Sombrero Day - v Cardiff at Home - 7th May

Mucker1884

First off, acknowledgements and apologies in equal measure, to @loweman2, for the inexcusable interruption of his otherwise mighty fine thread, here...

In short, the end of this season marks the 50th anniversary of arguably the greatest day in DCFC's history... Champions of England, for the first time.
The management team of the day have rightfully earned themselves a damn fine statue outside our very own Theatre of Flashbacks.
The players of the day have... to a man... rightfully earned themselves the status of "True club legends".

You'll note within the afore-linked thread that those very players were sunning themselves in Majorca when we were crowned Champions, and were pictured throughout the nationwide papier-press sat celebrating by the pool... in the sunshine... wearing... wait for it... SOMBREROS!  ("Ah!"  They cry!  "Finally, I see where this is leading"!

... So some highly intelligent and wise poster went on to suggest we may all consider similar headgear, for the last game of the season, in honour of those very same true club legends, and in tribute to their very own celebrations, 50 years ago. 

Now, if you read that afore-linked thread from cover to cover, you'll note that I have now ordered and received my sombrero... (3 actually, so I'll be more than happy to donate a couple).  I've even included a couple of links to aid the commencement of any shopping trips you may wish to pursue, but of course, alternative sombreros are available from all good sombrero retailers.
You'll also note my pleas for you all... all 30,000+ of you... to join me in this rather spiffing, well-meaning, fun-loving, and possibly romantic crusade... if only to ensure I don't turn up looking like some weird loner in a rather splendid hat!

Remember... this is a nod to 50 years ago, and the greatest achievement in the club's history.  It has no bearing on today's shenanigans.  It is not in any way related to whether we avoid relegation or not.  It is neither reference to the fight, or the end!  And it is most certainly the very opposite of a protest!

Word is, a fair few of those Heroes of 71/72 will be parading on the pitch for the Cardiff games.  Let's make them smile.  Let's remind them of their wonderful memories, and their unique celebrations.  Let's maybe even embarrass them into again wearing sombreros themselves, rather than them feeling left out, this time around.

Do it for a laugh by all means.  But do it for Derby.  Do it for those legends.  Do it for History. 

Oh... and these pages are the limit of my DCFC related interwebbery, so if anyone has the desire and/or capability to spread the word, please do so, and please accept my advanced gratitude.

Snakes at Stoke became a thing, so let's make Sombrero Day a day to remember... for the fans, the press, and most of all, those wonderful, heroic, legendary heroes of this mighty fine massive club of ours!

UTR
?

Edited by Mucker1884

47 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

First off, acknowledgements and apologies in equal measure, to @loweman2, for the inexcusable interruption of his otherwise mighty fine thread, here...

In short, the end of this season marks the 50th anniversary of arguably the greatest day in DCFC's history... Champions of England, for the first time.
The management team of the day have rightfully earned themselves a damn fine statue outside our very own Theatre of Flashbacks.
The players of the day have... to a man... rightfully earned themselves the status of "True club legends".

You'll note within the afore-linked thread that those very players were sunning themselves in Majorca when we were crowned Champions, and were pictured throughout the nationwide papier-press sat celebrating by the pool... in the sunshine... wearing... wait for it... SOMBREROS!  ("Ah!"  They cry!  "Finally, I see where this is leading"!

... So some highly intelligent and wise poster went on to suggest we may all consider similar headgear, for the last game of the season, in honour of those very same true club legends, and in tribute to their very own celebrations, 50 years ago. 

Now, if you read that afore-linked thread from cover to cover, you'll note that I have now ordered and received my sombrero... (3 actually, so I'll be more than happy to donate a couple).  I've even included a couple of links to aid the commencement of any shopping trips you may wish to pursue, but of course, alternative sombreros are available from all good sombrero retailers.
You'll also note my pleas for you all... all 30,000+ of you... to join me in this rather spiffing, well-meaning, fun-loving, and possibly romantic crusade... if only to ensure I don't turn up looking like some weird loner in a rather splendid hat!

Remember... this is a nod to 50 years ago, and the greatest achievement in the club's history.  It has no bearing on today's shenanigans.  It is not in any way related to whether we avoid relegation or not.  It is neither reference to the fight, or the end!  And it is most certainly the very opposite of a protest!

Word is, a fair few of those Heroes of 71/72 will be parading on the pitch for the Cardiff games.  Let's make them smile.  Let's remind them of their wonderful memories, and their unique celebrations.  Let's maybe even embarrass them into again wearing sombreros themselves, rather than them feeling left out, this time around.

Do it for a laugh by all means.  But do it for Derby.  Do it for those legends.  Do it for History. 

Oh... and these pages are the limit of my DCFC related interwebbery, so if anyone has the desire and/or capability to spread the word, please do so, and please accept my advanced gratitude.

Snakes at Stoke became a thing, so let's make Sombrero Day a day to remember... for the fans, the press, and most of all, those wonderful, heroic, legendary heroes of this mighty fine massive club of ours!

UTR
?

The 30,003 amigos  .. .. again

38 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

@Mucker1884I reckon you have managed to find the original 1972 sombreros, I will have one off you to add to my collection ! How much ? ??

B096621A-DC3F-4539-9165-0C23785A0B57.png

Not quite, as mine have a ring of small tassels around the rim.

If anyone on here is worthy of a freebie "to add to their collection", then I'd imagine you'd be top of the list, given the magnificence of the collection as a whole.

More than happy to skim one your way.  (What stand do you reside in? ) ?

??

Superb idea @Mucker1884; perhaps we can gift a few sombreroes to the championship winning players? 

I've ordered mine and will be wearing it with Pride ...Let's all get behind this. 50 years ago Derby County were the best team in the land by a country mile (not just a point!) - remind a few people what English football might lose (ie the Club) if financial changes are not sorted.