A live comedy thread

TuffLuff

On 25/03/2023 at 08:59, AndyB said:

I love live stand up comedy. This year I have tickets for Nikki Glaser (first time live), Peter Kay (first time live) and Sarah Millican (seen her live 3 times before, always brilliant).

Over the years I’ve seen too many to mention but loved Reeves and Mortimer, Newman and Baddiel, Frank Skinner and Fern Brady to name a few.

Been to many a Funhouse Comedy night at the Old Bell in Derby too, always a good laugh and have found the compare and at least 2 of the 3 acts to be worth seeing.

On my wish list Taylor Tomlinson.

I like Nikki Glaser but never seen her live. 

We have tickets to see Sarah Millican next year. Mrs Badger loves her. I like her but it wouldn't break my heart to miss it. 

Our next gig isn't until August and Jimmy Carr in Truro. Have front row seat so excited about that. Seen him once before and he was excellent. 

Saw Reeves and Mortimer in the late 90s and it was utter chaos with Uncle Peter stealing the show. Skinner circa 1995 was possibly the greatest show I've ever seen. Saw him last year in Plymouth and he was very good but not quite as edgy. 

Never saw Newman and Baddiel but would love to have History Today was genius.  

• 2 months later...

Just got front-row tickets for James Acaster at the Hall for Cornwall next May. Not seen much of his stuff, but I've liked what I have seen. Anybody seen him live?

It costs us £35 per year to be a supporter for Hall for Cornwall and it's meant we have got front-row tickets for him, Jimmy Carr, Tom Allen, Stweart Lee and 6 tix on the 3rd row for Sarah Millican using advanced booking. It's brilliant value for a great venue.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

She did.

She just didn't like the chicken juice joke and the length it went on for. Plus, she really likes Ricky Gervais and I think it irked her the way he went after him.

Good job she didn't see him in the past if she thought the chicken juice joke went on too long! He didn't do any of that in this show actually.

He did a big part about a guy telling his female partner how she really ought to see Stewart Lee as he was so critically acclaimed. She might have liked that!

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Any good?

He was ok, I’ve seen enough of him on tv and online to know what to expect. I just think he went down the route of trying to shock and unnecessary swearing ( how many fisting jokes do you need to hear) At one point he said this is why you don’t see me on tv anymore, I have to agree. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2023 at 10:07, Rev said:

Tickets secured for Micky Flanagan next month.

On 18/08/2023 at 13:32, David said:

Same. Which one you going to? We're off to the Leeds one.

On 18/08/2023 at 14:21, Rev said:

Nottingham Arena. 

Me and Mrs Sagan off to see him at London's Lyric Theatre. Everything's better in the South! ;)

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Me and Mrs Sagan off to see him at London's Lyric Theatre. Everything's better in the South! 😉

Smaller venue the better when it comes to comedy, I find.

He's doing quite a few shows at the Lyric, I noticed. I'd much prefer to see him at a theatre, but beggars can't be choosers.

A couple of weeks ago, one of his stand ups was on TV.  

If I can find the link, I'll post it.

Had a friend see Micky Flanagan in London recently and she was super disappointed. Said he'd lost his edge.  Iterested to hear what you guys think. Plus it was a warm-up gig, not the one at the Lyceum last week. So they can be hit and miss.

I found that a tad with Frank Skinner though. I really like him last time, but his angry single-man energy had gone. Unsurprising I suppose.

Having said that, I thought the same with Bill Burrr when I saw him live, but his latest Netflix special may be his best ever, so maybe it was just a dip in form.

Off to see Jimmay Carr on Friday. Very excited.

On 03/08/2023 at 10:07, Rev said:

Tickets secured for Micky Flanagan next month.

I looked at that - £85. Wow, that's a bit steep isn't it.

Got tickets for Frankie Boyle coming up, plus got tickets for a Christmas show including David O'Doherty, Fern Brady, Jen Brister, Josh Pugh, Kyrah Gray. Jonathan Pie next Feb, Jenny Eclair in October (the good lady thinks she is great, I go to my happy place).

Problem with all of these tickets a long time in advance is that I had tickets for Frankie Boyle a few months back and only realised three weeks after that I had missed the show.

We also do a local comedy night at a pub near us - costs £8 for a ticket, normally people starting out and finding their feet. Of the four or so people every time one is normally terrible, but you do occassionally get a real gem. It does also remind you just how hard this is to do well.

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I looked at that - £85. Wow, that's a bit steep isn't it.

Got tickets for Frankie Boyle coming up, plus got tickets for a Christmas show including David O'Doherty, Fern Brady, Jen Brister, Josh Pugh, Kyrah Gray. Jonathan Pie next Feb, Jenny Eclair in October (the good lady thinks she is great, I go to my happy place).

Problem with all of these tickets a long time in advance is that I had tickets for Frankie Boyle a few months back and only realised three weeks after that I had missed the show.

We also do a local comedy night at a pub near us - costs £8 for a ticket, normally people starting out and finding their feet. Of the four or so people every time one is normally terrible, but you do occassionally get a real gem. It does also remind you just how hard this is to do well.

We had tickets for Frankie Boyle and missed it as we got Covid.

Saw Jonathan Pie in Sheffield last September - very good. Brilliant ending/call back.

Got front row tickets for Jimm Carr on Friday, the Gary Delananey again in December with Tom Allen, James Adcaster, 

Romesh Ranganathan and Sarah Millican (that one for Mrs Badger, as I'm just ok with her) all next year.

And yes, I agree, £85 sounds insane.

The only person I spent close to that was Chris Rock, and even then, it was $70, so a fair bit less.

Even Rick Gervais was only £50 face value.