The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

Day

I see Gary Lineker apologised for the images and try to pass the buck to whoever supplied them, but the BBC could have cut away earlier - it was very distressing to watch and there should be some comeback imo.

Having said that, it did show the how quickly the ref responded to what was unfolding and the impressive work by the medical staff ?

Furthermore, Kjaer's role in checking Eriksen hadn't swallowed his tongue and putting him in the recovery position and Schmeichel for keeping a cool head and literally being everywhere he was needed without getting in the way was also hugely impressive.  I'm pretty sure I would have been one of the ones turning away feeling sick.

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I see Gary Lineker apologised for the images and try to pass the buck to whoever supplied them, but the BBC could have cut away earlier - it was very distressing to watch and there should be some comeback imo.

Having said that, it did show the how quickly the ref responded to what was unfolding and the impressive work by the medical staff ?

Furthermore, Kjaer's role in checking Eriksen hadn't swallowed his tongue and putting him in the recovery position and Schmeichel for keeping a cool head and literally being everywhere he was needed without getting in the way was also hugely impressive.  I'm pretty sure I would have been one of the ones turning away feeling sick.

You could have turned it off

8 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The comeback should be on the director. They could have continued to watch what was happening from further away. Whilst it was distressing to watch, especially the close-ups, it was almost impossible to stop as I was desperate to see for myself that he was regaining consciousness.

38 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

What a stupid rule, if it's going to him and clearly for him and hes a mile offside when the ball is literally played to him, hes offside!

No interfering with play? Without Lukaka in an offside position, defender never even touches it and keeper collects unchallenged 

Garbage rule isn't it. If Lukaku isn't stood offside then the defender can leave it. Perhaps he should just walk off to the half way line and just avoid the ball at all costs. Garbage. Another rule written by people who've never played football.

7 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

As @RoyMac5 said above, you end up kinda transfixed to it and its only later you think that maybe I shouldn't have watched that.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The comeback should be on the director. 

They are quick to cut away when a 'fan' runs onto the pitch - to the point where I can't remember the last time I saw one.  Keep returning to close ups of Eriksen when he was clearly in trouble was irresponsible.  The first minute or so was understandable, he could have just fainted etc but continuing to try to get angles of CPR through players legs and close-ups of his wife crying was taking things to far and common sense should have prevailed earlier. 

I don't particularly want to dwell on it further other than to say that it gave me an appreciation for the medical staff and the players who went above and beyond in upsetting circumstances. 

15 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Garbage rule isn't it. If Lukaku isn't stood offside then the defender can leave it. Perhaps he should just walk off to the half way line and just avoid the ball at all costs. Garbage. Another rule written by people who've never played football.

Daft that VAR deliberately look for possible offsides in the run up to goals (and will go back 5 out 6 passes) yet that doesn’t apply if a defender is involved. If Lukaku hadn’t been offside in the first place he wouldn’t have been in position to pick up the loose ball….. offside should have been flagged as soon as the cross came in…..

28 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

So you're comfortable with the BBC airing anything because there is the option to turn it off?

Personally I am happy with tv stations airing anything, as long as I am not having to fund the channel.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you're comfortable with the BBC airing anything because there is the option to turn it off?

Personally I am happy with tv stations airing anything, as long as I am not having to fund the channel.

Oh dear, oh dear. It's not all or nothing. Don't be so silly.

You don't have to fund it. You can opt not to have the BBC.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don’t you fund every channel you watch ?

40 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Oh dear, oh dear. It's not all or nothing. Don't be so silly.

You don't have to fund it. You can opt not to have the BBC.

Silly? It was you that was happy with the BBC basically showing someone dying and told the other poster he could have turned it off.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Nope, dont pay a penny towards ITV or Channel 4 as far as I am aware.

Ok, but do you subscribe to the 200 plus sky channels? I am not sure why it makes a difference if it was on BBC, ITV or SKY, that is the point I was trying to make….

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Silly? It was you that was happy with the BBC basically showing someone dying and told the other poster he could have turned it off.

You seem to have dreamt some of that. The only bit that is accurate is the bit about turning it off.

The illocutionary force related to people taking responsibility for their own viewing rather than relying on the broadcaster to make the decision for them. But you can read 'happy with the BBC' if it cheers you up.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Ok, but do you subscribe to the 200 plus sky channels? I am not sure why it makes a difference if it was on BBC, ITV or SKY, that is the point I was trying to make….

I subscribe to some of them yes.

Difference is, if I dont like what they are showing I can unsubscribe and still continue to watch other channels.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

You seem to have dreamt some of that. The only bit that is accurate is the bit about turning it off.

The illocutionary force related to people taking responsibility for their own viewing rather than relying on the broadcaster to make the decision for them. But you can read 'happy with the BBC' if it cheers you up.

Ok thanks.

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I subscribe to some of them yes.

Difference is, if I dont like what they are showing I can unsubscribe and still continue to watch other channels.

Surely you can unsubscribe from the BBC too…anyway, just glad Eriksen seems to be on the mend ?

28 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

But what if I wanted to watch Denmark vs Finland and it was only available on one channel?

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Surely you can unsubscribe from the BBC too…anyway, just glad Eriksen seems to be on the mend ?

You can but then iirc you can't watch any live tv shows so they have a bit of a stranglehold on your cash - but we're probably straying way off topic for this thread and it is indeed excellent news that Eriksen seems to be okay ?