Jeff Stelling leaving Soccer Saturday

Day

For me, the programme went downhill when they got rid of the old panel. I acknowledge they weren’t to everyone’s liking but I liked the camaraderie between them. They made the programme entertaining for me. 

If I have the programme on it’s without sound now until a report involving us comes on. Clinton Morrison’s accent boils my you-know-what and Sue Smith’s is like nails down a blackboard. 

I wonder if viewing figures have dropped and that’s been a factor in his decision. ?

The banter stuff was the beauty of the show, away from all the xG nonsense and computer screens showing positional footage from drones.

It was relatable, football with your mates and a laugh, but then they broke it up, got rid of the chemistry between host and pundits and replaced it with basically a nothing show, no banter, no insights.

At the time Jeff kicked off on Twitter so it’s no great surprise he’s leaving, I think Sky need to remember what made the show so popular, if they want a new image and go down the tactical boffins, get some in and not Tim Sherwood or Clinton Morrison that serve absolutely no purpose what so ever.

I used to really enjoy the show, a staple of my non Pride Park Saturdays.   I stopped watching a few weeks after they got rid of 'the old gang'.  Tony Pulis (before he got yet another management job), Tim Sherwood and Clinton Morrison just don't have the same appeal. 

The banter between the guys used to make the show, without that there was nothing to differentiate it from other shows.  Maybe another tv/radio programme will bring the gang back together next season - I'd watch/listen to that ? 

I think most programmes and people in roles have a shelf life. I like Stelling but the 'banter' from the rest was all a bit lame.  Dpn't recallan outrage when Dempsey, Marsh, McLintock, Allen, Brazil and McQueen were replaced.  

No surprise he's leaving.  I get change, heck, I work in change. It's simply not the attraction it was - I used to really enjoy the banter; a bit like talking about the game down the pub with your mates.  That's a key reason I watched it.  The fact Stelling moaned on Twitter after the others were binned off, and still references them on the show to this day says a lot to me.  The whole makeup of the show has gone now - I still periodically dip in, but nothing like I used to be.   I still like Merson, and Dawson is fairly good but that's it.   Everyone else is wooden, uninteresting and annoying.  

I think @Boycieprobably has it nailed on with his earlier comment, even if it was possibly tongue in cheek.  It's how Sky is these days - just please get the best person for the job (regardless of sex or colour). 

Either way, it'll be interesting to see who replaces him and whether Sky loses a large chunk of their Saturday afternoon audience. 

To be fair, I'm more concerned I may now have to spend more time with the family!

41 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

No surprise he's leaving.  I get change, heck, I work in change. It's simply not the attraction it was - I used to really enjoy the banter; a bit like talking about the game down the pub with your mates.  That's a key reason I watched it.  The fact Stelling moaned on Twitter after the others were binned off, and still references them on the show to this day says a lot to me.  The whole makeup of the show has gone now - I still periodically dip in, but nothing like I used to be.   I still like Merson, and Dawson is fairly good but that's it.   Everyone else is wooden, uninteresting and annoying.  

I think @Boycieprobably has it nailed on with his earlier comment, even if it was possibly tongue in cheek.  It's how Sky is these days - just please get the best person for the job (regardless of sex or colour). 

Either way, it'll be interesting to see who replaces him and whether Sky loses a large chunk of their Saturday afternoon audience. 

To be fair, I'm more concerned I may now have to spend more time with the family!

Imagine how worried they are ?