A live comedy thread

TuffLuff

Saw Jimmy Carr on Friday at the Hall for Cornwall.

It was interesting to see him so closely. I've been on the f front row a few times, but in much smaller venues like The Improv in Orlando, so I have never had the sensation of looking up at a comedian before.

It was interesting to see all his facial expressions and concentration levels

Anyway, he was good.

Very good.

He mercilessly mocked the 16-year-old sat next to me. Or rather, his fat dad.

But something scary happened.

I'd got nowhere to put my phone, so I had it on the chair next to me.

When I shifted, it fell off. So I put my hand down and felt around but couldn't feel it.

I thought I saw the guy in the seat behind me slide his foot over and so I sat back up, expecting him to pass it through, but he didn't.

Each time Jimmy went to the other side of the stage I had to look left anyway, so I glanced to my left and back and the guy had his arms under his coat.

I had another couple of goes at retrieving in, but short of getting up and turning around and then being roasted by Carr (in a comedic way), there was nothing I could do, and I was convinced he'd nicked it.

Then JC started reading out texts from people who had sent jokes/requests in before the show, and somebody had asked him to say hello to her uncle, who had just come out of prison that week.

He asked who it was and what he'd been in for.

Yep, it was the guy who was sitting behind me.

Bad enough, but it got worse.

He'd been stabbed in his own home (don't even ask, this is Cornwall) and knocked the guy out,

Rather than call the Police, he'd gone and boiled a kettle and poured the boiling water over his nut sack.

So now the guy who had nicked my phone also liked boiling men's nuts.

At that point, I thought duck it, he can have it. I can get another phone, I can't get another scrotum.

At the end, I looked round when the lights came up and there was my phone a foot away under my wife's seat.

Clearly, he's just a lunatic with a kettle and not a thief.

8/10 for Carr

• 3 weeks later...

More tickets purchased, now got these lot booked in.

30th September - Micky Flanagan, Leeds

14th October - Adam Rowe, Scunthorpe

18th October - Jamie Hutchinson, Hull

5th November - Angelos Epithemiou, Hull

Went to the Comedy Lounge in Hull the other week, first room I've been to with table service which felt a little weird but kinda works well. Switch on the table light and they come to take your order.

There were no rules against using it whilst the acts were on, although nobody did which was great to see. Can see that getting abused with some wrong'uns in that are there to get wasted.

Going back there for Angelos Epithemiou in November, didn't know he was even around playing that role. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. Micky Flanagan was fantastic. Although hearing him say he's 60 years old made me feel a little old.

I say fantastic, it did tail off somewhat by the end of the hour, pulled it back around for the 20 minute encore.

Was supported by Stephen Bailey who had us in stitches, never heard of him to be honest and sticking his name up in YouTube returned few results, one was a set uploaded 5 years ago which he used the previous night.

First Direct Arena though, wow, they made the O2 in London look cheap, £9 a pint, £50 for 2 bottles of wine, £6.50 for a coke, £5 bag of chocolate, £20 for a burger and soft drink, even tried to charge my mate £4 for the soda with her vodka until she kicked off.

I get you don't have to drink, it's a comedy night though, loosens you up a bit, this captive audience pricing is a joke. 

1 minute ago, Rev said:

I think it was the same fella you saw. 

Did he do a joke about smacking his little girl in the face with his testicles? 

Don't believe so, he was gay. 

Started out with him being asked who he's been shagging in the village this week and he replied her son.

Something along those lines.

3 minutes ago, David said:

Started out with him being asked who he's been shagging in the village this week and he replied her son.

Must be a different bloke, I'll have a Google. 

56 minutes ago, David said:

53 minutes ago, Rev said:

Must be a different bloke, I'll have a Google. 

This was pretty much his set that night, bit more edgy being a live performance rather than recorded. 

On 06/10/2023 at 10:00, Anag Ram said:

Saw Gary Delaney in Bristol last night.

Terrific fun and so many jokes. You really do get your money’s worth with him.

Loads of puerile nob jokes, delivered without malice.

He tests his audience and Bristol unsurprisingly proved unshockable 😊

Amazingly, Falmouth passed, and so did Plymouth when I saw him there last year.

Passing his filth test is like hooking a duck to win a goldfish.

We had a good night though and even though we saw him on this tour, there was still plenty of new material and so many jokes that I'd forgotten.

He sure can work a crowd.

I'd definitely go and see him again on a new tour.

Got a gap now to Acaster and Ranganathan next Spring.

48 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Started watching the Alan Partridge "Stratagem" live show on Amazon Prime last night

I've loved Partridge from day one, but I gave up at the interval - it was woeful, I barely even raised a smile

I'm a big Alan Partridge fan but I've heard this from a few people now, so I will be continuing to avoid it following your post.

Saw Mark Watson last night - as entertaining, in his neurotic self-effacing way, as usual.

Playing Derby Theatre in January.

I have a load of tickets booked:

Jordan Gray

Tom Allen

Jimmy Carr

Rhod Gilbert 

Guz Khan

Miles Jupp

Daniel Sloss

Jonathan Pie

Sam Campbell

James Acaster

Paul Foot

Ed Gamble

It seems comedy is becoming the new rock ‘n’ roll for me.  Must be my age!

The most disappointing thing is none of them are in Derby, as the standard of venues for moderate sized comedy/music is so poor…

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

Saw Mark Watson last night - as entertaining, in his neurotic self-effacing way, as usual.

Playing Derby Theatre in January.

I have a load of tickets booked:

Jordan Gray

Tom Allen

Jimmy Carr

Rhod Gilbert 

Guz Khan

Miles Jupp

Daniel Sloss

Jonathan Pie

Sam Campbell

James Acaster

Paul Foot

Ed Gamble

It seems comedy is becoming the new rock ‘n’ roll for me.  Must be my age!

The most disappointing thing is none of them are in Derby, as the standard of venues for moderate sized comedy/music is so poor…

Try living in Cornwall!

Saw JC in August, and we too have Acastaer and Hall tickets, as well as Ranganathan and Sarah Millican

We saw Jonathan Pie on his last tour, and he was very good. He'd not be in my top 20%, but very enjoyable.

A number of those (Khan, Gilbert and Campbell) I'm not familiar with as I'm still getting back into UK comedy.

Felt Micky Flanagan was 10/10 in the week. Comedians can easily stop being funny, but he remains at the height of his powers. Lucky to grab Lyric Theatre tickets. Mrs Sagan never stopped belly-laughing beside me. We probably first saw him 20 years ago in small venues around Bethnal Green. 

Support was Eeshan Akbar from Whitechapel. Middling.