Things that annoy me that should annoy me

sage

I hate fake grass. It's poor for the environment and contains toxic chemicals not to mention the impact it has on our ever dwindling numbers of insects and birds. When it wears out which at some point it will it can't be recycled and will just add to the landfill. My heart sinks every time I see somebody ripping out nature and replacing it with fake. I hate it!

13 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

I hate fake grass. It's poor for the environment and contains toxic chemicals not to mention the impact it has on our ever dwindling numbers of insects and birds. When it wears out which at some point it will it can't be recycled and will just add to the landfill. My heart sinks every time I see somebody ripping out nature and replacing it with fake. I hate it!

House two doors down has been sold and there getting ready to rent it out.. everything in the garden gone and replaced with stones and fake grass that's 3 metres by 3 metres.  It could be mowed in seconds.  I appreciate their may be the very odd occasion where someone's disabled and has no one to do it but that would be rare. family member, neighbour, ability to fund a gardener every couple of weeks to whip over it.  etc.  Sad thing is, I can see a situation where local authority start doing this to save money.  Round may way it's done every few months, butchered and dying as it is. 

58 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

House two doors down has been sold and there getting ready to rent it out.. everything in the garden gone and replaced with stones and fake grass that's 3 metres by 3 metres.  It could be mowed in seconds.  I appreciate their may be the very odd occasion where someone's disabled and has no one to do it but that would be rare. family member, neighbour, ability to fund a gardener every couple of weeks to whip over it.  etc.  Sad thing is, I can see a situation where local authority start doing this to save money.  Round may way it's done every few months, butchered and dying as it is. 

Have you seen a garden with plastic flowers? Absolutely awful and so sad to see. We report on sightings of butterflies in Derbyshire and the consensus is that this year has been dire for butterflies. Plastic flowers don't help. I wish some people would realise how vital even the smallest piece of earth is  to so many creatures. Insect numbers have declined so much in the last 30 and this has a knock on effect on so many creatures. 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

It annoys me that the first casualty of a dry summer is the gardener. Ooh, look at him watering his plants.

Meanwhile, paddling pools and hot tubs are full to the brim.

Not watering gardens has a massive impact on the creatures that inhabit them.

Nobody has said you can't water plants. Pisses me off to see sprinklers on lawns when I walk round where I live.

I've got a hot tub. The water has been in it since winter and I need no more than a bucketful every couple of months to keep it topped up.

I don't have a paddling pool but I would assume that they are emptied onto the garden anyway.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Nobody has said you can't water plants. Pisses me off to see sprinklers on lawns when I walk round where I live.

I've got a hot tub. The water has been in it since winter and I need no more than a bucketful every couple of months to keep it topped up.

I don't have a paddling pool but I would assume that they are emptied onto the garden anyway.

Annoys me more that we have a water meter so have to watch our use of every damn cup of water whereas those on water rates spray the damn stuff everywhere without a care in the world - that and the ridiculous number of leaks that the water companies bleat on about fixing but don't address properly via proactive maintenance....

On 02/02/2022 at 16:06, Tyler Durden said:

Being called either mate, love, duck, duckie, dear, boss, chief, squire, bro or dude. 

Similar...

But on twitter everyone replying to every boxers tweet with "champ" at the end. And most the time said boxer has never been champ. I just find it cringe that someone would meet a boxer they don't know and kick arse enough to call them champ

20 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Annoys me more that we have a water meter so have to watch our use of every damn cup of water whereas those on water rates spray the damn stuff everywhere without a care in the world - that and the ridiculous number of leaks that the water companies bleat on about fixing but don't address properly via proactive maintenance....

I was on water rates a few years back, Seven Trent put a water meter in FOC, My bills came down by a quarter as being single

42 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I was on water rates a few years back, Seven Trent put a water meter in FOC, My bills came down by a quarter as being single

I can support your point. My wive and I live in a large house and yet our water bill is significantly lower than my dad’s even though he lives on his own in a bungalow. The reason for the difference? We’re on a water meter (we’re sensible but not miserly with our water usage. The dishwasher still goes on every day) but my dad isn’t. Well, he wasn’t but he is now.

59 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I agree it's a lot cheaper for singles or couples (particularly if they have a larger property in a nicer area), but that's countered by big families (or selfish gits that want a lovely green lawn) using a lot more - never understood why the water companies have not pushed for everyone to have a water meter fiited - they wouldn't need to threaten us with hosepipe bans if everyone wwas already being careful about how much they used....

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I can support your point. My wive and I live in a large house and yet our water bill is significantly lower than my dad’s even though he lives on his own in a bungalow. The reason for the difference? We’re on a water meter (we’re sensible but not miserly with our water usage. The dishwasher still goes on every day) but my dad isn’t. Well, he wasn’t but he is now.

I'm in a bungalow too, I should have said my bill came down to a Quarter of what it was...not down by a quarter, A few years back I watched a programme about the American mid west and how their water was slowly being used up, This area had an Aquifer that was being used by all the farmers, Eventually the water had gone over those decades.

The town is now no more, People left as the water vanished, Since then I have tried to be careful with the water I use, Every little helps I guess ?‍♀️

Recently arranged a visit from STWA for my parents regarding a water meter, couldn't fit one for a couple of reasons so no joy with that but what they did do was put them on a lower tariff which saves them around £60 a year, not as much as a meter would (according to their online calculations) but still a bonus. I think too that if you have one fitted and it costs you more then you have the option to swap back to previous rates within 24 months.

I have have fake grass and half Indian sand stone. ( think of the carbon foot print in getting that here)

I don’t have a problem with insects of butterflies etc in our garden as her indoors has plenty of flowers etc, and a large budlia *spellcheck* that attracts lots of flying insects, even bats at night.

As for the rest of the grass insects, they can go next door. The amount of fossil fuels I’ve not burnt in cutting the grass and taking to the tip, plus weed killers etc will allow me to sleep quiet easy in my bed.

If you like real grass, good for you. Enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I have have fake grass and half Indian sand stone. ( think of the carbon foot print in getting that here)

I don’t have a problem with insects of butterflies etc in our garden as her indoors has plenty of flowers etc, and a large budlia *spellcheck* that attracts lots of flying insects, even bats at night.

As for the rest of the grass insects, they can go next door. The amount of fossil fuels I’ve not burnt in cutting the grass and taking to the tip, plus weed killers etc will allow me to sleep quiet easy in my bed.

If you like real grass, good for you. Enjoy it. 

^^^THIS^^^

*As long as you substitute @Boycie's sand stone for my 4" thick patterned concrete... oh, and I replaced about 40m of 6ft privet with wooden fence panels too.

I haven't mowed, trimmed, or dumped at the tip for 9 years!  Score!  ?