Derby finally accept 21 point deduction.

taggy180

I do love some people's attempts to give Mel leeway by saying the fans were all on board.  The fans were not told this was completely unsustainable, that administration was laying in waiting and we had ripped through ffp. In fact, Mel kept on emphasising pretty much the opposite. Even a cursory glance at the reaction to administration from those who attended the now infamous meeting would tell us all we need to know about what was told to us about the situation. It's about as pathetic an excuse as it gets and I personally don't have empathy for Mel Morris. He ran the club completely irresponsibly, has ran away now it's all gone south and left the club to pick up the mess. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stoke - Something like a £20m covid impairment on players (meaning they can slash the amortisation charges. Conveniently this was exactly what they needed to stay within P&S limits.

I'm still amazed that passed the EFL, seemingly without them batting an eyelid.  Unless half of their squad got long-COVID or something, the only thing that can have been impaired is their ability to sell players on.  And given the ruling in our case, you are very specifically not allowed to factor that into players book-values, it has to be entirely based on their ability to play matches for the club.

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I'm still amazed that passed the EFL, seemingly without them batting an eyelid.  Unless half of their squad got long-COVID or something, the only thing that can have been impaired is their ability to sell players on.  And given the ruling in our case, you are very specifically not allowed to factor that into players book-values, it has to be entirely based on their ability to play matches for the club.

You've got to wait for them to pip Boro to the playoffs, first

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Well continue ranting away at other posters like a ducking loon then matey, for all the good it'll do.

This.

From a personal point of view, if it's something I can't control or I cannot affect the outcome, it gets filed mentally under "It is what it is" and I don't worry about it. It means that I can sleep at night.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

If you are told to put your hand in a fire do yo do it .

No you don’t. 

1 hour ago, Kathcairns said:

You could use that saying for eveything in life, so dos'nt really wash.

Not so much wash, but certainly run it under a cold tap!  

Oh... hang on... let me read them again... 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I've looked at every Championship team tbh... Both of those teams have bent the rules.

Reading - sold stadium and loaned Aluko out to owner's Chinese club for an over inflated amount.. meaning they narrowly avoided a P&S overspend up to 2019. It'll be roughly £32m overspent for the 2020 period. I think there's some other dodgy stuff but can't remember what off the top of my head.

Stoke - Something like a £20m covid impairment on players (meaning they can slash the amortisation charges. Conveniently this was exactly what they needed to stay within P&S limits.

I expect more dodgy transactions from those clubs in the 20/21 accounts.

Thank you. it will be interesting what happens to them and others. I think if the tree is shaken lots of bad stuff will fall out

40 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I do love some people's attempts to give Mel leeway by saying the fans were all on board.  The fans were not told this was completely unsustainable, that administration was laying in waiting and we had ripped through ffp. In fact, Mel kept on emphasising pretty much the opposite. Even a cursory glance at the reaction to administration from those who attended the now infamous meeting would tell us all we need to know about what was told to us about the situation. It's about as pathetic an excuse as it gets and I personally don't have empathy for Mel Morris. He ran the club completely irresponsibly, has ran away now it's all gone south and left the club to pick up the mess. 

Or maybe as a fan, a businessman and with the fans expectations, Mel put his own money in to the club to invest with a view to getting the club promoted along with shrewd business tactics. The EFL then decide to change and backdate the rules and therefore force the club from a compliant FFP position into a potentially non compliant position followed by vitriol and hatred shown by the fans towards Mel. I can't say I blame him putting the club into admin with the way a lot of the Derby fans behave. 

Now if John Percy is to be believed, the EFL are dragging out the appeal hearing for the administration so that any sale cannot be concluded forcing the administrators to retract the appeal, accept the additional points deduction to clear up the situation as soon as possible and conclude the sale. 

Wonderful. 

4 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Or maybe as a fan, a businessman and with the fans expectations, Mel put his own money in to the club to invest with a view to getting the club promoted along with shrewd business tactics. The EFL then decide to change and backdate the rules and therefore force the club from a compliant FFP position into a potentially non compliant position followed by vitriol and hatred shown by the fans towards Mel. I can't say I blame him putting the club into admin with the way a lot of the Derby fans behave. 

Now if John Percy is to be believed, the EFL are dragging out the appeal hearing for the administration so that any sale cannot be concluded forcing the administrators to retract the appeal, accept the additional points deduction to clear up the situation as soon as possible and conclude the sale. 

Wonderful. 

Mel, is that you? 

Edited by Leeds Ram

19 hours ago, Norman said:

Yeah, they have. Whip up the positivity, get numbers through the door, hope it corresponds to slightly better results on the pitch and on the whole make us look as attractive as possible to buyers.

It's their job. But still. I got sucked in. 

I think the administrators got off on the right foot. Lots of positivity whilst acknowledging the difficulties ahead,  encouraging good attendance despite all the bad news, corresponding to better results and a fighting team and manager and all of this making us attractive to buyers. Of course all of the above were also down to the manager and his backroom team, the players who have shown such spirit and the fans defiant support, but the administrators kick started that belief that the club could survive.

