Sone Aluko (Gone to Ipswich) & Sam Baldock (Signed)

Bubbles

Baldock isn't a player you play up front on his own. Featured in 20 games last season, didn't score.

Hes unlikely to get more than 5 goals in a season.

Hes doesn't add anything to the team, but he is another player

There seems to be an assumption that because these players are training with us, they will be in our starting line-up. 

I think at this stage they are just training with us. It's possible none of them will sign contracts. 

We need eleven to start the first game so are keeping our options maximised in the hope we might be able to sign better options by August. 

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

There seems to be an assumption that because these players are training with us, they will be in our starting line-up. 

I think at this stage they are just training with us. It's possible none of them will sign contracts. 

We need eleven to start the first game so are keeping our options maximised in the hope we might be able to sign better options by August. 

I agree with this. Also there is the possibility we might just sign competent players on short term deals so that we can sort the accounts out which in turn would clear up any penalty which would remove the embargo, we would then be a more transparent option to any potential takeover. If this were to happen we could then look where we are come the January window and move on from there. Very risky though as we wouldn’t want to be adrift with a points deduction and unable to attract and good signings or anyone to take us over. 

We are in very choppy waters at the minute and just have to hope Rooney is the steady hand we need and the squad we can assemble is good enough to see us through to calmer times. 

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Baldock isn't a player you play up front on his own. Featured in 20 games last season, didn't score.

Hes unlikely to get more than 5 goals in a season.

Hes doesn't add anything to the team, but he is another player

Only 501 minutes of actual football though. 2 assists in that time.
The previous season he scored 6 and assisted 2 in 1245 minutes in all competitions - 1 goal contribution every 156 minutes
The season before that is was 7 goal contributions in 1539 minutes - 1 every 220 minutes

I see these as higher risk than the centre half’s (Jags, Steerman).

Experienced Champ centre halves could easily do a better (or even more easily, no worse than) last years centre halves. Not too many fast forwards in this division which will tear them a new one. Occasionally they will of course be embarrassed.

Solving the scoring goals problem with freebies sounds much harder. Getting many in and taking a look at them seems a logical (only) way of doing it. Hopefully one or two could be a good fit like CKR and Chris Martin in the past.

Quite possible that some (attackers) are being released not because the manager of released team did not want them just/only because of budget.

11 minutes ago, Philmycock said:

I like the sound of Baldock's potential:

"Baldock on the other hand has often been a victim of system. The archetypal channel runner alongside a target man, typically in a 4-4-2, he was rarely given an opportunity in that setup at Reading. Attempts by various managers to turn him into a winger or lone striker generally ended in failure, and he given scarce opportunities in the first anyway under Jose Gomes and Veljko Paunovic."

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I like the sound of Baldock's potential:

"Baldock on the other hand has often been a victim of system. The archetypal channel runner alongside a target man, typically in a 4-4-2, he was rarely given an opportunity in that setup at Reading. Attempts by various managers to turn him into a winger or lone striker generally ended in failure, and he given scarce opportunities in the first anyway under Jose Gomes and Veljko Paunovic."

Sounds perfect for us, we love playing strikers like this on the wing or up top in their own