Attending away matches?

I've been thinking about going to a few away games this season, as I now have the time to do so, I've never been to an away match before! What can I expect? Is it true everybody stands up for the whole game?, and do people take their allocated seats? Is it rowdy, south stand style? What about before and after the game? I'd probably drive so is parking an issue at times? I'm in my fifties and would like to sit down and watch the game, giving the rams a cheer on the way. Fairly typical north stander ? 

5 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I've been thinking about going to a few away games this season, as I now have the time to do so, I've never been to an away match before! What can I expect? Is it true everybody stands up for the whole game?, and do people take their allocated seats? Is it rowdy, south stand style? What about before and after the game? I'd probably drive so is parking an issue at times? I'm in my fifties and would like to sit down and watch the game, giving the rams a cheer on the way. Fairly typical north stander ? 

I hate how everyone stands up at away games. Not good for us with aches and pains ?

Went on Saturday and really enjoyed it except the injury time. Constant singing, didnt hear anything that has been reported afterwards. I have rheumatoid arthritis and cant stand for 90 but Peterborough ticket office gave us back row seats so even if standing in front we could lean/perch. So depending on match you may be able to chose where you sit once it goes from our booking system. When my boys were younger ticket office allocated us seats near front but more tricky if you cant speak to someone. We Were right near central standing rowdy crowd but sat for much of match but it was great until the end. 

35 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I've been thinking about going to a few away games this season.

Go for it, The experience alone will be something to savour.

I've never been to an away match before! What can I expect?

Always expect the unexpected, Depends which games you pick but each to their own I guess

Is it true everybody stands up for the whole game?

No, A lot do and a lot dont, Depends on where you're going to sit...or stand

and do people take their allocated seats?

No, Unlees your Leeds or Chelsea it's best if you leave them bolted to the floor.

Is it rowdy, south stand style?

Can be, Again depends on where you're sitting

What about before and after the game?

Before the game have a mooch around the town, A bite to eat and a drink maybe, After the game a burger then straight to a boozer, But all depends on your mode of transport.

I'd probably drive so is parking an issue at times?

Depends which game you choose, It can be a pain parking near a ground, Then again there may be a car park near to the game of your choice...not forgetting that drink and driving is not an idea i'm advocating...see above.

I'm in my fifties and would like to sit down and watch the game, giving the rams a cheer on the way. Fairly typical north stander ?

Away games are not like home games, There's more excitement, Banter, Tomfoolery, Giggles galore, You'll enjoy the day...especially if we get 3 pointsSport Spray Can GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

1 hour ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

• Away games are great. There will occasionally be unsavoury incidents that put people off, usually caused by people having too much to drink and sniff, so I'd be prepared for that. 
  • Most stand but you should be able to sit if you get a seat near the front.
  • Most people take their allocated seats, but there's usually a few trying to squeeze in when they've got separate tickets from their mates (usually me).
  • Atmosphere is generally like the South Stand on a good day (though obviously not as loud due to reduced numbers).
  • No idea on driving. The pubs and concourse are good pre-match.
Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

Pre match research for parking was a must for me, back in the day.  As was impeccable timing.  Can be a real pain if you take pot luck.

*Obviously, back in the proper days, it was all private hire coaches (or back of tranny vans) and pub stops, so no research required way back then... which was a good job to be fair, as there wasn't actually anything to research with!  ?

38 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:
  • Away games are great. There will occasionally be unsavoury incidents that put people off, usually caused by people having too much to drink and sniff, so I'd be prepared for that. 
  • Most stand but you should be able to sit if you get a seat near the front.
  • Most people take their allocated seats, but there's usually a few trying to squeeze in when they've got separate tickets from their mates (usually me).
  • Atmosphere is generally like the South Stand on a good day (though obviously not as loud due to reduced numbers).
  • No idea on driving. The pubs and concourse are good pre-match.

1. Don’t sit near @DarkFruitsRam7

2.Don’t go to the toilet at the same time as @DarkFruitsRam7

3.Just avoid an away game when you know @DarkFruitsRam7is going.

I’m 52 and love an away day,just do your homework on parking/journey etc.

1 hour ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I pretty much always drive to away games. Used to use a website called parkonmydrive.co.uk. Basically, residents near to the ground would let out spare drive space for 5-10 quid. 

You're off road and not obviously an away supporter so worked well. You have to have a look on Google maps to get one as close as possible. 

1 hour ago, Jram said:

I hate how everyone stands up at away games.

????????????
this needed saying. 
I can understand when it’s a moment of high drama or a goal celebration.. but ALL the time in a seated area I’ve never liked.  

I come from an era of SEATS or STANDING. no inbetweens. As has been said above it’s also unfair to block the view of any juniors/elderly/infirm/short arses. ?

If you can't stand, ask people that want to stand if they would swap seats. 

Don't be one of those miserable gits that insist on sitting in the seat they paid for even if it is behind 1000 fans that want to stand. 

I have offered to swap with people behind me in the past only to be moaned at and even have the stewards called to us, just because that was the seat they were allocated and they would rather others sit than move one row down. 

I'm 57 and hate sitting to watch football. 

3 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I've been thinking about going to a few away games this season, as I now have the time to do so, I've never been to an away match before! What can I expect? Is it true everybody stands up for the whole game?, and do people take their allocated seats? Is it rowdy, south stand style? What about before and after the game? I'd probably drive so is parking an issue at times? I'm in my fiftiees and would like to sit down and watch the game, giving the rams a cheer on the way. Fairly typical north stander ? 

Yes everybody stands for whole match no one sits down so dont expect to sit down.