Chinny reckon

dog

Greg Davies used to do a stand up bit about these kind of expressions and how they varied depending on what part of the country you were in. In our playground (early 90s) this saying had evolved into "chinny Mandela"

What did everyone else here call the football knock out game where you all played solo against a single 'keeper? Once you scored you were through to the next round and the last remaining player each round was eliminated. We called it "One Man Wembley", but a kid up from London sparked outrage by referring to the game as "cuppy singles".

Edited by Anon

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

Greg Davies used to do a stand up bit about these kind of expressions and how they varied depending on what part of the country you were in. In our playground (early 90s) this saying had evolved into "chinny Mandela"

What did everyone else here call the football knock out game where you all played solo against a single 'keeper? Once you scored you were through to the next round and the last remaining player each round was eliminated. We called it "One Man Wembley", but a kid up from London sparked outrage by referring to the game as "cuppy singles".

Wembley Singles. Also did Wembley Doubles in teams of two.

1 hour ago, dog said:

Accompanied by a stroke of a very long pretend chin. Anyone else do it when they were kids?

Where did it come from? Do kids still do it?

I also remember that the chin would be stroked in the event of a fairly innocuous lie. An egregious whopper of a lie would often be punctuated by a violent slapping of the chin to fully express the level of disgust.

12 minutes ago, Anon said:

I also remember that the chin would be stroked in the event of a fairly innocuous lie. An egregious whopper of a lie would often be punctuated by a violent slapping of the chin to fully express the level of disgust.

We did 'chinny reckon' back in the 80s, but there was also 'itchy beard' (with the same chin stroking action), but if it was massive lie/utter BS, 'Tutankhamun' was used instead. This involved a much longer stroke of the chin (even sometimes down to chest level), and an over-emphasis on the last syllable (i.e. 'Tutankamoooooon')

6 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

We did 'chinny reckon' back in the 80s, but there was also 'itchy beard' (with the same chin stroking action), but if it was massive lie/utter BS, 'Tutankhamun' was used instead. This involved a much longer stroke of the chin (even sometimes down to chest level), and an over-emphasis on the last syllable (i.e. 'Tutankamoooooon')

In Allestree it was itchy chin, then eventually morphed into chinwag. I don't think we ever said chinny reckon but we would have known what it meant. It also became "Jimmy Hill" for obvious reasons

43 minutes ago, Anon said:

This was cuppies and double cuppies if you played in twos

Not a clue about the chin thing!  

The footy thing was known as "Cuppies".

No idea about "Cherry Knocking", but we did play "Astronauts Knock".  It's similar to "Postman's Knock", but you go a hell of a lot further!  ?

it was "itcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee chin" when I worra lad,

Single and Double Cuppies.

Combees (headers and volleys against the keeper)

Cheery Knocking

Kerbie/Curbie

Wall-ie

Bagsy Twos (when someone cracked open a can of coke/tango) - which was followed by "bagsy threes", which then spawned "bagsy twos - no threes!"

This is only tangentially related, but I was wondering about kids of today having this sort of conversation in the future

My 12 year old is always telling me new words/colloquialisms that I have no idea about

In return he seemed completely shocked when I explained to him that "text speak" like LOL only evolved because we had to learn to type words on a numeric keypad of an old mobile phone, so everything got abbreviated for speed. He just thought it was real words!

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

This is only tangentially related, but I was wondering about kids of today having this sort of conversation in the future

My 12 year old is always telling me new words/colloquialisms that I have no idea about

In return he seemed completely shocked when I explained to him that "text speak" like LOL only evolved because we had to learn to type words on a numeric keypad of an old mobile phone, so everything got abbreviated for speed. He just thought it was real words!

I imagine that the scenarios we've been discussing in this thread will be less common as kids now have a shared national/global online culture rather than different phrases evolving in isolated pockets.

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Got an 11 year old nephew who likes playing Apex Legends and these other battle royale style games who kept going on about 'teabagging' people he'd killed.

Now to him, that's purely something that people do in these games. Stand over the opponent and crouch down. "It's just like doing a little dance" he says, totally oblivious (thankfully) to the origins of the term.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

Itchy chin

One man Wem or two man Wem 

Heads and volls

Red ass

Anyone also have random games played by you and your mates? When we were about 12, as you do, football for hours after school with a group of about 5 mates we played a fame we knew between us as "branco" named after the Brazilian footballer of the time. When there were a couple of you waiting for the rest you would have a freekick, peno and 1 v1 against each other. Last player to score one of each loses.

Totally forgot about ‘chinny’, it could range from over dramatic gurning to a subtle scratch. Great way of taking down bulls hitters at school.

Football wise was always cuppy singles/doubles and headers and volleys.

There was a game called lergy which was basically hide and seek but you had to get back to base before whoever was on.

knockadoor run and cat creeping in back gardens.

Have a few Scot’s mates who called it ‘knock a door ginger’