The latest from the club via Chris Coles

Heisenberg

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Possibly. I do think though that Bielik was doing a lot more heavy lifting tactically than merely being the primary defensive cover. At the time he was simultaneously the sole playmaker, the defensive anchor, the only player consistently looking to get on the ball and one of few players capable of carrying the ball. Basically I think we were really wonky tactically but got away with it because Bielik is an excellent player who could paper over the cracks.

Oh yeh - Bielik is head and shoulders above any other player in our side and could have single handedly led us to an easy safe finish last season

But without him we still needed someone to do the defensive role - In that Macca side we had Eustace - We don't have any cover for that role in the current squad

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Yeah that's quite possible to be honest but likewise I'd bet a reasonable amount of money that if we'd have just played Sibley as a 10 whenever he was a fit we'd have scored quite a few more even if he did have the odd duff game or 2.

I worry about the damage to his confidence - Obviously a phenomenal talent but I'm not sure he's the kind of player who bounces right back from a bad game - I think he's at his best when he has a point to prove

Can anyone remember during the Mac years when we had a ‘What the opposition are saying’ thread and it was full of opposition fans gushing over our team and the way we had built the 2013-14, 2014-15 sides?

I wonder what those same fans are thinking now. 

Incredible how we went from that to this. Only one man responsible for it all. 

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Oh yeh - Bielik is head and shoulders above any other player in our side and could have single handedly led us to an easy safe finish last season

But without him we still needed someone to do the defensive role - In that Macca side we had Eustace - We don't have any cover for that role in the current squad

I worry about the damage to his confidence - Obviously a phenomenal talent but I'm not sure he's the kind of player who bounces right back from a bad game - I think he's at his best when he has a point to prove

I think Bird likely grows into that role given time but probably isn't there yet for it. His positioning is very good (which is key) and so when he physically matures more I think you will see that.

I get your point about Sibley but the hard thing to tell with him is that he's never really had the chance to play after a bad game as he has usually just been dropped.

15 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Possibly. I do think though that Bielik was doing a lot more heavy lifting tactically than merely being the primary defensive cover. At the time he was simultaneously the sole playmaker, the defensive anchor, the only player consistently looking to get on the ball and one of few players capable of carrying the ball. Basically I think we were really wonky tactically but got away with it because Bielik is an excellent player who could paper over the cracks.

That's the big thing for me.  He's the only midfielder we have that actually does that.  Shinnie is always out of position because he's gone off chasing the ball (not saying that's a bad thing necessarily, sometimes you want a player like that), and Bird has a really bad habit of hiding from the ball - so when our centre halves have it, he's stood stationary with 2 attackers between him and the ball, instead of busting a gut to get into space.

I actually think we weren't that bad a team in the final third last season when we got the ball there, the problem was we really struggled to get decent ball into the them.  Too many moves breaking down because of a lack of passing options in midfield or because we took too long to progress the ball.  Bielik just solved that problem in one player.

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think Bird likely grows into that role given time but probably isn't there yet for it. His positioning is very good (which is key) and so when he physically matures more I think you will see that.

I get your point about Sibley but the hard thing to tell with him is that he's never really had the chance to play after a bad game as he has usually just been dropped.

I agree here. I don't think Bird is there yet..

I'm not sure what he is. I don't think he's a holding mid, he's not strong enough.

Not an attacking mid either.

I also don't like 2 left footers playing together. The balances isn't right 

21 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'm not convinced on that - Think we're going to see him moved further forwards (as Rooney has indicated)

He's just not a tackler/destroyer/protector for me

1 minute ago, BucksRam said:

Sorry, had my head down with work and see we've gone through about another 10 pages since I last looked.  Has anything more been updated or are we still waiting?  

You don’t know the latest? ? 

27 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Can anyone remember during the Mac years when we had a ‘What the opposition are saying’ thread and it was full of opposition fans gushing over our team and the way we had built the 2013-14, 2014-15 sides?

I wonder what those same fans are thinking now. 

Incredible how we went from that to this. Only one man responsible for it all. 

Was literally thinking about the view from the outside thread earlier and what it would be like now. It’s depressing to think where we thought the club and that team was heading after that play off final defeat. 

Just now, cheron85 said:

I'm not convinced on that - Think we're going to see him moved further forwards (as Rooney has indicated)

Bird the destroyer?

hahahahahahaha - that’s really funny. He tackles so tentatively. 

His strength is distribution. Sometimes it’s a bit safe, but he can produce ambitious passes too. I just wish he wouldn’t try those so close to our goal.

In this squad he’s worth a starting berth.

I’d anchor with Shinnie and have Bird and perhaps Thompson over Watson just in front.

I’m assuming it will be Rooney’s favourites Joz, Tom and CKR up front.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To be fair, he was the only manager since Clough to give Bennett a chance - it only took 5 years.
Bogle was down to luck more than anything, else we couldn't find a suitable loan for him (as he hadn't had any prior first team experience)
He was a big fan of Bird and was slowly introducing him into the team. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he was here for another season.

That same Bogle is being heavily linked with a move to Tottenham Hotspur - if this comes off we should be getting a fair bit back I suspect - Spurs manager is a big fan of Bogle apparently 

23 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Bird the destroyer?

His strength is distribution. Sometimes it’s a bit safe, but he can produce ambitious passes too. I just wish he wouldn’t try those so close to our goal.

I’d anchor with Shinnie and have Bird and perhaps Thompson over Watson just in front.

Can I just ask. 

If you don't play CKR, Lawrence and Jozwiak up top then who are you playing?

30 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

It's very possible we see him further forward this season but I do think long term he develops into a player who is deployed as the solely "defensive midfielder". Thing is there is more than one way to skin a cat in the position, he's likely never a destroyer but a lot of the best modern defensive midfielders aren't really that. They rely on positioning and reading the game. Hell look at Hughes who has developed into that role who was a lot more attacking when he was here.

45 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I agree here. I don't think Bird is there yet..

I'm not sure what he is. I don't think he's a holding mid, he's not strong enough.

Not an attacking mid either.

I also don't like 2 left footers playing together. The balances isn't right 

Right now he'd probably be best used as a linking midfielder, like how we did with Hughes but long term I think he is a defensive midfielder in the mould of Michael Carrick.

30 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Bird the destroyer?

Every game I’ve ever seen L Thompson play he has been holding midfielder so I’d be surprised to see him play ahead of a two. I’d much prefer to see Sibley in there 

11 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Can I just ask. 

If you don't play CKR, Lawrence and Jozwiak up top then who are you playing?

If no new signings that’s probably all we have until Stretton proves his worth. I would say that Ebosele looks more likely to create chances than Jozwiak or Lawrence. Colin is the only central striker we have so is in by default.

It must be one of the weakest front threes in the league.