Rams v Coventry Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

39 minutes ago, jono said:

True, but something has happened to Tommo. He was always front foot. But now he’s taking the safe pass back option a tad too often. That never seemed to his style. In doing so he has lost some of his industrious engine room effectiveness.

He's not been the same since he was clattered by Grabban in the forest game.

Edited by DavesaRam

Unlucky today, think we all thought Sibley had won it gutting to see it hit the post. On chances you say a draw was fair but thought we created far more threatening situations than Cov, not to mention the other penalties we should’ve had. Thought we were unlucky to be coming in 1-0, think that contributed to the chances they had second half as we were throwing bodies forward.

Stand outs for me today were Bird and Ebiowei, good performances from Byrne Cashin Allsop and solid from Buchanan and Bielik. Lawrence was up and down today but had good moments, Ravel started well but faded out of the game completely. Davies probably had his worst game in a while.

Even with Reading’s win today this is far from over but we need to start turning some of these performances into wins.

1 hour ago, MickD said:

Reading score, all over?

This is where my head is at now (not heart). I’ve been there in the dark times of the old third division and sadly, that is effectively where I think we are heading now. Third tier. Been going since 1966, but I don’t remember feeling this disconsolate about a team’s demise. Partly due to the tricks that time plays with your mind - and partly due to the sense of camaraderie there seems to be between players/coaches and the fans. They did their best and I for one feel proud to have witnessed this, but it was always going to be a miracle fir us to pull off - and that was before the EFL stepped in to keep us behind the 8 ball. Empty now and just so sad for everyone connected with the club. Thanks for everything, Mel.  I was well and truly kippered…..

39 minutes ago, RedSox said:

This is where my head is at now (not heart). I’ve been there in the dark times of the old third division and sadly, that is effectively where I think we are heading now. Third tier. Been going since 1966, but I don’t remember feeling this disconsolate about a team’s demise. Partly due to the tricks that time plays with your mind - and partly due to the sense of camaraderie there seems to be between players/coaches and the fans. They did their best and I for one feel proud to have witnessed this, but it was always going to be a miracle fir us to pull off - and that was before the EFL stepped in to keep us behind the 8 ball. Empty now and just so sad for everyone connected with the club. Thanks for everything, Mel.  I was well and truly kippered…..

We will raise again trust me on that one.

Well we had one of those events where we will always be able to remember where we were when it happened. The say Derby were awarded a penalty! Yes, I know, we got one against Bournemouth, but I missed that one because I had been thrown out of the ground! But that's another story!

It was actually a good game of football today, with both sides playing openly. I haven't seen the stats, but for saying we are struggling up front, we seemed to have had a lot of attempts on goal.

Coventry did give us a few scares, although most of those were second half, but yet again our fears, nay expectations about the ref were sadly grounded in reality, and experience! I think Ebiole was clattered 4 or 5 times, with hardly any protection from Mr Bond - maybe his attempt for a penalty in the first half came from him thinking he's not going to give anything for real fouls, lets see what he does if I make one up. He was lucky to not be booked, although Coventry should have been down to ten men, and had two penalties against them, not just the one. And having seen a Sky replay of the penalty, it wasn't a soft one at all. There were actually two fouls, one a slight trip, and then he was absolutely clattered as the defender rammed his hip into Tom's side. Absolutely no doubt that it was a penalty.

We could have got more out of the match, had the ball fallen a little nicer for us, but we've had our match where that happens already. Also there were two occasions in the first half when both Max Bird and then Tom Lawrence chose not to run through into the box. If they had done, they would have been clean through onto a lovely through ball. Such a shame they didn't gamble.

There was a muted response at the end of the match, and a rather sombre walk out of the ground, in contrast to the last few matches, as many of us were thinking its all over. Actually it isn't - we just need a couple of results to go for us, while we take whatever chances come our way. But it is a very tall order. All the more reason to stick behind the lads.

COME ON YOU RAMS!!!

