Sone Aluko (Gone to Ipswich) & Sam Baldock (Signed)

Bubbles

4 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Years spent clearing out the dead wood only to pile it back on again later.

Aluko, 32. Baldock, 32. Stearman, 33. Davies, 36. Jagielka, 38.

I would say they’re all past it, but I’m not sure some of them ever even had it. We really need this takeover to go through ASAP.

Difference being the previous deadwood were players we paid high fees and high wages on extortionate contracts. 

Nothing wrong with older players if they're on reasonable wages (has to be in our case) and short term deals. Some of our better signings of the last decade have been older players on frees:

Eustace

Davies

Warnock 

Baird

CKR

20 minutes ago, rad1919 said:

Can’t imagine we would bother having all these players at a training camp if something wasn’t close.

Anywhere between imminent and 48 hours would be my best guess.

They'll be pending up until we get out of a hard embargo

9 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

I would say they’re all past it, but I’m not sure some of them ever even had it. We really need this takeover to go through ASAP.

Short-term options - as we're restricted to offering just 1 year deals under a soft embargo. Low wages and out the door again at the end of the season. They'll also be playing. The deadwood you refer to - Butterfield, Blackman, Anya, etc... - were all on high wages, long term deals and not playing

Which promising 20-something player is available on a free and willing to sign a 1 year deal?

Edited by Ghost of Clough

2 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

I doubt we would be even entertaining them if a takeover was due. We’re literally scrambling around for bodies to put on the pitch. 

We can’t pay transfer fees, loan fees or even agent fees. This is very much where we are for at least this summer, most likely season, where we have a very real chance of being the worst team in the league. The players who are on the end of their careers who’re desperate to stick at this level is where we will be. I’d imagine there is very few Championship teams less appealing than ourselves to players. 

19 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

If they are all on short term deals to get us through this patch then fine, if we sign players like this and stick them on three year contracts then someone needs sacking.

44 minutes ago, SouthernRam said:

Short term contracts to help get us through our difficulties maybe…I hope anyway…

Lots of unemployed footballers out there this summer and if they want to be footballers then they have to produce the goods

a big positive is that we are having a good look at them it seems and whatever we do it will only be short term 

1 hour ago, RamLad1884 said:

Difference being the previous deadwood were players we paid high fees and high wages on extortionate contracts. 

Nothing wrong with older players if they're on reasonable wages (has to be in our case) and short term deals. Some of our better signings of the last decade have been older players on frees:

Eustace

Davies

Warnock 

Baird

CKR

You can add Gareth Roberts to that list too.

If they want it they can do a job at this level.

Both flops based on what Reading paid for them, but probably worth a trial.

Baldock works hard, which I think we could use. He didn't get much game time last season, so a trial is a good way to judge him.

Aluko I can't help thinking of as an average player who just had a good spell years back. Doubt he'll rediscover that form now but would add depth out wide and cover up front. I imagine there are sides he could be effective again.

The positive here is we're restricted to 1 year deals so can't get stuck with them if they don't plan out. If they're cheap enough they are okay with me, but not sure I want them as first names on the team sheet. Definitely more appealing than Stearman or Morrison who I'm not sure have even had purple patches.

1 minute ago, Rample said:

Both flops based on what Reading paid for them, but probably worth a trial.

Baldock works hard, which I think we could use. He didn't get much game time last season, so a trial is a good way to judge him.

Aluko I can't help thinking of as an average player who just had a good spell years back. Doubt he'll rediscover that form now but would add depth out wide and cover up front. I imagine there are sides he could be effective again.

The positive here is we're restricted to 1 year deals so can't get stuck with them if they don't plan out. If they're cheap enough they are okay with me, but not sure I want them as first names on the team sheet. Definitely more appealing than Stearman or Morrison who I'm not sure have even had purple patches.

Stearman did ok at Wolves…

37 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Stearman did ok at Wolves…

Did he? (Maybe in his first spell, which I had completely forgotten about.. but will edit in if I have time)

He did seemingly do alright at Sheff Utd (didn't play that much) but how much of that was down to Wilder getting average players performing above their usual standard?

2013/14 - 40 appearances (League One winners, the rest is Championship )
2014/15 - 42 appearances, 7th place finish
2015/16 - 33 appearances for Fulham, finished 20th
2016/17 - 18 appearances for Wolves, finished 15th, barely played at the end of the season and was ditched when Mendez came along
2017/18 - 28 appearances for Sheff Utd, 10th place finish
2018/19 - 16 appearances, Sheff Utd promoted in 2nd
2019/20 - 17 appearances on loan at Huddersfield, finished 18th
2020/21 - 21 appearances, 20th place finish, worst defence in the league

Edited by Coconut

Not what any of us want, but it’s where we are now. Sad we are now shopping in the middle isle of Aldi, hopefully we can get the equivalent of a decent cheap battery drill. 

13 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Not what any of us want, but it’s where we are now. Sad we are now shopping in the middle isle of Aldi, hopefully we can get the equivalent of a decent cheap battery drill. 

Lots of people pay more for a brand name and then find the results are similar. Won't know until they get a run out.

18 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

We should try Lidl and look for a Japanese wet suit !!

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lots of people pay more for a brand name and then find the results are similar. Won't know until they get a run out.

In a couple of cases it’ll be a walk out not a run out