crowds form at two ends of the playground, never even sides, no mans land in the middle (usually indicated by the hockey markings).

Tennis balls (the occasional cricket wind ball and even rogue golf balls) are then lobbed/pelted across this no mans land at the opposing side. If you get caught the thrower joins your team, if you get hit you are out, if the ball bounces in the opponents third you are safe.

If the ball ends up in no mans land the last person to touch the ball has to retrieve it under fire from both sides. Whichever side hits the person has them join their team.

If you hit the mesh fence at either end from the back of your own court you get to choose to eliminate someone from their team or bring someone back to your team.

Ball goes over the hedge and out of the school, you have to go and get it from Elsies garden whilst a crowd forms around the fence to block the view of any teachers.

First team to eliminate all opposing players wins.

Better than football I reckon.

7 hours ago, Skin em Ted said:

There was a game called lergy which was basically hide and seek but you had to get back to base before whoever was on.

6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

We called that Lurky, or "Lurky  Lurky 123"  to give it it's full title!

That was "blocko" round our way.

And shouting 'Tops' or 'Shame' while connecting your thumb and middle finger and then slapping your index finger against it (there really is no easy way to describe the motion). Normally done right in the face the person being shamed.

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

David Baddiel and Rob Newman were doing Chinny Reckon way, way, before Greg Davies was on I *think* the Mary Whitehouse experience. It means I think you're telling me a huge porky

Yes yes yes. That may be where Tutankhamen came from as well.

Round our way it was chinny reckon, itchy chin, itchy beard, Jimmy Hill, Tutankhamen.

5013B791-3854-418F-AB86-F2BA1161EB62.jpeg

On 18/05/2022 at 10:05, Anon said:

Greg Davies used to do a stand up bit about these kind of expressions and how they varied depending on what part of the country you were in. In our playground (early 90s) this saying had evolved into "chinny Mandela"

What did everyone else here call the football knock out game where you all played solo against a single 'keeper? Once you scored you were through to the next round and the last remaining player each round was eliminated. We called it "One Man Wembley", but a kid up from London sparked outrage by referring to the game as "cuppy singles".

I always knew at as cuppies

36 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I always knew at as cuppies

Me too, the first one to get knocked out went in goals next time round. 

Always doubles round our way, probably due to the numbers playing. A decent variant was headers and volleys, the only two ways of scoring, but never from inside the 6 yard box.

We also had a game similar to volleyball, where you'd form teams or singles either side of the goalposts, and only headers or volleys that hit the crossbar scored a point, two touches only to get the ball in the air, and it couldn't touch the floor again before scoring. 

British bulldog always a favourite.

For a while we played a game where we'd split into two teams, either side of two banks our local park handily provided.

After nipping to the local B&Q, where we'd weigh out two pounds of fencing tacks, then tell the shop assistant we'd got much less, we'd meet at the battleground, split the tacks evenly between us, then proceed to fire them at each other with elastic bands. 

All was well, until a lad I'll call Wayne, cos that was his name, got one straight through his eyelid, two perfect holes put through. 

His mum complained to the school, and we were all banned from B&Q afterwards, just because he couldn't sleep until the holes healed.

at school in the mid-80s, we played a game called "Bittoo" which I am guessing is the Urdu translation of "stones". It was a divisive game, but quite subconsciously so! Asians v Whites!

The rules of the game

• Find five or six stones of varying sizes, that are easily stackable. A tennis ball is required
  • One team runs, the other fields
  • Stack the stones about six inches from a wall
  • The running team line up, and each have five shots from about 10ft away to knock the stones over.
  • If the stones aren't hit after 5 throws, the next player has a go until everyone's had a go, then the other team switches
  • If you hit the stack of stones with the ball, you and your team scarper.
  • The fielding team have to throw the tennis ball at you, if they hit you, you're out.
  • Whilst the fielding team is trying to hit you with a tennis ball, your objective is to get back to the stones and re-stack them.
  • The fielding team have to be accurate with their throwing, otherwise they're chasing the ball to throw it again.
  • When you restack the stones, you shout "Bittoo" and you've got a point and you repeat again. 
  • If you're all out (hit by ball) the fielding team comes into Run

Absolutely great game with some belting head shots!

Reading this has just broke the memory of a simple tennis ball throwing game we used to play against an 8ft high x 10ft wide stone wall - so it had irregular sufaces.

Player 1 throws the ball at the wall and player 2 has to retrieve it.

Player 2 then throws the ball at the wall from wherever they were when they picked it up from the first throw.

Player 3 has to retrieve it etc etc.

A good hard throw and a dodgy angle on the wall often meant you were having to throw it from quite a distance.

Miss the wall. You lose

Somebody catches the ball without it bouncing. You lose

Last kid in the game wins.

We also had a kicking variation of the game but my mum didn't like that one, cos it used to ruin my school shoes.

Both verisons were imaginatively titled: Wally

Happy days

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Reading this has just broke the memory of a simple tennis ball throwing game we used to play against an 8ft high x 10ft wide stone wall - so it had irregular sufaces.

Player 1 throws the ball at the wall and player 2 has to retrieve it.

Player 2 then throws the ball at the wall from wherever they were when they picked it up from the first throw.

Player 3 has to retrieve it etc etc.

A good hard throw and a dodgy angle on the wall often meant you were having to throw it from quite a distance.

Miss the wall. You lose

Somebody catches the ball without it bouncing. You lose

Last kid in the game wins.

We also had a kicking variation of the game but my mum didn't like that one, cos it used to ruin my school shoes.

Both verisons were imaginatively titled: Wally

Happy days

Sounds somewhat similar to a game which I can't remember the name of.

Football on a small court, where you had one touch to score. Ball could be hit whether it was moving or stationary (as long as the outcome of the pervious person's strike was known). Miss and you lose a life, 4 lives in total. 

Maybe it was called G-O-A-L or something like that. The letter signifying how many lives you had left ?‍♂️

In secondary school, we used to be forced to play a game where you have two sides, one out in the field and one in the outfield.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.  When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!
I think there's also a version where they play for 5 days straight, then just think "Feck it, shall we just call it a draw"!