A live comedy thread

TuffLuff

I know there’s a few comedy/stand up heads on the forum so thought it might be worth starting a thread.l to post upcoming shows/festivals/reviews etc etc

Anyway…

—————
Daniel Kitson has announced a tour of outdoor shows including two in Derby at Melbourne Hall on June 18th and July 14th. Don’t think ticket links will be about for another week but once they are up I’ll post a link. 

31 minutes ago, Boycie said:

They have comedy nights at The Shiny Tap in Little Eaton.

Apparently it’s a real (ale) laugh!

I’m here all week, try the lamb.

63A08B92-C883-4464-B8F8-36F006FF829E.thumb.jpeg.c67fb52766aeed5356a9c08a98d1031b.jpeg

I would also add Simon Lomas is a very very good up and coming stand up. Maybe slightly ‘off-kilter’ but saw him twice on bills in Sheffield pre pandemic and had the crowd fully on side/belly laughing with him both times.

Seems to pop up on bills all over the place now. Looks like a good show with the added joy of being in a brewery!

• 3 weeks later...

Kitson tickets on sale here although probably a bit pricey considering travel. Alas, if you love DK it’s probably worth it. https://www.justthetonic.com/melbourne-comedy/shows/saturday-18-jun-2022/5527/

But, for those looking at something a bit special, Just The Tonic are also doing some weekend shindigs there which maybe look a bit more enticing to those on here looking at the line ups. https://www.justthetonic.com/melbourne-comedy/

Really intrigued to see if this works and whether they do it again.

20 hours ago, sage said:

I may have 2 Bill Bailey tickets available for the Sat 14th show at Sheffield Arena at face value if anyone is interested 

I have 2 tickets for Bill Bailey on Saturday at Sheffield. 

Tickets were £45 ish each. 

If anyone wants them, they can for £60 the pair 

On 07/05/2022 at 20:47, sage said:

I have 2 tickets for Bill Bailey on Saturday at Sheffield. 

Tickets were £45 ish each. 

If anyone wants them, they can for £60 the pair 

Still got these available. £40 the pair 

• 1 month later...

Got to see Stewart Lee do his back to back sets (Tornado and Snowflake) at Hall for Cornwall (best comedy venue I have been to since the Improv in Orlando) on Saturday.

I concur with @ariotofmyown, brilliant.

Since I moved back I've seen Jimmy Carr, Frank Skinner and Jonathan Pie, Lee was better than them all. And they were all good.

His writing is so clever and his use of call backs second to none.

I'm not sure how well Dave Chappelle is known over here but. he is HUGE in the US. Lee's impersonation and takedown of him was brilliant and hysterical. I shall never look at the juice from a rotisserie chicken in the same way.

And the last sketch from the first set about sharks in an Alan Bennett voice had my cheeks hurting I was laughing that much.

He's deeply political, irreverent and gives no ducks about upsetting people. I doubt there were many Tory voters there on Saturday. At least there and laughing. 

Mrs Badger wasn't keen on him going after Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Carr as she likes both of them. But so do I and I think it's fine. I don't think they are any less funny because Stewart Lee doesn't care for them.

10/10.

• 2 months later...

Not a comedy as such, but I've just come out the theatre after watching The Book of Mormon.

Knew very little about it going in, and I'm glad I didn't ruin the surprise. 

If you're a wrong un, like me, you'll love it.

If you're a good Catholic raised person, such as my wife, you'll love it too, although with a healthy side order of guilt for laughing so much.

See it before it's cancelled.

• 1 month later...

Went to see Doug Stanhope with @Eatonramin Leeds 5 or 6 weeks ago and he was utterly outstanding. As high as a kite and kept losing the thread, but he did 2 hours and I laughed my ass off.

I think that's the 8th time I've seen him live and the first in this country and he is the most consistant comic out there. His off nights are better than most comedians best nights.

Went to see Jon Richardson in Plymouth last night. There was an excellent moment when on starting to tell a Frank Lampard joke somebody near the back screamed Deeeerby! (Richardson is a Leeds fan).

He stopped, laughed, and said 'not a Derby fan down here, surely?' to which I shouted (and I was only 3 rows from the front) Come on your Rams! He looked at me and said 'You as well?' to which he got a loud 'duck yes'.

Aaaanyway, apart from embarrassing Mrs Badger and a brief moment of camaraderie with a fellow Ram who I never even saw, he was very good.

His close was a tad week, but his marriage observational stuff is really dialled in and Mrs Badger was peeing herself.

She wasn't laughing, she just has a UTI.

Next up: Gary Delaney in December and Frankie Boyle in March. Anybody. here seen either live? They're both new for me.

Edited by Bob The Badger

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Next up: Gary Delaney in December and Frankie Boyle in March. Anybody. here seen either live?

Saw Gary last December. He's just gag after gag at a fast lick, along the lines of Tim Vine, Stewart Francis etc. 

My wife and I both laughed ourselves stupid, and we have quite different tastes usually.