The Ukraine War

Day

Russia will overwhelm Ukraine eventually, probably annexe donbass eventually and then withdraw after putting some pro Russian puppet government in kyiv, probably with the long term goal of incorporating them into the union with Belarus. 

I don't believe Putin really feels threatened by NATO as a threat to the Russian Federation. He is upset that NATO and the EU have increased their influence to the east, including many areas Russia would consider as part of 'Greater Russia,' parts that had decades/centuries of Russian influence under the ussr and Russian Empire. He doesn't view Ukraine as a real country and believes in Russia's right to dictate to the other former soviet republics how to conduct their affairs. 

As far as I'm concerned this war is for territorial expansion and a partial restoration of the Russian empire. 

I can't imagine what happens once the ceasefire is called. 

Certainly can't see Donetsk and Luhansk being part of Ukraine. Will NATO recognise their independence? Surely that will be the first of the demands from Putin. 

But what happens in Europe, in Ukraine and especially in Russia I wouldn't even like to guess. 

What happens to Zelensky? Allegedly worked against Biden, accused of censorship, losing popularity in Ukraine, called a Nazi by Putin. Sounds to me like he'll get a nice London crib

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I can't imagine what happens once the ceasefire is called. 

Certainly can't see Donetsk and Luhansk being part of Ukraine. Will NATO recognise their independence? Surely that will be the first of the demands from Putin. 

But what happens in Europe, in Ukraine and especially in Russia I wouldn't even like to guess. 

What happens to Zelensky? Allegedly worked against Biden, accused of censorship, losing popularity in Ukraine, called a Nazi by Putin. Sounds to me like he'll get a nice London crib

I assume you meant the UN. As Ukraine aren’t part of NATO I don’t think it’s up to NATO to recognise their independence or not.

43 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I assume you meant the UN. As Ukraine aren’t part of NATO I don’t think it’s up to NATO to recognise their independence or not.

Yeah,

And surely they will? With Vlads army sat in Kiev

"If anyone of us was facing hostile forces known to practice torture"

Unnecessary. You could say that about USA, UK, Germany, France, Ukraine... 

I think its really really easy to feel sorry for Ukranians without trying to make it good vs evil, no? 

How many of those Russian forces would rather be at home? 

7 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It's because he's clearly gay in a very homophobic society.

It's like he wants to beat it out of himself through legislation, so creates the homophobic environment as a form of self control.

17 hours ago, Alpha said:

How do people feel about the call to Arms to Ukranian civilians? 

I was trying to gauge that with my 19 YO niece. Saying can you imagine receiving a message from your government “if you want a gun, come and get one” It really is a huge pause for thought when moments ago you could be wonder how well Dynamo Kiev for getting on in the group stages of the CL. … All while sitting in the queue at Sainsburies Kingsway. It’s surreal and chilling at the same time. 

19 minutes ago, jono said:

trades union funding 40 years ago ? 

Yes that dreadful invasion of a foreign country by the army of the TUC.

Forgot about the AEU tank corps, the divisions of  NUT missle carriers, supported by the NUM rifle regiment, that swept across that country killing innocent civilians.

Glad you reminded me of that.

26 minutes ago, jono said:

I was trying to gauge that with my 19 YO niece. Saying can you imagine receiving a message from your government “if you want a gun, come and get one” It really is a huge pause for thought when moments ago you could be wonder how well Dynamo Kiev for getting on in the group stages of the CL. … All while sitting in the queue at Sainsburies Kingsway. It’s surreal and chilling at the same time. 

And now the call for anybody to join their forces. From any country.

I don't know whether it's one of those inspiring moments in history where civilians of the world fought for for freedom

Or if it's a war we don't truly see from all angles and it's totally irresponsible to ask civilians to make molotov cocktails and come to Ukraine to collect your AK47. 

I did some reading on this Azov Battalion in Ukraine. Wow. 

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Forgot about the AEU tank corps, the divisions of  NUT missle carriers, supported by the NUM rifle regiment, that swept across that country killing innocent civilians.

I’m sorry I thought you were discussing power groups receiving funding from Russia. 

10 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Trying to blame the Tories for Russia invading the Ukraine is bizarre.

Edited by cstand

Don't get the thread closed, gents!

I think its best just to keep it to the specific Ukraine war. Even though there's definite room for debate on western hypocrites and politics I don't think there's room for it on this forum. 

I don't know where on the Internet is a safe place to discuss the war. Twitter is so full of morons trying to collect "likes" and trolls trying to be cool. That this forum is at least the chance to discuss this huge world changing event.