Sone Aluko (Gone to Ipswich) & Sam Baldock (Signed)

Bubbles

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

We should also switch to 2 up front as neither is a target man.

Play Baldock instead of a "No.10" and get Stretton running in behind the oppo defence.

Yes. 

It would also be great to see us play off the shoulder and have some pace up front. Personally, I think we may score more goals than we were able to do last season doing this. 

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

Baldock getting the 9 shirt I feel is further evidence that the plan was to go into the season with him leading the line. His goal record is poor and I don't think it will change too much here but I also don't think it's why he's being signed. I suspect he's being signed to get Lawrence scoring regularly. I think the plan tactically is that Baldock stretches the defence, putting the centre backs on the back foot so that Lawrence has space in front of the defence to operate. This is very similar to how Rowett deployed Nugent in order to give Vydra time and space.

Personally I wouldn't judge him too much on how much he scores and don't expect him to score more than around 5, judge him on if the attacking midfield behind him starts scoring more.

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Baldock getting the 9 shirt I feel is further evidence that the plan was to go into the season with him leading the line. His goal record is poor and I don't think it will change too much here but I also don't think it's why he's being signed. I suspect he's being signed to get Lawrence scoring regularly. I think the plan tactically is that Baldock stretches the defence, putting the centre backs on the back foot so that Lawrence has space in front of the defence to operate. This is very similar to how Rowett deployed Nugent in order to give Vydra time and space.

Personally I wouldn't judge him too much on how much he scores and don't expect him to score more than around 5, judge him on if the attacking midfield behind him starts scoring more.

Good post, hadn’t really seen it from that perspective but that makes a lot more sense. We’ve been crying out for a player with more movement 

16 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think your bang on with that tbh 

let’s be honest we’ve done the one lone immobile centre forward for a while now 

we all know Chris Martin made it work with runners and good ball but we have been sooooooo predictable to play against 

I’m hoping like when Gregory came in it opens us up a little and makes us get sides turning .. when u do that u get them dropping as a youve got some space for the likes of Lawrence and Morrison to operate in 

it might work u know 

let’s be honest the last couple of seasons playing with one immobile big man has hardly made us free scoring 

29 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I think your bang on with that tbh 

let’s be honest we’ve done the one lone immobile centre forward for a while now 

we all know Chris Martin made it work with runners and good ball but we have been sooooooo predictable to play against 

I’m hoping like when Gregory came in it opens us up a little and makes us get sides turning .. when u do that u get them dropping as a youve got some space for the likes of Lawrence and Morrison to operate in 

it might work u know 

let’s be honest the last couple of seasons playing with one immobile big man has hardly made us free scoring 

Thing is its all about finding ways to open up space and complimenting what you have. At it's best having skilful, slow target man with runners going beyond them is really hard to defend against because it can open space up in very dangerous areas. However the trick is they do need somebody aggressively going beyond them to keep the defence second guessing. For example last year we primarily played with Knight at 10 which he was clearly not entirely suited for and he wasn't really encouraged to be actively running beyond CKR. 

Likewise somebody looking to play on the shoulder can be very very easy to play against if not properly complimented. The defence just drops and denies the space. It why typically you see that kind of player paired with somebody who helps create the space for them whether a playmaker at 10 or a target man. 

1 hour ago, Ilsonram12 said:

Hopefully his runs around the box will bring other players into the game, could be the change up top we needed as I thought recently ckr was being isolated too often

We, as fans can suggest what WR might do with Baldock and Stretton up front, but will he have the vision or confidence to go with 2 up top seeing as he is an inexperienced manager?

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Thing is its all about finding ways to open up space and complimenting what you have. At it's best having skilful, slow target man with runners going beyond them is really hard to defend against because it can open space up in very dangerous areas. However the trick is they do need somebody aggressively going beyond them to keep the defence second guessing. For example last year we primarily played with Knight at 10 which he was clearly not entirely suited for and he wasn't really encouraged to be actively running beyond CKR. 

Likewise somebody looking to play on the shoulder can be very very easy to play against if not properly complimented. The defence just drops and denies the space. It why typically you see that kind of player paired with somebody who helps create the space for them whether a playmaker at 10 or a target man. 

I think though that’s the point … if they drop deeper then you’ve won that battle

they will have a harder job trying to play out as they’ll be more separated from the front  and u can either pin them in … so although there’s no space in behind there’s plenty for ur attacking mids to go at 

it’s all horses for courses I suppose as it means then we’re pushed up and with our chronic lack of pace open to a break 

14 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I think though that’s the point … if they drop deeper then you’ve won that battle

they will have a harder job trying to play out as they’ll be more separated from the front  and u can either pin them in … so although there’s no space in behind there’s plenty for ur attacking mids to go at 

it’s all horses for courses I suppose as it means then we’re pushed up and with our chronic lack of pace open to a break 

He,s another small player with no physical strength we need someone with height and strength , the team is full of small players. 

Crosses into our box gives us nightmares!!!

41 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Ravel scored 14 career goals before us. Already has 1 for us and looks like he could hit double figures if he stays on form. 

Until Baldock has played a few games I'm reserving judgement. He may be a late career striker similar to Lambert etc. 

It’s taken Morrison 10 years to score all those goals though 

13 minutes ago, Ramfan1958 said:

He,s another small player with no physical strength we need someone with height and strength , the team is full of small players. 

Crosses into our box gives us nightmares!!!

Yes agree totally 

we’d get away in that respect with him upfront  if we had more power elsewhere but his slight of frame only adds to that problem