Sone Aluko (Gone to Ipswich) & Sam Baldock (Signed)

Bubbles

6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Sone Aluko is the kind of player that always causes us massive problems when we play against him, but will immediately become useless the moment he signs for us.

It's certainly not fat by any means and it may be the fitting training tops, but he certainly looks to have put on a few pounds since I last saw him play

I like Aluko as he's always looked very good when I've seen him play against us. His stats for reading aren't great for goals and assists I don't think but at 32 he's still got a year or so left in him I would imagine.  He's definitely worth taking a look at given our current difficulties as at the least he'd add competition in the ranks. 

Baldock am more on the fence with but again probably worth taking a look at to see what we think of him. 

11 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Sone Aluko is the kind of player that always causes us massive problems when we play against him, but will immediately become useless the moment he signs for us.

Which is more often than not is because we entirely failed to understand what he and the team he was playing for actually did that caused us those problems, and then we wonder why he struggles to do something completely different...

1 minute ago, duncanjwitham said:

Which is more often than not is because we entirely failed to understand what he and the team he was playing for actually did that caused us those problems, and then we wonder why he struggles to do something completely different...

Are you suggesting that our method of signing players by going "he's looked alright in recent months!" and only worrying about how to fit them in once we've signed them is a flawed way of approaching the transfer market? But it's served us so well!

12 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Are you suggesting that our method of signing players by going "he's looked alright in recent months!" and only worrying about how to fit them in once we've signed them is a flawed way of approaching the transfer market? But it's served us so well!

That's a bit ambitious for our current policy, "he looked alright, briefly, five to ten years ago"

Edited by Coconut

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

That's a bit ambitious for our current policy, "he looked alright, briefly, five to ten years ago"

You’re right. In my mind’s eye the Blackman, Johnson, Butterfield days were very recent. Actually half a decade ago now.

https://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2021/7/1/22558746/sone-aluko-sam-baldock-departures-signal-fresh-start-reading-fc-royals

The day is finally here: Sone Aluko and Sam Baldock are now officially off Reading’s wage bill. Both from a financial and footballing point of view, their departures are good news for the club. Reading simply did not get anything close to a good enough return on the millions of pounds spent in transfer fees and wages: Aluko managed five goals and eight assists in 102 appearances, while Baldock provided 11 goals and five assists in 74 appearances.

Just about every Championship club is saying the same thing now, the need to get the high-earners off their payroll, the need to halve their wage bills. It looks like one-year deals are the best that many are going to be offered if they fancy a game, and you have to play your heart out like Kazim-Richards did to get it extended.

Both are average Champ players which is currently where we're at as a club, looking at our squad now would I be happy to have these sign, yes I would as I think they would give us options going forward. These are the type of signings for a lower mid-table club and after last season I would take that.

19 minutes ago, Stockyram92 said:

Don't see a problem here, both steady championship players 

And the big thing is, we're not doing what we did so many times and paying stupid money for them. Waghorn, Blackman, Butterfield, Malone etc would all have probably been decent enough signings if we'd paid what their previous clubs paid for them, not what we paid for them.