A live comedy thread

TuffLuff

• 3 months later...

Frankie Boyle: it was good, strangely I liked it less the more time has passed and I've had a bit of time to mull it over. Lot of his content I had seen before on other shows, he was full of cold apparently but it felt a little dialled in.

Stewart Lee: usually love him but he was in a particulalry truculent mood and lost the room a bit (his whole thing was that it was a spillover gig, sold out the first night so put a second one on, and all the people in the audience were people who weren't really that bothered to make sure they got a ticket). Still a cracking night out but maybe not the best night I've seen him deliver

Jonathan Pie: There's a lot of energy in it, I wasn't really looking forward to being ranted at for one hour about much I kind of know to be true. There was a bit of that, preaching to a choir given the audience. But he had some great content, even if the last twenty felt like he was just stretching it out a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Tom Allen at Hall for Cornwall tonight. 

Really enjoyed it. I had no expectations beforehand having not seen him do stand up but thoroughly enjoyed it as did Mrs Badger. 

His delivery feels like a cross between Eddie Izzard and John Mulaney. Fast paced and dramatic. 

Brilliant crowd work in the first half with lots of call backs and the expected references/double entendres to his sexuality. 

Will definitely get tickets if he comes back. 

On 19/02/2024 at 15:18, BaaLocks said:

Stewart Lee: usually love him but he was in a particulalry truculent mood and lost the room a bit (his whole thing was that it was a spillover gig, sold out the first night so put a second one on, and all the people in the audience were people who weren't really that bothered to make sure they got a ticket). Still a cracking night out but maybe not the best night I've seen him deliver

It's interesting to see someone else mention this. I've seen Lee many times through the years, but his last show was the weakest material I've seen him perform since his very early days. Truculent is an excellent descriptor and I was left with a similar impression, but you can never be certain whether it's intentional since the character "Stewart Lee" is truculent by design. Is he still using the "this side of the room doesn't get it" schtick to increase audience engagement? I have to admit I'm getting pretty tired of that now. He's worked it into every show for nearly 2 decades and that seems an odd crutch for someone I always admired for his innovation. Maybe I should take a brake from his stuff for a few years, or maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy (like Stew).

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/andy-askins

Went to Derby Playhouse last night for the comedy store, this guy was superb (think Harry Hill with smaller collars and a guitar)

Not just a play to the crowd job, was very off the wall, wet myself laughing at the Sting send up "massage in a brothel"

Well worth the trip at around £20 a seat

In fact the comedy store, which plays every month or two is well worth the money.

Some great emerging talent and some great established (not mainstream)comedy acts

21 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

At least your reply got a laugh off someone 😂 .

One more than the "Comedian" in question ! 

This is more like it - by all means have a dig about how she is really not that funny. But mocking her disability is really low - even for i-ram 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

This is more like it - by all means have a dig about how she is really not that funny. But mocking her disability is really low - even for i-ram 

Who was mocking her disability? I was pointing out I can’t understand her, in an amusing way. Whether you find it, or indeed her, amusing is neither here or there. 

Had to laugh at the irony of @Bob The Badger pulling me up on the joke. His favourite comedians include Jimmy Carr and Ricky Gervais. He must be going to a lot of gigs where he storms out after 5 minutes with outrage 😘

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Who was mocking her disability? I was pointing out I can’t understand her, in an amusing way. Whether you find it, or indeed her, amusing is neither here or there. 

Had to laugh at the irony of @Bob The Badger pulling me up on the joke. His favourite comedians include Jimmy Carr and Ricky Gervais. He must be going to a lot of gigs where he storms out after 5 minutes with outrage 😘

I cannot remember either mocking a specific person for their disability.

If they did that, I wouldn't like it.

Both look at broad constructs. And both, as per Carr's Travellers joke from a couple of years ago, are actually trying to ridicule the more common narrative around the stereotypes of the subject material.

I don't even like it when Stweart Lee goes after other comedians. But as the ones he does go after are much bigger names than him, I put up with it.

I love to point out the irony of you having a go at me for missing irony that wasn't present, but you'd not understand it and it would be punching down, so I won't.

15 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I cannot remember either mocking a specific person for their disability.

If they did that, I wouldn't like it.

Both look at broad constructs. And both, as per Carr's Travellers joke from a couple of years ago, are actually trying to ridicule the more common narrative around the stereotypes of the subject material.

I don't even like it when Stweart Lee goes after other comedians. But as the ones he does go after are much bigger names than him, I put up with it.

I love to point out the irony of you having a go at me for missing irony that wasn't present, but you'd not understand it and it would be punching down, so I won't.

