Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

Interesting comparison between Mengi and Cashin.
I know Cashin was the busier but looked very good to me, and hopefully will get game time especially if we let one of our CBs go and collect their pension.

Williams and Watson also stood out, and i presume Marshall was in, so someone could take a look at him?

1 hour ago, Quagga said:

Interesting comparison between Mengi and Cashin.
I know Cashin was the busier but looked very good to me, and hopefully will get game time especially if we let one of our CBs go and collect their pension.

Williams and Watson also stood out, and i presume Marshall was in, so someone could take a look at him?

I can’t believe how differently people see the game sometimes.

I felt Watson was ineffective. Didn’t dictate possession at all and rarely looked to contribute something that changed the game. Williams looked a little off it to me too. His touch wasn’t great and I don’t think he put in one decent delivery all night. 

Cashin needs to be careful. If he considers for a moment that he’s a ball playing centre half who can spray the ball about he will end up with a short career. If he concentrates on doing what he is good at which is defending and giving the ball to the ball players he’ll have a career beyond his ability levels. 

Edited by Ravabeerbelly

8 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

I can’t believe how differently people see the game sometimes.

I felt Watson was ineffective. Didn’t dictate possession at all and rarely looked to contribute something that changed the game. Williams looked a little off it to me too. His touch wasn’t great and I don’t think he put in one decent delivery all night. 

Cashin needs to be careful. If he considers for a moment that he’s a ball playing centre half who can spray the ball about he will end up with a short career. If he concentrates on doing what he is good at which is defending and giving the ball to the ball players he’ll have a career beyond his ability levels. 

I didn’t see it like that at all. 

Mostly because I didn’t go to the game and I couldn’t get bloody Rams TV to work. 

Watson our best player by a mile tonight. He was playing deeper than he usually does because Liam Thompson is presumably with the first team squad this weekend and Jordan Brown is injured. Really kept the ball well under tremendous pressure and started all our counter attacks. Very Bird-like! 

Williams didn't make the most of the excellent runs he made, was being closed down very quickly and it affected his delivery but he gets in good positions and will do better against lesser teams.

Luke Plange is growing in confidence with every game; this was a tough one for him but he stuck at his task, as did Cybulski.

I though Cashin was excellent, but agree about some of his long balls. Felt he was trying to vary it a bit, taking pressure off a tiring midfield.

Was very impressed with young  Darren Robinson when he came on. Strong and good vision, passing was excellent. 

Promising young goalkeeper! ?

43 minutes ago, angieram said:

Watson our best player by a mile tonight. He was playing deeper than he usually does because Liam Thompson is presumably with the first team squad this weekend and Jordan Brown is injured. Really kept the ball well under tremendous pressure and started all our counter attacks. Very Bird-like! 

Williams didn't make the most of the excellent runs he made, was being closed down very quickly and it affected his delivery but he gets in good positions and will do better against lesser teams.

Luke Plange is growing in confidence with every game; this was a tough one for him but he stuck at his task, as did Cybulski.

I though Cashin was excellent, but agree about some of his long balls. Felt he was trying to vary it a bit, taking pressure off a tiring midfield.

Was very impressed with young  Darren Robinson when he came on. Strong and good vision, passing was excellent. 

Promising young goalkeeper! ?

I also thought Watson was excellent tonight, in a deeper role than I've seen him play before.

Looked like he could sit and control the play going forward, made some lovely passes, although the single camera angle made it hard to judge his contribution defensively.

How did you think he coped in that regard, @angieram, seeing as you were present?

8 hours ago, Rev said:

I also thought Watson was excellent tonight, in a deeper role than I've seen him play before.

Looked like he could sit and control the play going forward, made some lovely passes, although the single camera angle made it hard to judge his contribution defensively.

How did you think he coped in that regard, @angieram, seeing as you were present?

Really difficult to judge as nearly all Man Utd's attacks came down the flanks as we pushed the full backs on (a la the first team). 

He did position himself well on edge of box to cut out several cross field balls, but had very little to deal with running through centre.

Man Utd team not physically imposing at all - in fact unusually looked to have less stature about them than we did - so very little played in the air. 

I agree that most of the MU attacks came down the flanks but that wasn’t due to the full backs being high.