I think I remember Wayne Rooney say that he had asked the administrators to keep him informed on a daily basis how things were progressing. They may well be doing this but to the fans this silence could now  be taken as ominous.

I was excited and hopeful that the administrators would be able to successfully challenge our points reduction. I think they had a good chance but then it seemed to collapse.

Hope is something we desperately needed then, and if you were sucked in, then form an orderly queue with the rest of us and no pushing, please! ?

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

I do think there is a story yet to come out. I think the FFP stuff is a bit peripheral. Mel was trying to push things to the limit to get promoted. It failed and we're getting punished, but it's the cash flow side that is the big story.

It appears that Mel was funding things by injecting equity, then by getting loans and then not at all. Why the change? I think it's understandable if he was down to his last few million, wasn't able to sell the club due to the EFL stuff and wanted to get off before he had to start applying for jobs in Tesco. It's much less so if was down to his last £300m and decided his hobby was getting too expensive. 

The one reason why I still wonder if Mel might deserve a bit of sympathy is that it must be easier to sell a stable club rather than a basket case. I think it's possible that Mel didn't have the resources to sort the mess out. 

5 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Things don't appear to be right.

Nixon...says -15 points

Percy...says -21 points

EFL...did they adjourne if so why

Admin...did they adjourne if so why

The Baron(Kieren Maguire)says we have the best legal brief going...Nick De Marco

We've already had a £100k fine

What else under FFP have we been charged with?

We've been told by Admin...they believe we have a good case regarding Covid/Admin

So if all that Percy says is right and at the mo i'm taking it with a large pinch of salt, The only conclusion I beleive is the EFL have stalled on the appeal and with it bringing DCFC to it's knees around the sale, Accept our charge or go bust.

Nixon has been saying -21, before thr Percy article too.

It is The Athletic who said -15

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I do think there is a story yet to come out. I think the FFP stuff is a bit peripheral. Mel was trying to push things to the limit to get promoted. It failed and we're getting punished, but it's the cash flow side that is the big story.

It appears that Mel was funding things by injecting equity, then by getting loans and then not at all. Why the change? I think it's understandable if he was down to his last few million, wasn't able to sell the club due to the EFL stuff and wanted to get off before he had to start applying for jobs in Tesco. It's much less so if was down to his last £300m and decided his hobby was getting too expensive. 

The one reason why I still wonder if Mel might deserve a bit of sympathy is that it must be easier to sell a stable club rather than a basket case. I think it's possible that Mel didn't have the resources to sort the mess out. 

From the Al-Jazeera documentary we can date that up to the other year he was still demanding 50 million for the club without the stadium and 100 million with it. So, the argument that he's been desperately trying to sell for a number of years  I think needs to be looked upon with a degree of scepticism.  If he'd been trying to offload us to get us off his books to a willing buyer for a lower price that's a different story but he was essentially seeking his money back. He can't even claim he was being diligent with who was buying us given the past two takeover attempts... 

If I'm being honest I'd have more sympathy with him if he'd been transparent with the staff and the fans about the seriousness of the situation and admitted he'd made a series of errors that got us to this position. He's been unable to do that for god knows what reason and I find it very difficult to stomach that he's burned our club to the ground and has essentially taken 0 responsibility. He's gone from being on a talk show every 5 minutes to completely silent and for me if he ever shows his face at Pride Park again he should be made to feel very unwelcome. 

20 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Just curious. Is this the most points deducted?

was it Swindon? I know somebody got a huge amount (might have been Coventry), A bit like the Americans giving someone a 100 year life sentence pointless (no pun intended)

got it Luton lost 30 points

Edited by Woodley Ram

19 hours ago, jono said:

Believe me … that is what the EFL want to do. They have a track record of vindictively pursuing clubs way out proportion to offences committed, especially when egged on by partisan committee members. It’s been my fear all along. I’ll swallow a pill of relegation. It will hurt, but ritual humiliation just isn’t right and I will rage about it all day long. 

for the life of me I cannot understand where all the decent men have gone. ( maybe there never were any and I am just naive  ) This goes way beyond DCFC. There is a complete lack of nobility running through everyday life and from every political or sporting angle. Too many wrong uns out there. 

Soz .. it’s been a long day 

I think it was ever and thus, @jono. I guess we know about dreadful behaviour more because information is much more freely available on social media now than when communities only had the town crier to bring news. Bad news always outsells good news and it is easy to think that the world is full of scoundrels and the ignoble in all walks of life. Whilst there are too many people like this out there, I think that the vast majority of us are good, kind and noble people who love their families, try hard to save the planet, always put a pound in a charity box and are angry at the ignominious acts of the criminal minority.

Hope that a good nights sleep has restored your usual good humour and equilibrium. ??

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

You have to feel sorry for Stoke, they assessed that their squad had ALL lost 80% of their value due to Covid. Then just a few weeks later sold Nathan Collins to Burnley for just £12m. Absolutely a £60m player (well he was before Covid).