Just had a quick google of Jimmy Carr for you Bob. First thing that came up:

"Why are they called Sunshine Variety coaches when all the kids look the same?"  Thats your comedy hero there Bob, at his best 😀

Saw him live a couple of times too, going down the front row mocking his audience. He loves mocking people, disabled or otherwise.

Ricky Gervais, who I actually find funny most of the time, was always taking the mick out of his wheelchaired producer Ash. He's had a good go at Stephen Hawking too, oh and lets not forget the disabled girl he left in the stairwell in the Office during fire escape practice.  These are just quick top of the head things, I can find you a lot more examples if you want? Doubt it it would help your argument though would it you hypocrite?

Were you having a go at my dwarfism with your punching down comment? How very dare you.

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Just had a quick google of Jimmy Carr for you Bob. First thing that came up:

"Why are they called Sunshine Variety coaches when all the kids look the same?"  Thats your comedy hero there Bob, at his best 😀

Saw him live a couple of times too, going down the front row mocking his audience. He loves mocking people, disabled or otherwise.

Ricky Gervais, who I actually find funny most of the time, was always taking the mick out of his wheelchaired producer Ash. He's had a good go at Stephen Hawking too, oh and lets not forget the disabled girl he left in the stairwell in the Office during fire escape practice.  These are just quick top of the head things, I can find you a lot more examples if you want? Doubt it it would help your argument though would it you hypocrite?

Were you having a go at my dwarfism with your punching down comment? How very dare you.

I'm not sure I want to get sucked into this because you're missing the point and I’m not sure I can help you with that.

Gervais and Carr are clearly caring people. I’ve read enough about them to believe that. Carr aims more fun at himself than everybody else.

I was on the front row of his last Truro gig and saw him work from about 3 feet away. He messes with the audience and laughs with them, never laughing harder than when somebody puts him down. He does take the piss, but every person he interacted with was laughing hysterically. That’s because he’s a pro, and he knows who to pick and when to back off.

If you push back, then yeah, he’s gonna come after you, but you did that to yourself.

He actually never spoke to me and Mrs Badger, but he did to the people on both sides of us. Make a joke out of that because I’m sure there is one.

I was in the second row for Tom Allen on Sunday, and he did pretty much the same thing. It was some of the best crowd work I have ever seen.

And Jim Jefferies did an entire joke of several minute about the deaf and a sign language person, and you know who loved it the most? The deaf. The invited him to do a gig for them and he did.

Do you really think Gervais’s assistant is upset or offended? Or do you think she knows he doesn’t mean it and is really having a go at stereotypical attitudes?

He’s a leftie, you do know that, right?

It’s the intent that (at least to me) is important. Every comedian ducks up from time to time, but as long as they aren’t trying to hurt people or they are going after nebulous constructs, I’m fine with that.

From reading your posts over the years, I sensed a certain amount of contempt from your comment and contempt never makes me laugh even if I sometimes feel it.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm not sure I want to get sucked into this because you're missing the point and I’m not sure I can help you with that.

Gervais and Carr are clearly caring people. I’ve read enough about them to believe that. Carr aims more fun at himself than everybody else.

I was on the front row of his last Truro gig and saw him work from about 3 feet away. He messes with the audience and laughs with them, never laughing harder than when somebody puts him down. He does take the piss, but every person he interacted with was laughing hysterically. That’s because he’s a pro, and he knows who to pick and when to back off.

If you push back, then yeah, he’s gonna come after you, but you did that to yourself.

He actually never spoke to me and Mrs Badger, but he did to the people on both sides of us. Make a joke out of that because I’m sure there is one.

I was in the second row for Tom Allen on Sunday, and he did pretty much the same thing. It was some of the best crowd work I have ever seen.

And Jim Jefferies did an entire joke of several minute about the deaf and a sign language person, and you know who loved it the most? The deaf. The invited him to do a gig for them and he did.

Do you really think Gervais’s assistant is upset or offended? Or do you think she knows he doesn’t mean it and is really having a go at stereotypical attitudes?

He’s a leftie, you do know that, right?

It’s the intent that (at least to me) is important. Every comedian ducks up from time to time, but as long as they aren’t trying to hurt people or they are going after nebulous constructs, I’m fine with that.

From reading your posts over the years, I sensed a certain amount of contempt from your comment and contempt never makes me laugh even if I sometimes feel it.

Thanks for the reply Bob. Jimmy Carr is particularly caring. He did so much good work for those poor people in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda, investing his hard earned so that they might prosper. Even didn't tell anyone. Such is his wonderful selflessness.

You carry on paying his front row premium to enjoy his sometimes off colour humour, and enjoy your middle class self delusion (bit of Stewart Lee for you there). Perhaps also put this uncaring nobody on 'ignore' - I hate the idea of you feeling contempt for me.