Overrated or underrated

sage

6 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

Fozzie underrated 

Our longest serving pro. He’s seen off every challenge at left back dispite some horrendous injuries.  I get annoyed when he gets criticised because it’s usually when he’s filling in at centre half. He has great vision and a sweet left foot.

And yesterday with Buchanan playing in front of him for the last 10 mins I thought there could be something in that going forward.

I don’t have a players’ name on the back of my shirt but if I had to have one it would be Forsyth.

Thanks Bruce.

Overrated: Rooney

Underrated: Roos, Forsyth, Sibley

I include Sibley because there is a large pool of people on here who don't appear to see that, alone in our squad (perhaps with Stretton after a full season to evaluate), Sibley has that magical ability to score a lot of goals. An amazing ball striker with either foot and a superb carrier of the ball forward from midfield. And someone who always threatens the opposition and wants to score goals in a way that none of our other players do.

Rooney was too slow for the last ten years of his playing career and hampered every team he played for by slowing the game down to his pace. Controlling the ball, looking up, shaping to play a 40 yard pass to the wing, taking another touch, then floating the 40 yard pass to the wing, either to be intercepted or the defence having had ample time to set themselves. And now he's eaten even more pies than me.

To be fair most of our players are playing in the Championship for a reason. They are inconsistent. All the players mentioned in this thread have strengths and the ability to be decent or even good on their day, it's just a case of how often they are able to produce it.

For that reason I don't really over or under rate any of them. I just just rate them as I find them and go to games knowing that they won't be showing their best attributes every time and am accepting of that...

Edited by Gandalf's shin pads

10 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

To be fair most of our players are playing in the Championship for a reason. They are inconsistent. All the players mentioned in this thread have strengths and the ability to be decent or even good on their day, it's just a case of how often they are able to produce it.

For that reason I don't really over or under rate any of them. I just just rate them as I find them and go to games knowing that they won't be showing their best attributes every time and am accepting of that...

I think what you've said is why I think it's so important in the championship to have a very clear idea tactically. It's a division where a lot of players tend to have very clear strengths and very clear weaknesses. You really need to figure out how to emphasise the strengths and deemphasise weakness through finding the right roles for players and the right players around them to compliment them. By doing that a player or a team can play "above" what you'd expect and likewise if you get it wrong you can have all the "quality" in the division and still look poor.

OK I will have a go too

Underrated - Roos, Davies, Jags, Fozzy, Buchanan, Bird, Joz, Lawrence, Baldock, Stretton

Overrated - Byrne, Shinnie, Lawrence, Sibley, CKR, Festy

Rated about right - Beilik

I know I put Lawrence in both, but it depends who you talk to doesnt it the closest to Marmite a footballer has ever got, I think he is overated, but for 55 minutes yesterday he was awesome, keep it up Captain Tom

Really sad to put Sibley and Festy in Overrated but I think this is because we set up some of youngsters to fail with extremely high expectations

12 hours ago, Ratpackram said:

Underrated. Archie gemmil

Has he re-signed?

I'm not sure how good he'd be in a third spell.

That goal against Forest apart, he was older and less effective in his second spell and I won't take sides in his protests against Peter Taylor.

But in his first spell, Archie was truly loved by all - even those who were fans of Willie Carlin.

Edited by IslandExile