World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

4 hours ago, David said:

BBC have boycotted the opening ceremony, not showing it whilst talking about human rights issues. Causing a stir on Twitter

I'd love FIFA and Qatar to (maybe accidentally on purpose) boycott the coverage of the BBC feed for tomorrow's England game. Maybe pulling out a few strategic wires so it doesn't transmit here. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd love FIFA and Qatar to (maybe accidentally on purpose) boycott the coverage of the BBC feed for tomorrow's England game. Maybe pulling out a few strategic wires so it doesn't transmit here. 

Turns out, Qatar moved the start time of the ceremony just a few weeks ago, by which point the BBC had already committed the slot to the Women’s Premier League game. 

The ceremony was available on the red button and iPlayer. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Turns out, Qatar moved the start time of the ceremony just a few weeks ago, by which point the BBC had already committed the slot to the Women’s Premier League game. 

The ceremony was available on the red button and iPlayer. 

Yes of course that's the reason! 

1 hour ago, ben_dcfc said:

Doesn't matter if the ball goes forward or backwards. Happened in that spurs champions league game the other week, Eric Dier thought that was a rule too. As long as the offside player is ahead of the ball then it doesn't matter if the ball goes backwards. 

I could have sworn I posted it went up in the air ?

1 hour ago, David said:

Oh I don't doubt that's the claim, Lineker covering himself and the corporation that pays him millions a year, including to go and stay in a 6 star Qatar Hotel for a month.

But it's drivel. It's very much Lineker and the BBC making a point and not letting the people watch the ceremony. Yes, those technically minded might have been able to stream it. I note Lineker doesn't feel strongly enough to make a stand and decide not to go and not to take the (vast amounts of money). For all of these people it's do as I say, as long as I make sure I'm all right jack. 

42 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oh I don't doubt that's the claim, Lineker covering himself and the corporation that pays him millions a year, including to go and stay in a 6 star Qatar Hotel for a month.

But it's drivel. It's very much Lineker and the BBC making a point and not letting the people watch the ceremony. Yes, those technically minded might have been able to stream it. I note Lineker doesn't feel strongly enough to make a stand and decide not to go and not to take the (vast amounts of money). For all of these people it's do as I say, as long as I make sure I'm all right jack. 

"Technically minded" lol!

I assumed they were broadcasting from a studio in the UK. I'm expecting a post soon on how the BBC are the real enemy and the Quatari Royal family are the good guys. 

Has anyone even ever watched a World Cup opening ceremony before?

44 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

29c forecast for the England v Iran kick off tomorrow which should presumably favour Iran. 

Thankfully the next 2 fixtures are later in the day. But this world cup is more compressed in terms of timescales so I expect our squad to be flagging badly by the knockout stages. 

Predictions for England. 3 dull games as the oppo park the bus, then same in 2nd round. People apoplectic that we aren't destroying sides like USA and Ecuador.

We'll then play well vs good teams in the QFs, and beyond if we manage to win more tight games.

If things go our way and we manage to actually win the thing, the nation will explode with pride. Southgate will be loved by everyone for evermore.

If we do lose a game, even on pens, people will never stop going on about why we lost tactically, or why a certain sub wasn't brought on, or why a certain player should have been in the squad, or how there is some deep flaw in us as a nation, or why a different manager should have been in charge etc etc when it just bascially came down to a missed chance or an individual error that happens often in any game.

43 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

To be fair, I did look and they moved the game day back in August so that part is true.

BBC show one WSL game per week, which looking ahead is usually on a Sunday as they have games on 4th and 11th December.

I don’t doubt that the game was probably selected back in the summer with only 12 teams in the league, Chelsea v Spurs being a local Derby you can understand why it was picked.

Could they have moved the WSL game to BBC 2, maybe, however the women’s game is being given a huge push now and I’m sure the BBC wanted to keep the exposure by keeping the game on the flagship channel.

Where I think the BBC are at fault is the communication, I didn’t watch the WSL game but led to believe there was no mention of the opening ceremony being available on iPlayer, red button or BBC website. 

Loads, including myself just assumed they had boycott the ceremony, not that I was particularly bothered about watching it.

There is an argument to be made where, what if it was in say Italy for example would the ceremony have been shown, possibly, although that would be down to better planning and not changing things at short notice which FIFA/Qatar have done with both fixtures and alcohol. 

12 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I assumed they were broadcasting from a studio in the UK.

Oh no no no, after announcing a merging of BBC services to save money, Lineker, Shearer, Scott and co have all been flown to sit in a studio outside the stadium on the TV licence payers money. 

They could absolutely not have done this from a studio in the UK. 

Commentators in the stadium, yes, even the reporters that attend training camps to interview players, fine, but pundits in the studio, I just don’t get. 

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I think it depends on who the ball comes off in the tangle between the Qatar keeper, Qatar defender and Ecuador attacker.

If it did come off the Ecuador player then offside was the correct decision by a toe.

image.thumb.png.bd2f952dd1c7f0b6be743a04b616efb2.png

Who is offside in this picture?! This is the point at which the ball was touched by the player

When the Free Kick was delivered into the box  - no one was offside. 

29 minutes ago, David said:

Oh no no no, after announcing a merging of BBC services to save money, Lineker, Shearer, Scott and co have all been flown to sit in a studio outside the stadium on the TV licence payers money. 

They could absolutely not have done this from a studio in the UK. 

Commentators in the stadium, yes, even the reporters that attend training camps to interview players, fine, but pundits in the studio, I just don’t get. 

I’d say it’s to give the viewer a sense of being there. 

6 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Who is offside in this picture?! This is the point at which the ball was touched by the player

When the Free Kick was delivered into the box  - no one was offside. 

The player sticking his right foot behind the keeper. It left just one player between his big toe and the goal. Stupid I know, but thems the rules.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Our ire should be directed at the people who made the decision to award Qatar the World Cup. Like politics, the people who make all the decisions in this world are rarely challenged on them, they always manage to turn it into a debate amongst the lower orders while they sit back and rub their hands counting the money.

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Our ire should be directed at the people who made the decision to award Qatar the World Cup. Like politics, the people who make all the decisions in this world are rarely challenged on them, they always manage to turn it into a debate amongst the lower orders while they sit back and rub their hands counting the money.

"Don't worry about the 6 thousand dead migrant workers, they'll get distracted by arguing about whether the bbc made it easy enough to watch the opening ceremony."

"But no one ever bothers with the opening ceremony anyway?"

"Exactly! Now lets go and jail some gays."