The Administration Thread

Boycie

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

He also knows how to get a club relegated. Without the assistance of a hefty points deduction. Also proven. 

I mean honestly, he won't personally be running anything at dcfc. So who's he going to put in to do that job and will the plan bear any resemblance to Newcastle?

To my mind there's no more relevance than saying that Mel Morris is a business genius cos he knows a money making app when he sees one...... 

I'm not saying he would definitely be a disaster. But there should be a decent level of critical analysis applied to any deal, Ashley included. 

Mike Ashley started his business in 1982 at 18yrs old by taking a loan from his family to open his 1st sports shop in Maidenhead.  He's now the 61st richest business person in UK. I doubt he's done it all on his own. I can imagine that he has the power,money and conections to have the right people involved in working and running a football club. Certainly made more money than Mel, who is a few years older than Mike Ashley

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

He also knows how to get a club relegated. Without the assistance of a hefty points deduction. Also proven. 

I mean honestly, he won't personally be running anything at dcfc. So who's he going to put in to do that job and will the plan bear any resemblance to Newcastle?

To my mind there's no more relevance than saying that Mel Morris is a business genius cos he knows a money making app when he sees one...... 

I'm not saying he would definitely be a disaster. But there should be a decent level of critical analysis applied to any deal, Ashley included. 

True about the relegation thing, but he got them back up again and they never got into financial trouble.

The owner is the ultimate source of the culture at a club. They appoint the managers, set the structure with DoFs, academies or whatever. I think his record stands scrutiny. He won't have us spending silly money, but he gets that you have to fund signings or the club stagnates.

No guarantees, but on the scant evidence in the public domain, I'd say his record stands critical analysis in decent shape.

26 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Don't worry about it.

It seems I've offended everyone by saying that I wish we could get an owner other than Ashley.

But yes, I've supported Derby County for 54 years..... Of course I want them to survive, of course I want the best for them.

I do think a forum should be a place for discussing things - and for people to express different opinions. Someone accused me of being naive earlier. Perhaps I am... It seems you cannot offer an alternative view.

If it's Ashley that saves us, believe me I will be delighted that we still have our football club ?

Beggars can't be chooses

4 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

If it's Ashley or the club dies then obviously we go with Ashley. But I don't believe the situation is like that. I firmly believe we will have an owner. If that is the case, then I'd rather it not be Ashley. Newcastle fans have warned us. He may well get the club stable but then what? Years of mediocrity, awful player recruitment and managerial appointments.

So same as the last 15 years then?! 

41 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

Does anybody understand why Nixon is claiming the club cannot be sold until the Boro and Wycombe claims have been sorted

I have asked if Ashley wanted to risk to take them to court can he, I got no reply. He just simply says the admins wanted new owners to possibly take it on but now they need sorting before a SALE. I do wonder if the capital letters of sale is to cover us naming a preferred bidder before sorting them.

Edited by DCFC1388

This may be another controversial post but it's really only an observation - and one that others have already alluded to....

Very few people objected when Mel was splashing the cash. It was really only when the severity of the current situation became clear that the majority became annoyed that he wasn't more careful with the spending.

Before Mel, Maxwell and Pickering both put the club at risk by overspending then suddenly cutting the cash flow.

After the state Mel put us in, a lot of people voiced their support for a returning Appleby because they could see he would have a tight reign on expenses, and would run the club sustainably.

Now that Ashley is in the picture, and who has much more money than the Appleby consortium, everyone appears uber excited about having an owner that will once again "splash the cash".

Someone has pointed out that he does so as loans, so is able to pull that money back in if and when the club is sold to the next owner - or next goes into Administration. So, just be careful what you wish for.

EDIT to say: yes I'm perfectly aware of the good times we did have under Maxwell and Pickering before they cut the money supply. Yeah, ok, let's splash the cash ?

