World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

Can’t wait for France.

In my lifetime England have never beaten a top side on neutral ground in the knockout stages.

In that time Germany, France, Italy and Spain have all won World Cups while Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Portugal have all won a Euros.

England’s best knockout wins in that time have been Spain (96) and Germany (20) both at Wembley.

I feel this is it. We are going to beat France and the hoodoo is over.

I'll give Southgate credit for switching things around, improving the team whilst slaughtering some sacred cows. 

He junked Trippier, mount and the 4231 in favour of 433.

We've looked a lot better for all of those moves. 

We've looked very good in patches of games, and dominated Wales and the 2nd half of Senegal. 

Big test next Saturday. Trying to remember last time we won a knockout game against a full strength opponent also playing well, but can't. 

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'll give Southgate credit for switching things around, improving the team whilst slaughtering some sacred cows. 

He junked Trippier, mount and the 4231 in favour of 433.

We've looked a lot better for all of those moves. 

We've looked very good in patches of games, and dominated Wales and the 2nd half of Senegal. 

Big test next Saturday. Trying to remember last time we won a knockout game against a full strength opponent also playing well, but can't. 

Are France at full strength? I don’t think so. But even at half strength they are pretty damned good.

20 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Can’t wait for France.

In my lifetime England have never beaten a top side on neutral ground in the knockout stages.

In that time Germany, France, Italy and Spain have all won World Cups while Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Portugal have all won a Euros.

England’s best knockout wins in that time have been Spain (96) and Germany (20) both at Wembley.

I feel this is it. We are going to beat France and the hoodoo is over.

Spain weren’t that great then and I think it was 0-0 and we won on penalties for once.

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Are France at full strength? I don’t think so. But even at half strength they are pretty damned good.

More or less full strength in terms of the players at the tournament. And playing well. 

After all, we are missing, er, delli alli and tiltok lingard, so we're not quite at full strength...... ?

28 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

If your plan is to always play out from the back, then the opposition plays a really high press, put it over their heads! 

We should have done that 20 mins earlier and not gifted them some good chances. As soon as we started going long, it was so easy.

So Warne ball works even at World Cup level, not just League 1 level?

51 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Commentators called it right. England’s recent failures in the WC and euros have involved Southgate declining to sub Kane despite that his batteries have gone flat. And 3 up against weak oppo in the round of 16 he takes off ... Bellingham

I wondered if anyone even bothers listening to the s**** these commentators come out with, unfortunately you've proved that they do.

Listened to the match in a pub where you couldn't here the commentary tonight, such a much more pleasant experience.

9 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

More or less full strength in terms of the players at the tournament. And playing well. 

After all, we are missing, er, delli alli and tiltok lingard, so we're not quite at full strength...... ?

Don't want to make excuses because even with the players we are missing (Kante, Benzema, Pogba, Nkunku) I think England could beat us. The first 3 would be starters and as a result France would have a much stronger bench but  at the moment it is pretty weak. Starting 11s are pretty even i would say but England's bench is by far the strongest at the tournament.  I am not feeling it, especially if it goes to extra time we literally have 1 player we can bring on to make a difference Kingsley Coman and that's it

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Commentators called it right. England’s recent failures in the WC and euros have involved Southgate declining to sub Kane despite that his batteries have gone flat. And 3 up against weak oppo in the round of 16 he takes off ... Bellingham

Why wouldn't you protect Bellingham at 3 - 0 up? 

I think France is actually not that bad of a match up for England. Kyle Walker is as equipped as any right back to cope with Mbappe, and they are weak in the middle of the park. I think sitting in and trying to hit them in the break might yield some success, but we have to play with our pace in Rashford and Saka. 

41 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Only missing the balón dor winner. But apart from that, full strength.

We’re missing James, to be fair, who would probably be a starter (he’s no balón dor winner though). 

Really good tonight. I thought the Senagalese were a tad sub-par, but we took our chances well and the second goal visibly broke their spirit. Kudos to Henderson who is a player I've given a few pelters. Thought he was excellent tonight. Kane looking more like the player we see in the Premier League too. Bellingham an absolute Rolls Royce. The sky is the limit for that lad.

Bring on the French! 

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Really good tonight. I thought the Senagalese were a tad sub-par, but we took our chances well and the second goal visibly broke their spirit. Kudos to Henderson who is a player I've given a few pelters. Thought he was excellent tonight. Kane looking more like the player we see in the Premier League too. Bellingham an absolute Rolls Royce. The sky is the limit for that lad.

Bring on the French! 

We are ready!

I think...