The Ukraine War

Day

Crazy times. But how many times has the 30something generation has to say that? 
I heard on LBC that Russia have an insane about of gold, then tie in the natural resources they have and how embedded the European, particularly the British financial system is Russian money, what can governments actually do without doing over their own citizens massively. In our case its not like the PM has a lot of political capital to shield him from another increase in the cost of living. 
I guess lets just hope as few innocent people are killed / displaced as possible. Start there and see what mess awaits. ? 

My suspicion is that Putin is doing this to indicate how inept NATO would be at actually doing anything of any force should Ukraine join.  Ideally, the paperwork would be fast tracked, Ukraine join today and that gives facility to deploy troops into Ukraine as peacekeepers.  I'm afraid if all that happens is Britain stops Russian billionaires buying property in London and Germany gives them some helmets he can step back from this in a few days with point proven.  

I also firmly believe that this doesn't happen if America have any solid leadership what so ever.  Whenever I see Biden it's almost excruciating.  I'm literally waiting for him to stop reading his autocue and just wonder off randomly to the toilet 

Quick note to say good move and wise judgement in the change of policy and allowing discussion on this momentous event in our times which is history as much as politics. 

42 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My suspicion is that Putin is doing this to indicate how inept NATO would be at actually doing anything of any force should Ukraine join.  Ideally, the paperwork would be fast tracked, Ukraine join today and that gives facility to deploy troops into Ukraine as peacekeepers.  I'm afraid if all that happens is Britain stops Russian billionaires buying property in London and Germany gives them some helmets he can step back from this in a few days with point proven.  

I also firmly believe that this doesn't happen if America have any solid leadership what so ever.  Whenever I see Biden it's almost excruciating.  I'm literally waiting for him to stop reading his autocue and just wonder off randomly to the toilet 

Not sure his point would be proven given the relatively poor progress from the Russians against stiff Ukrainian resistance. The Russian army at the moment doesn't seem particularly well equipped to deal with an urban warfare scenario or an invasion such as this. If anything atm it's making Russia look weaker than before. 

1 hour ago, ScubaRam said:

Crazy times. But how many times has the 30something generation has to say that? 
I heard on LBC that Russia have an insane about of gold, then tie in the natural resources they have and how embedded the European, particularly the British financial system is Russian money, what can governments actually do without doing over their own citizens massively. In our case its not like the PM has a lot of political capital to shield him from another increase in the cost of living. 
I guess lets just hope as few innocent people are killed / displaced as possible. Start there and see what mess awaits. ? 

If you read analyses of Russian strategic reserves (which are pretty low atm)  and the struggles that their economy will face such as a crumbling rouble and mass sanctions it's going to be worse for Putin than for us I think. 

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

Not sure his point would be proven given the relatively poor progress from the Russians against stiff Ukrainian resistance. The Russian army at the moment doesn't seem particularly well equipped to deal with an urban warfare scenario or an invasion such as this. If anything atm it's making Russia look weaker than before. 

I'm afraid he'll be utilising the necessary level of armed enforcement to deal with a situation as it arises.  If he needs more feet on the ground to push back any resistance he will.  

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm afraid he'll be utilising the necessary level of armed enforcement to deal with a situation as it arises.  If he needs more feet on the ground to push back any resistance he will.  

It's hard to assess the depths of Russian strength fully but what can be assessed is materials, equipment, and tactics. The fact they don't even have control of the Ukrainian skies is hardly a good sign. As David Petraeus said last night this was not shock and awe and the advance has been stuttering. This will only increase as supply lines get stretched and they face a bedded in resistance movement. I don't think this is going to be as easy for the Russians as either they or others anticipated. I did also read an analysis that basically said the tactical approach from the Russians is not so far being supplemented by sufficient armour, weapons, or manpower. 

Today a fighter jet flew over me. I must admit that it felt different this time knowing the next one could be one from our neighbours. We have had warnings from Russia today not to consider joining into NATO.  This can escalate pretty quick now.