Substitutions when winning with 10 mins to go

belperram9

What are peoples views on this? Countless times I have watched us with a narrow lead with only 10 minutes to go and we make a substitution. Whether that be a defensive player coming on, or a like for like swap. I personally hate it. Bringing a defensive player on just invites pressure and encourages the opposition to attack. A like for like switch gives the oncoming sub little time to adapt and get into the swing of things. Likely they are feeling added pressure as well. It probably takes a player at least 10 minutes for a player to get a feel for the ball/tempo, but when they are bought on with 10 minutes to go then it is difficult for them. I think this is what happened to Joz yesterday. 

I personally feel it is only merited if there is an apparent injury/fatigue issue, or the lead is out of sight. It always seem when we are defending a narrow lead that these Subs are made and then it goes completely wrong. I’m not just saying it’s Derby, I’ve seen other teams do it as well. For me the team that has established the lead should see the game out, as they have had a feel for the game, the opposition, and the tempo. Rather than just chucking someone on and expecting them to immediately immerse themselves into how the game is being played. Added pressure and upsets the balance IMO?

Edited by belperram9

21 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Morrison has only ever started 90 games in his entire first class carer or something like that and he is 28 and I suspect he hardly ever played the full games

And even blowing through his arris after 80 minutes he was giving us more control than bird and shinnie will ever give us 

I didn't like the substitutions as it seemed to invite more pressure. Morrison had good control of the game and when he went off we couldn't really get out much. 

Having said that, it worked this time and Stearman headed everything away. I would much rather have a pro active manager who does things like this than how Rooney was last season at least. 

Just now, Chris_Martin said:

I didn't like the substitutions as it seemed to invite more pressure. Morrison had good control of the game and when he went off we couldn't really get out much. 

Having said that, it worked this time and Stearman headed everything away. I would much rather have a pro active manager who does things like this than how Rooney was last season at least. 

They went two up top with there changes, clipping and throwing it in the box, it worked today, we looked focused and very motivated to keep it clean during the late minutes.

37 minutes ago, Saul said:

Amazed he replaced Morrison with Stearman. I mean, what did Stearman do that justified his introduction.

Bonkers 

Won 2 headers and a free kick, blocked one shot and put someone off another. Bonkers

Hold on...do i sniff sarcasm @Saul ?

Edited by sage

I was surprised at the change but then Morrison was clearly running on fumes and to be fair Stearman was solid as a rock and helped see the game out..pleasantly surprised at the lack of threat from Hull last 10 minutes even though we dropped too deep at times.