St Clod’s Day

BaaLocks

12 hours ago, Crewton said:

If VAR had existed that season, we would have picked up enough points to at least not be holding the record. There were some truly awful refereeing decisions that went against us, and very few that went in our favour. We were a poor team, but did indeed have dreadful rub o' the green. 

I couldn’t possibly comment!

On 25/10/2021 at 10:06, ram59 said:

Surely, the principle behind yoyo clubs is that they spend a little bit of their cash bonanza each time they get into the Premier, making themselves that little bit stronger, until they get to the stage whereby they are capable of consolidating their promotion one season, without having to break the bank. I would have thought that by now the likes of Norwich, Fulham and WBA should be close to this position.

...or the owner can take out a £15m dividend every season. What a system it is !

On 26/10/2021 at 07:23, Crewton said:

If VAR had existed that season, we would have picked up enough points to at least not be holding the record. There were some truly awful refereeing decisions that went against us, and very few that went in our favour. We were a poor team, but did indeed have dreadful rub o' the green. 

We actually lost 8 games that season 1-0, missed penalties that would have got us 2 draws  and a win.  And had those two games over Christmas where Newcastle got a last minute equaliser from nowhere and Liverpool beat us 2-1 in injury time after we battered them for 45 minutes.  Our biggest issue as normal was no strikers leading to almost constant pressure as everyone's defence just pushed up into midfield. then the defence disappeared for two months as they just gave up,  those last couple of months were unforgiveable and peddled this myth we got hammered every game.

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We actually lost 8 games that season 1-0, missed penalties that would have got us 2 draws  and a win.  And had those two games over Christmas where Newcastle got a last minute equaliser from nowhere and Liverpool beat us 2-1 in injury time after we battered them for 45 minutes.  Our biggest issue as normal was no strikers leading to almost constant pressure as everyone's defence just pushed up into midfield. then the defence disappeared for two months as they just gave up,  those last couple of months were unforgiveable and peddled this myth we got hammered every game.

That Liverpool defeat was a travesty. Carragher wiped Mears out of the game with a bodycheck near their penalty area and they scored the winner while he was still picking himself up off the deck. Another classic refereeing performance. 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

... And had those two games over Christmas where Newcastle got a last minute equaliser from nowhere and Liverpool beat us 2-1 in injury time after we battered them for 45 minutes.  

So glad that sort of thing doesn't happen any more.  That would be so annoying!   ?

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This beat I don't really agree with. We got hammered maybe 7 or 8 times that year and looking at the results they were quite evenly spread out.

But definitely, looking at it now the results were much closer than I remember

2 hours ago, Tombo said:

This beat I don't really agree with. We got hammered maybe 7 or 8 times that year and looking at the results they were quite evenly spread out.

But definitely, looking at it now the results were much closer than I remember

I remember us taking a couple heavy ones away at Liverpool and Spurs  earlier.  But that last period of 6 or 7 sticks in my mind- home games v Arsenal, Villa and Reading were horrific.  

At Spurs Chelsea and Liverpool, we got truly hammered. At Arsenal, I left with the feeling that Arsenal had benfited from some very generous interpretations of the rules, which watching the highlights next day didn't dispel. Arsenal at home was another hammering, as was Reading, but in the Villa and West Ham games, we were playing well until the opposition scored a couple of streaky goals. Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool at home, we deserved at least a point but were screwed in each case by a poor refereeing decision. So many other games were tight affairs where a bit of luck/rub of the green could have changed the result, but the only piece of "luck" I can recall us getting all season was when Sunderland had a legit goal rules out incorrectly for offside at PP, which we drew.

We'd never had stayed up that season, if if these things had balanced out, but I'm convinced we'd have easily picked up another 9 or 10 points.

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I remember us taking a couple heavy ones away at Liverpool and Spurs  earlier.  But that last period of 6 or 7 sticks in my mind- home games v Arsenal, Villa and Reading were horrific.  

I thought we played quite well against Arsenal. They scored three late goals, turned a 3-2 into a 6-2. But Villa was just a shower of the brown stuff.