World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

18 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Could be interesting when the final whistle blows

Xhaka really is a first-class muppet. At one point he grabbed his groin and made some sort of offensive comment to the Serbian bench which nearly triggered a mass brawl, then in added time he got into a shoving match with one of the Serbian defenders - again nearly causing a mass fight. Then, while the ref is showing him the yellow card for that, he’s ignoring the ref and mouthing off at Mitrovic. Could quite easily have got another card and missed the next game….

9 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Xhaka really is a first-class muppet. At one point he grabbed his groin and made some sort of offensive comment to the Serbian bench which nearly triggered a mass brawl, then in added time he got into a shoving match with one of the Serbian defenders - again nearly causing a mass fight. Then, while the ref is showing him the yellow card for that, he’s ignoring the ref and mouthing off at Mitrovic. Could quite easily have got another card and missed the next game….

No love lost there. Serbia v someone of Albanian/Kosovan heritage 

Edited by sage

I think you can see why Brazil were made favorites. Not only do they have an excellent side, but they were given a relatively straightforward group and were on the opposite side of the draw to some big hitters.

The Japan shock has given them a pretty clear path to the semi-finals, where you’d expect them to face either Argentina or Holland. 

Another Swiss goal would have seen Brazil end up playing Portugal. That would have been fun.

On the whole though, interesting to see France, Brazil and Portugal (the only teams to win both their opening two matches) lose the third one while playing squad players. 

And Morocco’s reward for winning the group is pitting them on the side of Spain, Portugal, France and England. Croatia benefited from finishing second in that group.

Edited by Bris Vegas

10 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Route to Champions? Could be Senegal, France, Spain, Netherlands?

If England manage that run they will be deserving winners.

You can bet the haterz would say "they didn't play Brazil or Argentina!" but anyone beating those 4 in consecutive games would deserve it. 

15 minutes ago, Crewton said:

You can bet the haterz would say "they didn't play Brazil or Argentina!" but anyone beating those 4 in consecutive games would deserve it. 

Let me tell you I the (frenchman) would rather play Senegal than England. I really don't fancy us against England. If we had Benzema against your CB pair instead of Giroux and Kante in the middle of the park, different story but sadly that is not the case. Anyway, Let's get past the poles first...I still have nightmares about the euros game vs the Swiss

On 01/12/2022 at 21:30, Unlucky Alf said:

The width of a pubic hair on a gnat's knacker ? 

As Souness’ oafish tirade demonstrates, as the rule stands the human eye can’t easily tell whether the ball is in or out. The Japan goal makes you wonder how often linos give throw ins when the ball stays in. 
Why not change the rule so it’s easier to apply (ie more than half way over the line is out)?

Edited by kevinhectoring

25 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

As Souness’ oafish tirade demonstrates, as the rule stands the human eye can’t easily tell whether the ball is in or out. The Japan goal makes you wonder how often linos give throw ins when the ball stays in. 
Why not change the rule so it’s easier to apply (ie more than half way over the line is out)?

Can you see with the naked eye where half way on a ball is though? There’s always going to be room for error, especially when it happens fast, or it’s 3 foot in the air. Unless they use the goal line technology all around the pitch.

but this isn’t a new rule or anything, this is the rule for goals, and the whole reason they brought in goal line technology.

you can’t go second guessing every decision from every linesman. Really, this decision shouldn’t have been second guessed or scrutinised so much. Yes it led to a goal, but anywhere else on the pitch it wouldn’t have been questioned. Balls out, throw in, no problem.

I thought the rule was that only certain things could be checked by var if a goal is scored, they can’t go into every decision leading uk to the goal.

I’m pleased it was allowed to stand, but really I think it’s var sticking their oar in again. Refs decision should stand.

I heard someone the other day say it’s people trying to justify their existence, which might be true. If var is doing it’s job properly, it should be seamless and invisible. Decisions should be made in seconds, or it clearly wasn’t a clear and obvious error. But if they don’t make 17,000 decisions a match, people will decide it’s not doing anything and get rid of it. But that would be like getting rid of all your fire extinguishers cos you’ve not used them in the past year. 

26 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

That literally makes no difference.

Edge of ball or centre line.  They are both equally defining points, just in a different place!

I hasten to add, whilst I point out your proposed solution to be pointless, I am quick to acknowledge that I have no suitable solution to offer myself! ?

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

That literally makes no difference.

Edge of ball or centre line.  They are both equally defining points, just in a different place!

I hasten to add, whilst I point out your proposed solution to be pointless, I am quick to acknowledge that I have no suitable solution to offer myself! ?

Assessing whether the ball is overhanging is difficult I think. As the Japan debacle showed. I think it’s easier to determine whether the ball is more than half way over the line 

56 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Assessing whether the ball is overhanging is difficult I think. As the Japan debacle showed. I think it’s easier to determine whether the ball is more than half way over the line 

If I was pedantic... oh go on then... I'd argue against that.  The rule as it stands relies on the tangent.  Using a plan/overhead view, that usually amounts to whether there is an overlap and/or contact twixt ball & line versus a gap between ball & line ("Line" being the outer edge of the by-line, not the thickness of it)
Your suggestion needs to determine just how thick the rule makers make the centre line of your ball... which can never be as fine as a true point of tangent.
I do concede, either option does still rely on clear images, and perfect (or above perfect?) human eyesight!  

Having typed that, I'm now of the opinion that too many of us are becoming too bothered by something we have no control over, and at this point, I am becoming more and more keen to bow out of this conversation!  ??

EDIT:

Or... What @Norman just said!  ?

Edited by Mucker1884

20 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Good fun though.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Pretty sure it used to be that way Kev, Unfortunately the bureaucrats have got hold of "our beautiful game"