St Clod’s Day

BaaLocks

As a friend said to me over the weekend "Norwich are going to take your record this year" I wanted to suggest the initiation of St Claude's Day, the date on which no club can undertake (or equal) our points tally of eleven points. Named in honour of a player more symbolic of our lack of preparedness, ability, and commitment than any other (a statement of recognition in itself) in that 07/08 season the race is now on to predict on what day it will fall this season.

In previous years St Claude's Day has fallen on the following weekends, last season's Covid affected schedule aside it has only three times made it past New Years Day.

2020/21: 4th March (Sheffield United)

2019/20: 22nd December (Watford)

2018/19: 27th February (Huddersfield)

2017/18: 13th December (Swansea)

2016/17: 19th December (Sunderland)

2015/16: 18th January (Aston Villa)

2014/15: 29th December (Leicester)

2013/14: 26th December (Sunderland)

2012/13: 2nd January (QPR)

2011/12: 31st December (Blackburn)

2010/11: 27th November (Wolves and West Ham)

2009/10: 19th December (Portsmouth)

2008/9: 8th November (Spurs)

So, on what day will St Claude's Day fall on this year? I predict it will be the fourth time it has made it past New Years Day but I still think last week in February our record will be safe for one more season.

Edited by BaaLocks

32 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

As a friend said to me over the weekend "Norwich are going to take your record this year" I wanted to suggest the initiation of St Claude's Day, the date on which no club can undertake (or equal) our points tally of eleven points. Named in honour of a player more symbolic of our lack of preparedness, ability, and commitment than any other (a statement of recognition in itself) in that 07/08 season the race is now on to predict on what day it will fall this season.

In previous years St Claude's Day has fallen on the following weekends, last season's Covid affected schedule aside it has only three times made it past New Years Day.

2020/21: 4th March (Sheffield United)

2019/20: 22nd December (Watford)

2018/19: 27th February (Huddersfield)

2017/18: 13th December (Swansea)

2016/17: 19th December (Sunderland)

2015/16: 18th January (Aston Villa)

2014/15: 29th December (Leicester)

2013/14: 26th December (Sunderland)

2012/13: 2nd January (QPR)

2011/12: 31st December (Blackburn)

2010/11: 27th November (Wolves and West Ham)

2009/10: 19th December (Portsmouth)

2008/9: 8th November (Spurs)

So, on what day will St Claude's Day fall on this year? I predict it will be the fourth time it has made it past New Years Day but I still think last week in February our record will be safe for one more season.

Well Norwich have already achieved something we never did that year , conceding seven.

I think they'll take the record.

Pukki is a proper handful in the championship and he has got them promoted twice but reliance on his goals and not recruiting a decent premier league goal scorer saw them relegated straight way. They'll get relegated again obviously but now prem defences, who kept him down to 11 last time round, will shackle him even more this season. The Canaries will not score enough goals to win games. They are picking up their points from 0-0 draws against the teams at the bottom. They will struggle to get points off Newcastle who have been easy pickings for everyone else but they have to go there at the end of November and by the time they play the reverse fixture in April the Toon Army think they will have Mbappe on the wing so I don't see much return there.

Futhermore the model of a yo yo club, which is clearly the model pursued by Norwich, does not allow for flamboyant spending for fear of falling foul of Championship FFP rules. Norwich's owners will already be looking at how to maximise profits from parachute payments and spunking a wad on a lost cause is not sensible. I think they'll be working pretty much with what they've got for the season and as such will take the record from us.

Edited by 24Charlie

Surely, the principle behind yoyo clubs is that they spend a little bit of their cash bonanza each time they get into the Premier, making themselves that little bit stronger, until they get to the stage whereby they are capable of consolidating their promotion one season, without having to break the bank. I would have thought that by now the likes of Norwich, Fulham and WBA should be close to this position.

2 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

I think they'll take the record.

Pukki is a proper handful in the championship and he has got them promoted twice but reliance on his goals and not recruiting a decent premier league goal scorer saw them relegated straight way. They'll get relegated again obviously but now prem defences, who kept him down to 11 last time round, will shackle him even more this season. The Canaries will not score enough goals to win games. They are picking up their points from 0-0 draws against the teams at the bottom. They will struggle to get points off Newcastle who have been easy pickings for everyone else but they have to go there at the end of November and by the time they play the reverse fixture in April the Toon Army think they will have Mbappe on the wing so I don't see much return there.

Futhermore the model of a yo yo club, which is clearly the model pursued by Norwich, does not allow for flamboyant spending for fear of falling foul of Championship FFP rules. Norwich's owners will already be looking at how to maximise profits from parachute payments and spunking a wad on a lost cause is not sensible. I think they'll be working pretty much with what they've got for the season and as such will take the record from us.

They could have Messi upfront but with that service, they're never going to score.

Their next game aside, I reckon they could only be on 4 points come NYE, but surely they have to fluke a win somewhere by then?  So let's say 6?

They have Palace, Burnley & Newcastle all at home in 2022.  They really should be looking for 5 points there.

I reckon then, that this whole thread relies on the result of their very next game... The Dirties at home, on Hallows Eve!

Win that, and they'll not be taking our record!

They will get relegated...all part of the Burnley Blueprint...but will easily pass our record low..

Grab the silly money.. go down with silly money..get promoted as the playing field is not so much level as off a cliff..rinse repeat until you feel you have enough money..

Edited by Yani P

Every year we get further from that season, the more we forget just how unique it was. It can never and will never be beaten. It was the perfect storm.

Horrendous recruitment left us League One quality players, who subsequently began to give up after 3 games.

A manager who didn't want to be there from the start of the season and who sowed discontent in the dressing room immediately after Wembley.

Then throw in possibly the worst managerial decision change ever in Paul Jewell who was so inept, so poor, so clueless, he regretted the job about 2 minutes after taking it.

This all takes place in one of the strongest Premier Leagues ever with Ronaldo, Torres, Van Persie, Adebayor, Drogba, Lampard, Gerrard, Anelka, Santa Cruz, Berbatov, Benjani, Yakubu (and the list goes on) all playing at a world class level. And that's just to name who was an attacking threat. The list of world class defenders that season is just as long.

And finally, just a pinch of some really horrendous luck. I mean to be honest, we didn't fluke anything. There were definitely points we dropped that we were unlucky to have dropped. You can expect any team to fluke a win or two or snatch the odd draw against the run of play. It never happened for us. No lifeline fell into our laps when we were crying out for it.

It was a cursed season and won't ever be beaten.