The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'm gutted ?

I'm unlikey to see Derby win anything in my lifetime at this rate and if it takes another 55 years for England to reach a final won't see them win anything either.  We started so brightly but let the Italians back into it, the match was there for the taking but we were far to defensive.

It feels like a massive missed opportunity, especially after Pickford kept us in it with a terrific save from Jorginho.  I ducked hate penalties.  Were they 3 of the best 5 we have left on the pitch?  If you're gonna have a stupid stuttery run up at least pick out a corner but they were just awful and if you miss 3 from 12 yds you deserve to lose. 

It’s almost like we let a 19 year old kid take the most important penalty in 55 years ?

Thought the England team did us proud. 

The fans once again brought shame on the country and probably cost us any chance of getting another tournament in the next twenty years. 

Don't blame the penalty takers. They were brave enough to step up to the plate. 

I have grown to respect this England team and will support them again as they try to bring it home from Qatar. 

1 minute ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I would rather have lost to two goals in the second half. The choice of penalty takers was incomprehensible and putting two cold players on to take them was ridiculous, let alone asking a child to take the 5th. Shame for the goalkeeper who made a couple of great saves. ???????

100% 

Tell you what though, I’m sick of hearing we’re a young squad and we’ve got loads of time ahead of us. I’ve heard that every tournament since 1986, this was our chance at home as well. We need to get a winning mentality, gutted 

3 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I would rather have lost to two goals in the second half. The choice of penalty takers was incomprehensible and putting two cold players on to take them was ridiculous, let alone asking a child to take the 5th. Shame for the goalkeeper who made a couple of great saves. ???????

I thought it was a strange decision, the kind it's easy to say is ridiculous after the event if it fails. But that England team didn't contain children and it's a bit insulting to suggest that. 

7 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I wasn’t suggesting he should force them - but when they’ve spent 5 weeks practicing penalties I’d have expected a few of the more senior players to step up rather than hide - and the manager should have been working on that. Henderson for example - hugely experienced, Liverpool captain, yet subbed off because he hasn’t got the balls to take a penalty. Saka will get all the crap but some of the others need to look in the mirror and ask why they let that situation happen….

I'm not giving Saka crap. I wouldn't imagine Henderson doesn't have the balls, he just isn't very good at them. 

Weirdly I can actually thank Derby's last couple of seasons for not feeling that down about this. England's (and Southgate's) performance from the second half onward was VERY recognisable - so I'd come to terms with the loss before the 90 minutes were up.

Shame, was a really good tournament. 

8 minutes ago, Derbados said:

Better team won, but we won’t win anything with Southgate, ever. I love the bloke, he’s smart, articulate, likeable but he’s just doesn’t have that nouse, that experience that it takes to win the Euros / World Cup. Mancini absolutely schooled Southgate tonight 

Schooled him with a 1-1 draw?

The outcome of a penalty shootout has very little to do with Mancini or Southgate's nouse.

There was a reason Saka was taken off v Denmark. Grealish should have been on sooner. There, I've saved everyone a post (or not read any of the previous ones!).

Rant over, well done England. Thought Italy just about were the better team specially in 2nd half. Shows we can go toe-to-toe with best European team.

Edited by TimRam

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Tell you what though, I’m sick of hearing we’re a young squad and we’ve got loads of time ahead of us. I’ve heard that every tournament since 1986, this was our chance at home as well. We need to get a winning mentality, gutted 

Only you haven't heard that, you either have a poor memory or your venting. 

Never in that time have we had not just such a young squad, but one that's so deep.  In previous years we were always one or two injuries away from being out of contention. 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm not giving Saka crap. I wouldn't imagine Henderson doesn't have the balls, he just isn't very good at them. 

JJ pretty much said as much. Almost laughed and said he won't be taking one. 

Grealish was the one that surprised me. And it'd have been nice to have had Mount on. 

23 minutes ago, sage said:

They have a better team and come bring fresh legs on in midfield. We had a choice of Henderson coming back from long term injury and a 17 yr old lad.  

Mancini has been getting credit for getting players into his squad from so called "unfashionable" clubs. 

Perhaps Gareth Southgate should widen his recruitment net, then he might not have to take injured players to tournament. 

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I thought it was a strange decision, the kind it's easy to say is ridiculous after the event if it fails. But that England team didn't contain children and it's a bit insulting to suggest that. 

Legally the England player did contain a child but I am pretty sure you understand my point and that the 5th penalty in a major final is not the place for an inexperienced 19 year old who, to be honest, I had never heard of before this tournament. 

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

JJ pretty much said as much. Almost laughed and said he won't be taking one. 

Grealish was the one that surprised me. And it'd have been nice to have had Mount on. 

Grealish missed the last penalty he took and that was 2 seasons ago.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Schooled him with a 1-1 draw?

The outcome of a penalty shootout has very little to do with Mancini or Southgate's nouse.

Nonsense 

Mancini was 1-0 down after 2 minutes. His tactics, proactiveness of substitutions, experience and general nouse won them this game. 

Italy are unbeaten in 30+ games under Mancini, after we scored the goal he changed it up and they absolutely dominated us.

we’ve got a better team and squad than Italy, 100%, and he made Southgate look like an amateur. 

6 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Only you haven't heard that, you either have a poor memory or your venting. 

Never in that time have we had not just such a young squad, but one that's so deep.  In previous years we were always one or two injuries away from being out of contention. 

That’s all I’ve heard on the telly every year by the experts, that’s all that’s been said on the BBC tonight, they’ll learn from this. It’s BS it can’t keep rolling on tournament  after tournament, we should of won it. This was our best chance and we bottled it, too defensive and didn’t build on a great start. 55 years and counting 

Edited by TexasRam