Sheffield Wednesday Mess

Day

46 minutes ago, David said:

Wasn’t just Marlon Pack, our season didn’t just hinge on that one goal, as it didn’t with Waghorn’s penalty either 

It did at that stage. If those two things had not happened then we would have gone done. Up to that point, all previous events were unchangeable but those two were still able to go either way until they became history.

6 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

At that point our season quite literally did hinge on it though... 

But we won games, drew games and scored goals to get to that point.

We could have easily have lost a game elsewhere and it wouldn’t matter.

Can’t credit our Championship status on Marlon Pack’s goal alone.

7 minutes ago, David said:

But we won games, drew games and scored goals to get to that point.

We could have easily have lost a game elsewhere and it wouldn’t matter.

Can’t credit our Championship status on Marlon Pack’s goal alone.

You're not wrong about the cumulative effect to get us to that point but with 10 minutes to go our league standing did rest on a goal at cardiff and a goal at our place. It is to an extent arbitrary that we look at that match but I guess timing does matter and some moments are more crucial than others especially in how we process them. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

You're not wrong about the cumulative effect to get us to that point but with 10 minutes to go our league standing did rest on a goal at cardiff and a goal at our place. It is to an extent arbitrary that we look at that match but I guess timing does matter and some moments are more crucial than others especially in how we process them. 

Waghorn’s brace helped as well

29 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

No, it's not bad to say that. Big love for the bloke and he nearly saved Wednesday after the season that had.

Literally would love to swap back rooms. I think, tell me if I’m wrong, but he was meant to be the manager if we didn’t get Cocu?. How much I wish it had happened 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

No, it's not bad to say that. Big love for the bloke and he nearly saved Wednesday after the season that had.

nowhere near! The bloke that was interim for about 12 games nearly saved them, Moore actually took them backwards. I still love him though.

On 31/05/2021 at 19:31, David said:

Wasn’t just Marlon Pack, our season didn’t just hinge on that one goal, as it didn’t with Waghorn’s penalty either 

We stayed up because Sheffield Wednesday had a points deduction. Had they not we would be in League One.

8 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

We stayed up because Sheffield Wednesday had a points deduction. Had they not we would be in League One.

Mentality changes had they not had one, can’t change the script after the event. 

Sad state of affairs with Wednesday and a real shame for one of the oldest football clubs in the world.  My Owls mate describes Chansiri as a '"megalomaniac loon who thinks he doesn't need to play by the rules " and now genuinely feels if relegation wasn't bad enough, they stand a real chance of going into administration.  Much as you can argue, like with Mel, bad decisions have created financial issues, with so many clubs in trouble, highlighted of course by the revenue shortfalls of lockdown, someone (Sports Minister?) really should be looking at the constraints levied by the EFL as a possible cause for a lot of this, made worse by the promised nirvana of getting into the PL. The whole thing is an absolute mess.

They're one step further down the line than us in the infection process am afraid, what's happening to them is in the post if Morris doesn't either sort the club finances out or sort a new buyer out tout suite. 

Chansiri gets some stick and I know he employed Gary Monk but he's the main architect in this disaster too and gets overlooked somewhat. 

Again proves how fine the margins are. They lost the play-off final to a wonderful goal from Diame in the season when Hull knocked us out in the semis. If they won that game, they might not still be there now but financially they'd be fine due to the imbalance between the two tiers. It's the same with us. If we got ourselves over the line we may have came back down but I doubt we'd be suffering these problems today. The fans' view towards the owners would also be vastly, vastly different.

18 hours ago, David said:

Mentality changes had they not had one, can’t change the script after the event. 

I’m not talking about mentality, just stating a fact. Without the points deduction they would’ve had more points than us after 46 games.

It’s quite a sad state of affairs that we were only better than two teams from League One (one that was 8th when their season finished) and only survived because another team had a points deduction.

6 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

I’m not talking about mentality, just stating a fact. Without the points deduction they would’ve had more points than us after 46 games.

It’s quite a sad state of affairs that we were only better than two teams from League One (one that was 8th when their season finished) and only survived because another team had a points deduction.

On paper. But we coasted through the last 12 games because we saw a large gap and thought we were safe. If they never had the points deduction our application during the final quarter of the season would have been different - especially the final game of the season where we would have gone all out for the win to guarantee safety

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On paper. But we coasted through the last 12 games because we saw a large gap and thought we were safe. If they never had the points deduction our application during the final quarter of the season would have been different - especially the final game of the season where we would have gone all out for the win to guarantee safety

quite right.  I think they only got a point from Hudders so without the pressure of a points deduction they may have won both.  With the season over we could have beaten them on the final game.  Nobody knows how it would have worked out