Edited by IslandExile

Ashley is hardly the devil especially when you consider some of the people or sovereign wealth funds that own football clubs these days the guy is basically a saint. I'm not even necessarily against 0 hour contracts as a tool for some people they can be useful. I think he'd be a pretty ideal buyer for us having run a club before and been relatively successful that's a big plus for us. 

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

This may be another controversial post but it's really only an observation - and one that others have already alluded to....

Very few people objected when Mel was splashing the cash. It was really only when the severity of the current situation became clear that the majority became annoyed that he wasn't more careful with the spending.

Before Mel, Maxwell and Pickering both put the club at risk by overspending then suddenly cutting the cash flow.

After the state Mel put us in, a lot of people voiced their support for a returning Appleby because they could see he would have a tight reign on expenses, and would run the club sustainably.

Now that Ashley is in the picture, and who has much more money than the Appleby consortium, everyone appears uber excited about having an owner that will once again "splash the cash".

Someone has pointed out that he does so as loans, so is able to pull that money back in if and when the club is sold to the next owner - or next goes into Administration. So, just be careful what you wish for.

If you read articles from around the time he took over Newcastle, they were - on a larger scale - in a very similar position to us. 

The way Mike Ashley chose to stabilise them was by significant cost cutting. 

Some folks seem to think that he will stabilise Derby by astute investment. 

He has no track record of doing so.

Few beers in on a Friday night but bare with me, at this point I don’t care who comes in for us as long as someone does.

Appleby, Ashley or Andrea down the road. If they have the money come and get us. We aren’t really in a position to be picky! Get the short to midterm future sorted with a buyer and worry about it later! 

the future of OUR club is potentially at stake, Mike Ashley come and get us, duck what some sweaty geordies think. 

COYR, duck the efl and duck the Pube haired tw@!

ramslad1992 x

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

If you read articles from around the time he took over Newcastle, they were - on a larger scale - in a very similar position to us. 

Jagielka.... You're now on £2000 a week.

That kind of thing?

Or shut the academy?

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

But we are not in the same position as Newcastle were. They were a mid table Premier League side, they didn't need spending on players because they already had a solid base. 

In our case, with the right manager, and reasonable spending you can massively increase the value of this club, why cut spending - you still won't make a profit at Championship level like that, it wouldn't make sense to do. 

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Jagielka.... You're now on £2000 a week.

That kind of thing?

Or shut the academy?

The way it seems to have manifested itself at Newcastle was to reduce transfer budgets at a time when income from TV was increasing significantly so that the team slowly became less competitive. 

From 2005 it took them 14 years to sign anyone of the same price. 

Here...what would you do? Tell wassall his 6m budget is now 2m for the academy... Reduce non player costs, reduce player costs etc etc 

No more anyas. Or bradders... Definitely no more Bieliks. 

Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily, until you see the "need a proven goalscorer" type posts. 

11 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Similar position yes but not the same. They were in huge debt with significant cost cutting required. 

With the embargoes we have been in our cost cutting has been forced on us in the part 2 years and now admin has cut costs further so we have done that already. Ashley would be coming in knowing the debt, paying some of it as part of the purchase price & will be at a position to build the club back up within the financial parameters he decides (as well as any efl business plan)

Edited by DCFC1388

As was mentioned last year, Mike Ashley will want Sports Direct advertisements on a League 1 club for as short as time as possible. 

Hopefully, we stay in the Championship but it's a point worth considering. 

Ashley might not happen anyway but it's been an exciting evening of news. My fingers are well and truly crossed that it does and we can at last move on. 

Lets not get too excited, Ashley's £50m is probably £30 for the club and £20 for the stadium, the £30 from AA is probably for the club with the stadium "yet to be negotiated" so both bids are probably not a million miles apart, but divied up slightly differently, perhaps with Ashley having an upper hand of knowing how to bid just slightly more than the existing AA bid.

Still, either is better than shady Alonso or BZ-cheque in the post