Edited by DavesaRam

1 hour ago, RedSox said:

That's pretty much how I feel too. Remember the last time we were in the third tier. We had one bang average season then got promoted the season after. Think this time around it won't be such a swift return. If we still have a football team to support.

Edited by Sheff Ram

4 hours ago, JfR said:

The penalty was quite soft, and I'd not have been too up in arms if it hadn't been given (the Buchanan one was far more obvious, as have been the other ones we've not had in recent games), but it's such a false equivalent that Coventry fans are comparing it to the one Godden got a ban for.
Lawrence did have his trailing foot clipped by O'Hare, and Sheaf did step across him and fail to get a touch on the ball. Enough for a penalty? Maybe not, but there is contact.
Image.png.54f6efabb004defb48f030c77241905b.png
The one Godden got banned for, he wasn't touched at all by the Fulham defender:

Watching on the telly, Lawrence gets the defender to commit to the challenge, he makes contact with Lawrence at the knee, Lawrence goes down (and has a right to!). To me, it’s clumsy defending and the defender is playing a risk once he commits.

Dumb defending shouldn’t be rewarded!

9 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

That's pretty much how I feel too. Remember the last time we were in the third tier. We had one bang average season then got promoted the season after. Think this time around it won't be such a swift return. If we still have a football team to support.

I’m ok with tier 3 ; Que sera sera.. what I am not ok with is tier 3 with a minus 15 starting point which is where we are heading. “Fair play” .. yes sure it is after 2 years of embargo and 21 points of deductions .. no it isn’t fair play. Disproportionate, wrong and not sporting. Al driven by pompous shi**y little money men without an ounce of integrity looking after themselves whilst devoid of courage, decency or an understanding of sport and fair play. 

1 hour ago, RedSox said:

I think you are right about the feeling of sadness. Not giving up until mathematically impossible on the pitch but whatever happens it seems very unlikely at this late stage to keep this team and the coaches together which is really really sad as everyone is invested in them and their fight and it would have been great to see them mature in Rams shirts. 

11 minutes ago, jono said:

I’m ok with tier 3 ; Que sera sera.. what I am not ok with is tier 3 with a minus 15 starting point which is where we are heading. “Fair play” .. yes sure it is after 2 years of embargo and 21 points of deductions .. no it isn’t fair play. Disproportionate, wrong and not sporting. Al driven by pompous shi**y little money men without an ounce of integrity looking after themselves whilst devoid of courage, decency or an understanding of sport and fair play. 

You missed out -15 with no players but otherwise spot on

Anyway, rant about the EFL aside.

if we weren’t where we were, that was a good game of football. I think we did enough to nick it but luck of the bounce and another sub par official denied us.

Good start up top, multiple early doors corners, looked dangerous but at the back we looked a bit sloppy. Gave as good as got, fine goal from them and we lost rhythm and possession. Recovered as the game moved on, deserved penalty.. They used width well and marked us hard in the attacking half but we were if anything, the more creative

Malcolm is a pleasure to watch, great feet. Cashin would be a god if he was 6” taller. Buchanan played well.

Magic moments: lovely flick between his own feet from Bielik on the centre circle , Malcolm’s nutmeg and saved free kick, goal line runs, that boy flows ! , Cashins powerful curl round his legs tackle - 100% control and strength, Allsops 1v1 

Think we’ve gone now in all honesty but we have pride and self respect to fight for -  it isn’t over until we mathematically can’t 

Up the rams ?

9 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Has he given up the fight to stay up then? Surely regardless you have to play your best team…

This team was going down a long time ago.  It's just a shame it's taken some fans so long to accept it.  Rooney is doing the right thing. 

2 hours ago, Sheff Ram said:

We will have a football team to support.

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

What are you on about? Would you feel better if he donned some sackcloth and ashes!

I think you've misinterpreted my post. I wasn't being sarcastic. I was simply stating the look on his face, he genuinely seems subdued as you would expect after the results today.