Overrated or underrated

sage

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Who out of the current squad is the most overrated and/or underrated by your fellow fans?

Can’t believe there were people out there today who were saying Joz was no good. He had a bad spell last half of 20/21 but today he looked excellent 

wish he’d stayed on 

Edited by kevinhectoring

Jozwiak is overrated in terms of his effectiveness as a forward. He is undoubtedly neat and tidy on the ball and has good close control. He always ‘puts a shift in’ and has nice moments but as far as creating goal scoring opportunities is concerned he has been disappointing. I thought he would have a better shot on him and he doesn’t make good decisions in and around the box. 

I’d like to see him pick out more passes like the one to Lawrence yesterday.

Sibley is a good player if he’s given loads of space. That’s why he looks good in the U23s or in cup matches. Unfortunately in league games he won’t get the space he needs. He also lacks the strength to hold the ball under pressure. I’m hoping the coaching staff will be able to help him, but at present he’s not a starter for me if we can bring new players in.

I have criticised Bird in the past but this season I have been impressed with the way he has improved his tackling and defensive awareness. I just wish he’d have the confidence to play ten yards further forward because he can unpick a defence with his passing.

I have also liked what I have seen from Baldock so far. A real team player.

And I think Stretton just needs a bit of luck. He was inches away from being a hero yesterday. He has the strength Sibley lacks and runs into good areas. If Rooney and co can instil the belief he belongs in the team, he will do well.

Overrated: Joz . Joz is looking much much better but needs to start scoring goals. I’ve put him as overrated as some folk at watching a few YouTube clips or selecting him on FIFA made him about to be the Polish Messi. 

Underrated: Fozzy, great servant to the club a good defender and best crosser of the ball in the team. 

Fozzie underrated 

Our longest serving pro. He’s seen off every challenge at left back dispite some horrendous injuries.  I get annoyed when he gets criticised because it’s usually when he’s filling in at centre half. He has great vision and a sweet left foot.

And yesterday with Buchanan playing in front of him for the last 10 mins I thought there could be something in that going forward.

I don’t have a players’ name on the back of my shirt but if I had to have one it would be Forsyth.

Edited by 24Charlie

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I also think Roos is overrated.

Even by me and I think he's terrible.

Not sure how he can be overrated when so many voice their concerns about him.

Worth mentioning here, we've conceded 4 goals in the league so far this season, only Fulham and Birmingham have conceded less (3).

You could argue this is the defence, but Roos is part of the defence, hardly terrible. Pulled off some cracking saves to keep us in games already. 

Underrated:

• Bird - The best midfielder both in terms of passing to open teams up and defensively we have aside from a fully fit Bielik. Technically very gifted and one of few players that can be reliably given the ball in almost any situation. Will look better and better as the team improves.
  • Jozwiak - I think as a fan base people seem to be warming up again to him but I think he was harshly judged on coming in during a crap season where none of the attacking players did well and consequently his confidence went down the drain. Really intelligent movement and his often excellent link up play often goes unmentioned.
  • Roos - Despite yesterday's unfortunate mistake, he's better than he gets credit for. On the whole he's an excellent shot stopper and there are few keepers more comfortable receiving the ball in the division. He has flaws in his game for sure but name a championship keeper that doesn't.
  • Lawrence (a bit) - This is mostly down to I think there are large chunks of the fan base that think he's a bad player which is just clearly not true. He can be frustrating but he puts a lot more effort in than he's given credit for and is one of few players we have who can completely change a game.
  • The Squad on the whole - I've read a lot about how we've only got a squad that will just maybe if we are lucky stay up and I think we have a healthy amount more than that. We are a little thin in places but I don't see why what we have can't finish top half with a bit of coaching in the right direction (injuries permitting).

Overrated:

(As a preloaded caveat I think none of the following are remotely bad players, personally I don't think we have any outright bad players in the squad)

• Shinnie - Kinda feel like I'm beating a dead horse with this, as I feel like I've made my views pretty clear. Technically and tactically limited and his defensive work is a touch overrated because it's very showy. For what it's worth I do think it's partly down to him being played in a system and a position that doesn't really suit him. On the brief times we've seen him in a more forward role in a 433 he's played at a different level.
  • Byrne - I think there is the obvious stuff with Byrne i.e. bad in the air, occasionally a little bullied and the occasionally clanger. But the one are I really think he's overrated his going forwards. He has a reputation of being excellent going forwards which I think mostly comes down to that he regularly gets the ball into the box. The issue is he has a propensity for lofting slow easy to defend balls into the box that opposing centre backs have no trouble defending against (especially without CKR). It's that weird case of being pretty wasteful without the perception of it. Overall going forwards I think he compares unfavourably to both McDonald and Ebosele.
  • Morrison (a bit) - I'll preface this by saying I think he's really helped our midfield look a lot better and I think he should be in the starting 11 without a shadow of doubt for the season. With that said I think he's made some bad decisions in attacking areas and the occasional very sloppy pass in a dangerous area that another player would have got murdered for. I think some of that has been from playing past the point he should have been taken off for tiring and some of it is likely rustiness having not played a lot. Both of which should improve as we go on.
  • CKR - I really like the guy but on this season's evidence he should be 3rd or 4th choice and being used as an option for something different off the bench. We've just looked more fluid and potent with other options and he isn't clinical enough or creative enough to compensate for that. 

Overrated: Morrison and CKR

Underrated: Bird and Fozzy 

I love CKR and he did a good job for us last season, but the reality is he’s a decent back up striker and sometimes he hinders our progress when attacking.

Morrison reminds me of one of my old managers sayings “ that lads mostly fart and hardly any poo” easily the most technically gifted player in the squad, if not the division. Yet it doesn’t translate into the effective performances you would expect. Yes we’ve had some nice touches and he keeps possession fairly well, but he doesn’t impact the game to a level you’d expect from such a talented player. His performances look to be on the wane as well. 

Bird gets absolute pelters from our fans but he’s easily been our best midfielder this season after a tough season last year. He’s mobile, does his defensive work well and knits play together nicely.

Fozzy again another who gets pelters, yes his passing can be dodgy, but he gives his all and is having a good season thus far. After the nightmare he’s had with injuries it’s great to see him still doing well in the latter stages of his career.