Sombrero Day - v Cardiff at Home - 7th May

Mucker1884

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!

Remember folks... relegation aside, there's still one more celebration to be had.

If you think this season's team have given it their all, and have the right to walk off tall and proud (which they do, in my opinion), just consider the heroics of 71/72!
A Golden anniversary only comes around once, and now 50 years on, that first League win deserves our full attention, and full appreciation.

Let's all take our massive brimmed hats off to each and every one of those all time heroes of '72.

?

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

Just out of curiosity, how is a sombrero packaged?

Mine came tightly sat upon top of each other (3 together) inside a box that was 100mm smaller than the diameter of the brim, but 150mm taller than the height of the hats.  My brims look more Stetson than Sombrero!   ?

Sombrero arrived today ticket purchased be at the ground early to soak up the atmosphere, can’t get up to every game wish I could but loved every game I’ve been to this season win, lose (obviously not so much this)or draw because of the buzz with the support when you got in the ground.Got a feeling of sadness though for this group of players through no fault of their own have been relegated while they are seeing a team that 50 years ago won the league. 50 years ago I was 8 I cheered them players & the manager as they paraded the trophy but come May the 7th I think I’ll cheer this this team & manager a lot more for what they’re achieved. whatever happens in the future this year has brought together a football club.

I have my ticket.

But I don't think a Sombrero could handle the over night megabus trip, I might have to wrap the Aberdeenshire Rams Flag around me as a blanket and hold on tight for another trip to Derby that involves many pre match drinks to over ride that feeling of whatever happens in the game, theirs that horrible feeling to look forward too that Win, Draw or Loss, that the post match drinks will be surrounded by that feeling of a season finished, and that feeling of why does this feeling of getting so close to something special, (avoiding relegation) always seem to get taken away for us all.

I do apologise, this thread is supposedly for a celebration for what happened 50 years ago, then I remember the feeling I had last Saturday with my eldest lad, leaving Vicarage Road, Watford FC, when I overheard a Watford fan saying "why is it always us?, why doesn't something nice happen to us? " and at that moment I said to myself, you should try supporting Derby County, us fans all deserve a medal!

After Monday's relegation I quickly found myself rationalizing all of our predicament thinking starting all over again might be like being born again with all of our history and experiences to be bigger, stronger and more powerful.

I might even buy a Sombrero in Derby, I might even wear it, I might have a great time in Derby, especially if our football club has been saved and the wonderful Wayne Rooney and his fellow staff are looking forward to next season as I am, as my eldest lad is ready for a few trips away with the Aberdeenshire Rams, and here's hoping the youngest lad, is ready ASAP to come along and cheer on the mighty rams.

Fiesta perhaps.........