Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

6 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Shame about Kain Ryan leaving, he looked to be one of the better defensive prospects we've produced recently ?

I thought Grewal-Pollard looked good at CH but Bardell played instead of him last night. To do with McDonald taking the FB spot @Ghost of Clough? Edit: is Solomon injured?

Edited by RoyMac5

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Exactly. 

You can't blame the kids, they dream of playing for their country or in the Champions League. Not going to do the latter with Derby County anytime soon! (Although probably not with Brighton, either. ?)

The monetary lure we as a club can’t compete with Premiership teams, however as an academy providing a pathway to first team opportunity, I’d suspect we must be right bang up there with anyone right now.

Providing we weather this current financial storm, with new owners, If you were an aspiring footballer looking for a career, Derby academy, with all our facilities, impressive track record, you would join Derby academy. No wonder the likes of Luke Plange want to come to Derby, let alone any kid at junior level.

Any grass roots coach should be recommending Derby to his players and we rightly should be attracting top talent; that’s our current advantage.

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Getting a bit tired of these youngsters getting 5 years use of state of the art facilities, coaching, nutritionists,  educational welfare assistance and top end end injury treatment and contracts which they get at the expense of another would have loved it, then pissing all over it .  Wish him nothing but a crap career.  Sounds bitter, it should.  

Context: imagine working as a junior IT technician at Derby Uni, learning the ropes but with a chance to eventually be head of the computer team. Apple contact you with an offer which could potentially lead to being their head IT guy 

19 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Context: imagine working as a junior IT technician at Derby Uni, learning the ropes but with a chance to eventually be head of the computer team. Apple contact you with an offer which could potentially lead to being their head IT guy 

Context-  Your talking Bayern Munich not Brighton and in the real world that job offer not happening as a 15 year old making tea.

2 hours ago, Taribo said:

Would it be that difficult for these youngsters to wait until their 17th birthday, then sign a contract for Derby, immediately followed by a transfer to the 'big' club and earn Derby a few million, instead of the paltry compensation they receive atm?

I've said previously that Bellingham did this at Birmingham, the result, £25M for Blues and Bellingham still got his move to a big club, all for the sake of waiting a few months. The deal was agreed some time before his 17th birthday, surely our academy needs to try and sort this out. That's now 3 key youngsters lost in the last 3 years for a pittance, the difference between administration and solvency.

I can understand the frustrations of those who feel that we've been short changed, even though we're a Cat 1 academy.

Then what happens when they do this, and one of two things happen….

1. They continue to do well and Derby then prove them out the market and the buying club don’t see the value in the gamble

2. They don’t do so well….the buying club lose interest and go elsewhere…do you think Derby will have some sympathy and reimburse or offer more time to or do you think they’ll already have their eye on the next big thing in the academy and cast him aside without a second f ing thought…..

let me tell you…..these clubs don’t give two hoots…..I never begrudge a footballer of any age taking care of himself. These clubs no matter what you think are interested in one thing and one thing only and when you don’t figure in that you may as well be a lump of poo on their shoe….

Its every club and it’s every big business in any other industry at all. That’s just the way it is.

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

shame Plange cant be picked for the first team - its a crime really, we have the embargo, points penalty yet we cant promote u23 players..

He can play from the bench and have 2 starts without being part of the 25 man squad we are allowed (as I understand it)

42 minutes ago, sage said:

He can play from the bench and have 2 starts without being part of the 25 man squad we are allowed (as I understand it)

That's better then ..the Rooney quote said he couldn't play..

"You see Luke Plange last night in the under-23s, again scoring and putting in a very good performance against Arsenal. It is a shame I can't use him for embargo reasons which I don't understand, if I am being honest.

"We are denying a young player an opportunity which he deserves to come into the first-team. I don't get it, I really don't. It is disappointing and upsetting for him and for his family.

"If I was a parent of that player I would really think about taking the player out of the football club because there is no progression. Is that what really we want to see? No, it's not. So something needs to happen, something needs to change, and quickly."

Edited by Yani P