The UEFA European Championship 2020 Thread

David

37 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

For me, it's not so much about the team Southgate puts out. It's about showing he is tactically astute and flexible enough to analyse and adjust as we are playing. 

Got completely outthought by dario dalic in the WC semi final. Let's see if he has learned from that experience. 

While I think this is true, I think it's just a part of the problem. 

As individuals, I don't hink there's many, if any, teams better than England. But as a cohesive team, I think it's one of the worst in the competition. Interesting to see can Southgate do something for this pet peeve. 

For example, Finland beat Denmark eventhough shots were for the latter 22-1. Well drilled teams can win any game and yesterday Hradecky weren't even really troubled.

6 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

While I think this is true, I think it's just a part of the problem. 

As individuals, I don't hink there's many, if any, teams better than England. But as a cohesive team, I think it's one of the worst in the competition. Interesting to see can Southgate do something for this pet peeve. 

For example, Finland beat Denmark eventhough shots were for the latter 22-1. Well drilled teams can win any game and yesterday Hradecky weren't even really troubled.

Indeed. We haven't had a really successful "backs to the wall" performance for decades. In my lifetime I can only remember the win v Belgium at italia 90 and a really stirring 0-0 away at a talented Italy in 97 to qualify for the WC in 1998. The semi final in 90 was a stirring comeback but we sadly lost the penalty shoot out so not successful. 

Compare that with the number of times I've seen us limply give up leads. Vs Croatia wc2018, Iceland euro 2016, Germany euro 96, Portugal euro 2000, USA wc 2010....

We are not doughty warriors..... 

16 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

We have 2 very good holding/defensive midfielders on the pitch, yet Modric is still finding space and pulling the strings ???‍♂️ How ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

He's one of the best players in the world?

17 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

We have 2 very good holding/defensive midfielders on the pitch, yet Modric is still finding space and pulling the strings ???‍♂️ How ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

They aren't that good, and one of them is playing a sweeper who points and the other is getting forward more than defending.

Decent half. 

First 5 mins was worrying, 2nd to everything and brushed off every 50-50, then Foden hit the post and we quickened up the pace and started to dominate.  Tired a bit as the half went on but haven't really been tested at the back.  Could have, maybe should have been leading at half time but never-the-less a good half on balance.

If we can grab the first goal in the second half, I can see us picking them off for 2 or 3 after.  The longer it goes on all square though I can see Croatia's experience nicking a 1-0 for them.  Hope I'm wrong!

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

What an utterly bizarre thing to say, you can’t be 100% sure of anything, you don’t know me for a start. 

I’ll say it again, the only person that’s mentioned anything to do with gender and now sexism is you, I’m not the one with the issue here 

Typical Muespach trolling. Identify it early and don't get drawn in.

I just found it rather mawkish, but eh we move on.

Edited by Coconut