We didn’t really play like the 1st team at all….we actually played a 442 diamond with 2 up front (Plange amd Cybulski) with Sibley as the 10 and Watson played at the bottom of the diamond. It left Hutchinson and Aghatise exposed as they played central midfield with no wide players to assist them. Bardell and Williams played as traditional full backs and we’re often pinned back during spells of Man U pressure. 

My own personal opinion is apart from a spell early in the first half where Watson picked the ball up off the back 4 he didn’t affect the game at all and certainly didn’t dictate possession….and this is from someone who strongly believes this to be his best position / role not further up the pitch. Second half Man U pressed much more intensely and he struggled to get on the ball at all. Not easy for him because as I say Cashin seems to have decided he’s Virgil Van Dyke and wanted to hit diagonals all first half. 

I actually thought we looked better second half when Aghatise went off. I’m not sure he offered a great deal in possession and it looked better balanced second half.

28 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

I agree that most of the MU attacks came down the flanks but that wasn’t due to the full backs being high.

We didn’t really play like the 1st team at all….we actually played a 442 diamond with 2 up front (Plange amd Cybulski) with Sibley as the 10 and Watson played at the bottom of the diamond. It left Hutchinson and Aghatise exposed as they played central midfield with no wide players to assist them. Bardell and Williams played as traditional full backs and we’re often pinned back during spells of Man U pressure. 

My own personal opinion is apart from a spell early in the first half where Watson picked the ball up off the back 4 he didn’t affect the game at all and certainly didn’t dictate possession….and this is from someone who strongly believes this to be his best position / role not further up the pitch. Second half Man U pressed much more intensely and he struggled to get on the ball at all. Not easy for him because as I say Cashin seems to have decided he’s Virgil Van Dyke and wanted to hit diagonals all first half. 

I actually thought we looked better second half when Aghatise went off. I’m not sure he offered a great deal in possession and it looked better balanced second half.

I sat right on halfway line and Bardell's starting position was  regularly in Man Utd's half, similarly Williams in second half. I think towards end of match Bardell in particular tired and dropped back, Cashin was screaming at him to get back up the pitch at times.

Agree about the lack of space for Sibley and Hutchinson, because we were playing so high they were compressed in against Man Utd's defence and it didn't suit them at all. 

Totally disagree about Watson, I thought he had a great game, but I do agree about Aghatise. Not his best game and Robinson was more effective after he came on.

I think you're being harsh on Cashin because he did hit a few long balls late on but most of game was starting attacks up the flanks through Bardell and Williams or forward to Watson. One of his long balls very nearly put Plange in, so a tactic worth trying as a variation when under pressure.

Interestingly, one of the things I often hear Bird criticised for is that he doesn't make himself available for the pass out of defence. I thought Watson was excellent at that last night, and held the ball in very tight situations and played it on under some tremendous pressure from the Man Utd players at times.

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

Bardell's starting position was  regularly in Man Utd's half, similarly Williams in second half. I think towards end of match Bardell in particular tired and dropped back, Cashin was screaming at him to get back up the pitch at times.

Yes in possession. As is the starting position for all full backs these days. But we didn’t play similar to the 1st team it was a completely different formation and the reason they got in down the flanks is due to the flat back four and no wide midfield players. For me that came from poor pressing from the front two who allowed them to play out wide where they had an overload when they should’ve been forcing through the middle where we had defensive nos.

Agree about the lack of space for Sibley and Hutchinson, because we were playing so high they were compressed in against Man Utd's defence and it didn't suit them at all.

Sibley yes. He was lost. Hutchinson had a great deal of joy from midway through first half until around 75 minutes and in that time all our best work came through him including the goal. 

Interestingly, one of the things I often hear Bird criticised for is that he doesn't make himself available for the pass out of defence. I thought Watson was excellent at that last night, and held the ball in very tight situations and played it on under some tremendous pressure from the Man Utd players at times.

That’s the role of the deep lying midfielder. But they have to progress the ball or no ones getting out. Even at my age I could sit deep where there least pressure on the balk and pass it sideways. For me Watson played one good pass to put Plange in to set up Sibley in first half but the rest of the time his passing was vanilla and didn’t affect the game at all.

Of course it’s just opinions and respect that ?

Edited by Ravabeerbelly