Pragmatic Solutions wanted

IslandExile

So, no one is shifting but the government underling representing the Department of Culture, Media and Sport has suggested everyone works to find a pragmatic solution. So I thought we could all offer ours - please not just telling Gibson that's he's a right bamford and should duck off. We all know that but he won't, so we need something that will work:

1. to save the club
  2. hopefully in time to keep our players and manager to give them a shot at pulling off the "great escape"

So, here is my suggestion to kick things off.

----

• Gibson, Wycombe and the EFL will not backdown - they need to save face.
  • None of the potential buyers are willing to take on the club while there is the risk of payouts of unknown dimensions

--> Impasse

(Aside and first up, I do not want to give Gibson a penny but we have to be practical remember)

So....

• We agree to go to arbitration to settle the Boro and Wycombe "claims"
  • However, so that we can complete the takeover promptly, all three clubs agree a maximum amount of "winnings" (we can win costs). I don't know an amount, say 5 or 10 million in each case.
  • That gives certainty to prospective buyers of the club. If Derby were to lose at tribunal (who knows, I don't) then at least the buyers would know the maximum that they would have to shell out. They can then decide on that basis whether they're in or out regards bidding for the club.
  • We can all move forward. Hallelujah
Edited by angieram
Spelling

Arbitration, then sell assets to recover fees and cut costs so the season can be survived.  

If as people suggest, neither have a claim, Boro and Wycombe get nothing, and the new owner takes over in the summer.  

L1 and a football club is better than fighting to stay up and no club. 

Options to resolve the impasse:

WW and Boro withdraw - political pressure, bad PR for their club, sponsor pressure, fan attitudes.

EFL change stance on these claims - unlikely

Administrators agree a price to settle, blackmail has won. Buyers may still regard the price too high and walk away.

Administrators move to have debts restructure by court order, at least 25 point deduction possibly expelled from the league.

Ultimately, we need someone to pay them off, or, win enough hearts and minds that the two malicious actors withdraw to save face. 

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Good post, you beat me to it. I don’t currently have a solution. If their case is tested I would hope it will be thrown out but how long will the process take? One option would be for the EFL to extend their deadline by a month for us to provide proof of funds. Not sure how this will pan out……

I think an extension to show proof of funds will likely happen.  But I think Q probably need to take some action evidencing they are doing their best to do so, not just sitting and hoping it all falls into place... 

I suspect the solution will be either EFL update their rules under pressure from MP's and the Admins go down their proposed exit plan (not sure whether this would prevent Boro and Wycombe bringing the claims again post admin) or a sum in full and final settlement is agreed between prospective new owners and the claimants.

However we as fans may feel about it, in most cases there's an amount that makes business sense to all parties to make the matter go away and money changes hands.

2 minutes ago, SBW said:

Arbitration, then sell assets to recover fees and cut costs so the season can be survived.  

If as people suggest, neither have a claim, Boro and Wycombe get nothing, and the new owner takes over in the summer.  

L1 and a football club is better than fighting to stay up and no club. 

With the derisory offers that are being made how do we make enough to cover the costs and have enough players to complete the season? Don’t forget this isn’t just being able to field a team for a few games, we have almost half a season to play and we have already had a lot of young players in the team and on the bench this season.

How many players can we sell before we’re into having to field some very young players? There has to be consideration of the fact that it’s an awful lot of games for them to have to cover, at a much higher intensity, when they are used to playing 20 something games a season in the youth leagues.

That’s before the fact that once players are sold we become even less attractive to buy, as no one will cover the debts if we have no assets, if the bidders go away due to this we’re done for anyway.

What will happen is that the administrators will sell off more players to give the money to the parasite clubs in exploitation money so they can then use towards their FFP we then have no players and no one wanting to purchase us because we have nothing to buy. 

2 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

With the derisory offers that are being made how do we make enough to cover the costs and have enough players to complete the season? Don’t forget this isn’t just being able to field a team for a few games, we have almost half a season to play and we have already had a lot of young players in the team and on the bench this season.

How many players can we sell before we’re into having to field some very young players? There has to be consideration of the fact that it’s an awful lot of games for them to have to cover, at a much higher intensity, when they are used to playing 20 something games a season in the youth leagues.

That’s before the fact that once players are sold we become even less attractive to buy, as no one will cover the debts if we have no assets, if the bidders go away due to this we’re done for anyway.

20 odd games with bare bones and survival, or liquidation?  I honestly don't see what the other solution is?  

Lawrence goes for 500k-1m and considering his wages are discussed as being between 25-37k per week, that's a combined income and saving of between 1.5m - 1.8m.  If it is £5m needed.  That's down to potentially £3.2-3.5m.

Who else is out of contract in the summer? Roos, Byrne... there are others.  Or if you can get it done in one hit with a Knight sale, then go for it.  Although ideally sell the out of contract players and make the money/savings that way, so the big assets can be sold under stronger terms when a PB is named.  

The EFL know we have three potential buyers, they've seen evidence of this.

They don't need to see proof of funds on Feb 1st - they made that deadline up, drop it.

Facilitate a quick arbitration process? Update their Insolvency rules to be inline with the law and allow 'cross cramming' (or whatever it is).

There are probably a fair few other ways the EFL could be flexible.